Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Puget Sound area commuters?

Don't forget your towel
    "Interesting" ride home this morning, black ice everywhere in West Seattle even after waiting for things to warm up. Had a few front end squiggles coming down 35 Av SW towards the WS Bridge... Heading back to the station at about 0700 I caught the the tail end of a dispatch about a 13 car pile up on (I think) 520. Aparently no injuries. Be careful heading in tomorrow, I don't want to meet any of you on a professional level, OK?
    Steve
    "...your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride" A. Bourdain

Well tomorrow may be a ride day, Finally!

Just checking the weather and while it is suppose to be cold tomorrow, it is suppose to to be dry and NO FOG! Yeah!
    CoyoteBMW
    53 years of BMW's - 1960 R26 and 2007 F800ST!

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    22 degrees and frosty/icy roads this morning.

I let the bike rest in the garage until the sun rose. Once the sun came up, I could see that it was frost and not ice, so I rode in to work. The windchill at 70 mph sure caught my attention
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

At 5 am it wasn't so nice

I got up at my normal time and was really planning on riding. But, temperature 25 degrees, still frost and ice on the ground. Needless to say I didn't ride. When I got to work in my cage, the parking lot was covered with frost and ice. Glad I didn't ride.
    CoyoteBMW
    53 years of BMW's - 1960 R26 and 2007 F800ST!

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerImpersonator View Post
    I see you out there every day on your GS or your C or your RT or your K-bike.

Are you one of the riders I wave/nod my head to as we pass each other?
    I ride from Gold Bar to Georgetown daily... Highway 2 to 522 to 405 to 90 to 5 to WSF/Spokane street to Fourth Ave.

108 rt daily...
    Sometimes the C sometimes the C w/ a Ural chair.
    One is grey the sidecar rig is green.

One morning I rode to work the "long way..."
    From Gold Bar over Stevens Pass, over Bluetts Pass, Roslyn for breakfast, over Snoqualmie Pass and downtown by 11:45 to start work at noon.
    225 miles to work. That was fun.
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

Don't forget your towel
    Quote Originally Posted by grafikfeat View Post
    I ride from Gold Bar to Georgetown daily... Highway 2 to 522 to 405 to 90 to 5 to WSF/Spokane street to Fourth Ave.
    That sounds like a marathon of slow moving heavy traffic...coming and going. Unless you work nights and get to do the "reverse commute".

I was up in Sultan 2 weeks ago for a mushroom farming class, the ground was still semi-frozen, you thawed out in Goldbar yet?
    Steve
    "...your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride" A. Bourdain

Quote Originally Posted by sgborgstrom View Post
    That sounds like a marathon of slow moving heavy traffic...coming and going. Unless you work nights and get to do the "reverse commute".

I was up in Sultan 2 weeks ago for a mushroom farming class, the ground was still semi-frozen, you thawed out in Goldbar yet?
    I work noon to eight so I'm off the commute. Still... It's a haul what w/ all the morons...

Thawed? Yup... Just watch the ice on the bridges! Weeeeeee!

We were supposed to get Snow & ice Tuesday morning not this morning. I'm basically at sea level near the Snohomish river and I rarely get accumulation. Decided it would be better to scrape the windows of the truck and drive in instead of playing ice racer with the RT, besides I'm still trying to get rid of the Everett Gombu.
    Brian - Everett, WA
    www.pdq-signs.com
    99 R1100RT - Got Kewl-Aid? IBA - SS1K's, BBG
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Too Icy!

Driving day!

Ha! I forgot the picture updates!
    Last edited by grafikfeat; 02-23-2009 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Added text...

pturner820
    Hi All,

I typically ride every day, although tend to either stay home or drive when there's too much ice or snow on the road.

I currently have a R1100GS and a R1150R (soon to be a R1200C) and commute from Renton to Seattle by way of 169->405->5.

If I see other bikes they do tend to be BMWs, but I have noticed more of other manufacturers out this Winter than previous years. Must be that some of the mostly Summer riders are venturing out in the cold due to the economy?

I'm up for a get together at some point in the future if anyone else is interested.

Patrick

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Seemed chillier this morning than the past couple of days. Vowed to put the handlebar covers back on even though there's no rain in the forecast. Handlebar covers + heated grips = happy hands!
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Hi! Welcome to this board...

In your commute to Everett do you ride up the Peninsula and take the Kingston/Edmonds ferry? If so, if you see an old dude on a Gray/Mandarin '04 R1100S give me a wave. Maybe buy you a cup of coffee one of these days. Don't know what hours you commute, but I'm usually out and about in the afternoons.

We live in Seabeck, and I spent a fair amount of time in Silverdale/Poulsbo...

Cheers, Bill J.

1headlight

Cool I ride if it does not snow ??

I ride in South end; Enumclaw to Bellevue almost every day. This year has been cold and snowy though.

I do not see many bikes in winter, a GS now and then. But when weather gets above 60 boy the bikes come out.

I ride 1150 RT in wet and 1200 GS rest of time, uhhh also my Kawai mean streak on hot nice days... is that appropriate to mention?

I do have hard time getting thru the garage gates with my GS, they won't open for me. I added magnet but still have times it will not open. any other people have this problem??

Quote Originally Posted by coxengr01 View Post
    I do have hard time getting thru the garage gates with my GS, they won't open for me. I added magnet but still have times it will not open. any other people have this problem??
    Do you have room to go around the gate? I sometimes work downtown Seattle (at this particular garage) and they allow M/Cs around the gates and park for free. They say just don't use a parking space that a car could use.

1headlight

driving into gated garage at work

I work in down town Bellevue, yes I have driven around gates leaving the garage when have trouble with gate opening with my key card. the person at the gat just watches me.
    When coming in; if the gate will not open, I have to take a ticket to open the gate. I always park in a motorcycle spot that is marked off.

I never have problems with my 1150 RT but the GS is hit and miss.