Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New High Viz Jacket:)

Re 56 and senior?

I am indeed 56 and riding with my new Bright Olympia Jacket is something new to me, as I have ridden with traditional black everything over the years. I feel safer with the new color scheme, but also know riding for 40+ years, motorists are never to be trusted and we never can forget it. I'm on the leading edge of senior'ism at 56, I guess and the new high viz jacket purchase for me was a moment of knowing I'm older, wanting to be seen more and just "perhaps" I don't have the same youthful reflexes anymore. Any edge is a positive thing. I still ride faster than ever too and have much need to keep on doing it, on and off road into my 70's,80's plus. Happy Trails, Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    I am indeed 56 and riding with my new Bright Olympia Jacket is something new to me, as I have ridden with traditional black everything over the years. I feel safer with the new color scheme, but also know riding for 40+ years, motorists are never to be trusted and we never can forget it. I'm on the leading edge of senior'ism at 56, I guess and the new high viz jacket purchase for me was a moment of knowing I'm older, wanting to be seen more and just "perhaps" I don't have the same youthful reflexes anymore. Any edge is a positive thing. I still ride faster than ever too and have much need to keep on doing it, on and off road into my 70's,80's plus. Happy Trails, Randy
    Ditto exactly !!!
    Mike & Robin Fifer http://www.n-scale-model-trains.com/ 2002 R1150RT Current
    1995 K75S Sold
    1996 R1100RT sold

Hi Viz really gets your attention

Today, I caught site of his hi-viz jacket before I could see the headlight of his bike -- a BMW GS rider rounded a curve and I noticed him immediately -- the jacket was distinctly contrasted from the background. It made an impression on me.
    Last edited by TexanRT; 01-04-2009 at 12:12 AM. Reason: edit
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA
    BMW R1200RT | HD Road Glide

I just received my new hi-viz Darian yesterday. Slapped on along with all my other goodies and hit the road to see how many people I could blind. I must say, while I'm sure some of the people were looking at me as if I was crazy being out on the road on a bike yesterday, I did honestly see someone in a minivan actually pretend to shield his eyes as I went past him. I think he must be a motorbike rider who is aware of the talk about how bright the jackets are when they are new. I really don't think a non-rider would act in this manner. My only question to all of you is just how long will it take to get this think broke in? It almost stands up in the corner by itself!

masonke
    Quote Originally Posted by stkmkt1 View Post
    My only question to all of you is just how long will it take to get this think broke in? It almost stands up in the corner by itself!
    Remove the pads and liner, the throw it in a front loading washing machine with a little soap to get the sizing out of it. Makes the world of difference

Good point;

My Olympia is stiff too and needs a break in. I think one should probably keep the "dryer" heat on low,warm or cold, however. The higher heat may do something to the waterproof membrane,etc? Just a guess. Maybe the wash thing is a good idea too and just hang dry it? I think I may just "wear mine in" for a while yet and see if it loosens up. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by stkmkt1 View Post
    My only question to all of you is just how long will it take to get this think broke in?
    The best way to break it in is lots and lots of miles, especially if they include some bad weather. (Gee, honey, I'd love to work on the house, but I need to break in my jacket...)
    '12 K1600 GT

What is it you intend to do with your one wild and precious life? - Mary Oliver

jlelandcook

Olympia Hi Viz Jacket

I bought the Hi viz jacket and took it on a trip in Oct. Riding with friends got separated in a rain storm. They said they saw me about 3/4 mile away when I had made a turn. Also had a crash on that trip and I didn't recieve a scratch. Hit another motorcycle and then hit the ground. Jacket was fine just a little dirty due to asphalt.

Hey, Jlelandcood-welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy yourself here. You might fill out a little info in your profile. We especially like to know where people call home, what they ride ... whatever.
    Dan

jlelandcook Welcome !!!!
    I see you are a commo tech , for whom?
    I had 32 years with Mountain States Telephone and Telegraph , US West and Qwest , and now a contractor for the Army.

