Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: OldSchooling on the "Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail"

Arrow Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail

Rock Dam Park
    Clark county, Wisconsin

The water is rich in iron resulting in a dark red-blue hue.

This type of water is how the Black River received it's name.

Wisconsin's County Forest Program

County Forests are rich in history and admirable in accomplishments. County Forests originated in the Badger State and are found in only two others - Michigan and Minnesota. County Forests were created to rescue lands left abandoned by cut-and-run logging and failed homesteads of the late 1800's and early 1900's.

Smile .......................Thorpe, Wisconsin.......................

From the Clark County Trails you will travel north on Dickerson and Tieman Roads. This is a nice hard pack country road going past some prime farms and small woods and will end at Thorp, Wisconsin. In Thorp, get gas and maybe a snacks because the Big Woods start at Hwy 64. From Thorpe follow the route on some nice country gravel and it will take you to HWY 64 and the Perkinstown Motorized Trailhead/NF-326.

The old church is on the edge of Thorp. You can see the steeple from the TW*T.

Hwy 29 is the Historic Yellowstone Trail.

Just north of Thorp, you will travel past the 45 Degree Latitude, but unlike many other places in Wisconsin there is no signage. 45 degrees north latitude and 90 degrees west longitude is just 30 miles east of TW*T at Poniatowski, Wisconsin.

I photographed this 45 Degree Latitude sign in a different part of the state.

Below: Forest Road 326, east on FR-554, north on FR-118/Sawyer Ave, north on FR-116/Perkinston Ave to FR-121/Winter Sports Road

Hwy 64 Perkinstown Motorized Trailhead/NF-326

Clark County/Thorpe/Perkinstown Motorized Trailhead/NF-326

Thumbs up . . . . . . . . . . . .Perkinstown ATV Trailhead. . . . . . .

Perkinstown Trailhead
    Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest

The Perkinstown Motorized Trail (NF-326) is a two-way trail developed for ATV and motorcycles (and snowmobiles in the winter). This ATV trail was a hoot. Trail Length: 20 miles.

The trail is highlighted by rolling terrain, a variety of woodlands and wetlands. A great variety of wildlife and vegetation can be found along the trail, the vegetation changes from low marsh areas to upland forest of hardwoods and pines. The northern most point is located near the Chippewa Campground on the shores of Chequamegon Waters. The TW*T uses part of this trail, then cuts off to some really great ATV trails. Just like Jackson and Clark counties to the south, Price county area is a perfect Dual Sport destination!

Talking . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Conrad's Tee . . . . . . . . . .

Conrad's Tee in Summer and Fall

Thumbs up . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .The Staircase . . . . . . . .

. . . No cars or trucks allowed on this trail . . .

Exclamation . . . . . . . . . . . .Marsh areas . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Below: Buddy and I are on the Perkinstown Motorized Trail and I am thinking if this sign was not up this would be a first class bike or ATV mud pit, just like the mud pits we previously passed down the road.

Stay on the trail and not travel off the trail to go "mudding". If excessive damage is found the NF trails will be closed until additional drying occurs.

Talking . . . . . . . . . . . . ruffed Grouse . . . . . . . . . . . . .

grouse drumming, he's defending his territory . . . It's his way of letting another grouse know that this spot is already occupied. This guy did not want me to pass, and after a few minutes he finally flew away. If you look at the photo closely, you will see all the soil on his feathers.

You will find ruffed grouse throughout the state, except in the southeastern counties.

Thumbs up Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail

Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest/Perkinstown Motorized Trail

Jim ... I am really enjoying this thread. It makes me want to get a smaller bike and do the same ride.......
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Thanks for posting Jim but did you have to do it in December. Cabin fever is setting in early.

19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

Love Ur style of ridin and photography. Diggin it.

Next time I have a few days to kill on two wheels in Wiscowsin, I will definitely check it out!
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Arrow Perkinstown Atv Trail is located on the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail

Buddy did a lot of tail wagging on the Perkinstown Atv/ Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail

Exclamation . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Wisconsin's 37,000 black bears

Cooperative study suggests WisconsinÔÇÖs black bear population is larger than thought.

The last DNR estimate that there were 13,000 black bears in the state, but a new comprehensive research study indicated about 37,000 with the majority of the bears located in the northern one third of the State.

The other good news is that more people will have opportunities to see these great animals in the wild. . . The bad news is more people will have opportunities to see these great animals in the wild . . .the other bad news is that I like to camp in the wild! In reality, the chance of a bear confrontation is close to the chance of being hit by lightning, but I do take precautions in lightning storms and camping in black bear contry..

A Bear of a Diet

Black bears locate their food by relying on their keen sense of smell. They feed mostly at twilight and through the night until sunrise. They spend the daylight hours loafing in dense cover near their feeding areas. If food is scarce in a particular year, bears will wander much farther from their home territory in search of food. During these years, bears can be seen more frequently during daylight hours.

Black Bear are also very good at climbing trees. In fact, black bears are the only North American bears that can climb trees. They seem to enjoy water and are good swimmers. Nearly all human-bear conflicts are a result of the animalsÔÇÖ search for food.

Black bears have large canine teeth, but their molars are flattened for grinding and chewing tough plant food, rather than slicing through flesh. Plants make up a large portion of their diet. However, they will eat just about anything: fruits, berries, green leaves, tubers, acorns, nuts, ants, beetles, bees, insect larvae, honey, fish, mice, squirrels, eggs, dead animals, grease on camping grills, garbage, you name it. Scientists call this type of diet omnivorous, which translates into "eats all."