Mike
    1995 K75S Sold
    1996 R1100RT sold

masonke
    My Olympia is stiff too and needs a break in. I think one should probably keep the "dryer" heat on low,warm or cold, however. The higher heat may do something to the waterproof membrane,etc? Just a guess. Maybe the wash thing is a good idea too and just hang dry it? I think I may just "wear mine in" for a while yet and see if it loosens up. Randy
    I just hung it up on a suit hanger and let it air dry over the bathtub. Same with the pants.

jlelandcook
    Quote Originally Posted by mfifer View Post
    jlelandcook Welcome !!!!
    I see you are a commo tech , for whom?
    I had 32 years with Mountain States Telephone and Telegraph , US West and Qwest , and now a contractor for the Army.

Mike
    Mike,
    I'm a com. tech. with AT&T; originally SWBT. I've worked in OK my whole career 34 years. Enjoyed most of it. They will have to kill me and haul me away from the job I have now. Great boss and enjoy the work.

Leland

Quote Originally Posted by jlelandcook View Post
    Mike,
    I'm a com. tech. with AT&T; originally SWBT. I've worked in OK my whole career 34 years. Enjoyed most of it. They will have to kill me and haul me away from the job I have now. Great boss and enjoy the work.

Leland
    Good for you . I hated the micro-manage at the end. I like the work now , been fired 3 times and once the boss decides I have been right he tells me not to go.
    Nice to know you don't HAVE to go to work.

Mike
    1995 K75S Sold
    1996 R1100RT sold

A follow up, high viz road trip:)

This past week, I rode the GSA1200 to Big Bend NP.,Texas, N.Mexico and Arizona. In Tucson as I type, heading home to N.California soon. 2400 miles of High Viz jacket, breakin riding. Its been great and COLD out there in the SW. The "teens" were common overnight and early mornings, everyday. Mid morning brought better temps, however into the 40s and 50,s for highs. The Olympia High Viz Jacket has performed very well, without issues and I have worn my electric vest a lot too, but never cold, riding these winter days in the south Horn of Texas, etc...Its been a really good choice for a new jacket. Many comments from all folks out there on the road, including cage drivers. I've seen a few other BMW riders on this trip with the High Viz jacket on, but only a few as winter keeps many home, I suspect.
    My summary of my new jacket, which I have found exceptional; AST Jacket PROS: Color equals "great" in High Viz yellow, zippers are all watertight, rubber type closures over them, vents are very well placed, but not used on this winter trip, fit is perfect at 2X for me(6' and 240lbs.). Liner is first rate and a fashion wear, without overcoat. I wear the liner separate from the overcoat and do not attach the two when worn together. I like this a lot. The jacket still slips easily over the inner liner, without the attachment points used. The jacket/liner is good for me to the mid 40's coolness and then the electric vest goes on. The fit is right on, even with wearing the heated vest. An adjustable waist belt, built in the outer jacket. SOME CONS; Two immediately pop up in mind. The neck area is never a closure thing for me(all m/c coats), as the necks are too tightly designed. I wear a wind triangle from Aerostitch and it does nicely. The cuffs on the jacket have pull tabs over the velcro, that get in the way of gloves going on. I wear the gauntlet types for winter riding and the tabs hang up on the gauntlets. Very minor issue, but there. Summer gloves and the tabs are no problem. The jacket tabs over the wrists are for pulling the velcro apart(useful indeed), when taking the jacket off. Such minor things for a great jacket I like a lot.
    Anyhow, a 3000+ winter trip concluded, with the new "Olympia AST"/GSA1200 and a huge plus added to my gear closet. My previous Kilimanjaro by First Gear was exceptional and I rode it a very long ways. It still hangs with my other gear and a very well earned retirement for it. The new AST has the same, even better qualities....Randy

So far I have only one problem with the hi vis.

It's the traffic lights that do not want to seem to switch for a bike.

In black leather and black helmet, the cars would get right up on my bumper and trigger the thing. With the hi vis, the stay back a good car length. Some of them shade their eyes.

I think I will just deal with it. I love how the cars part and let you pass. Too bad it does not work for the Harley herds.

Love the Hi-Vis.

My friends are all say if some cager gets me with this on, they will personally go the the prosecuting attorney and the trial, take the remnants of the coat and demand justice, the old" I did not see him" defense is not going to work this time.

Rod