Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: On Wisconsin!

535IS
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beers View Post
    SIck and tired of snow. Spent three hours doing snow removal. Tired cold and sore. A nice ride somewhere warm sounds good now.
    You just need more options (aka 'toys') to keep you interested.

After I moved here (from northeast Ohio), I shoveled for about two years. My two drives are about 300' and 50' long, respectively, and I needed a couple hundred feet of walkway cleared to get to the garages. We typically get three-foot drifts. One morning as I hit the town 'plow leavings' in the mouth of my drive, I paused, thinking "This really sucks!" and decided I didn't want to be 'found' out there some day.

So we bought Da Snow T'rower. Not one of those weenie electric ones, either. This is an 8 hp 26" MTD (arrgh, arrgh, ARRGH!). Two stage. Electric start. 6 forward speeds, two reverse, self-propelled. (ARRGH!) Sucker will eat almost anything it's seen in the 10+ years since. Except those fine, sub-zero wind-driven drifts that have to be broken up with a spade (very rare) and the really heavy, wet stuff over about a foot deep (just go slower). It might be a little slow sometimes, but the worst physical problem I have is getting wet from the blown stuff. No heart attacks!

Then, there's Da Ford: a 1950 8N (every gentleman farmer's "AARGH!"). 4-speed crashbox (You do know how to double clutch, don't you?). 3-point hydraulic hitch. PTO. IMPLEMENTS! Also a 5' rear blade. Lots of fun to push snow around with. Unfortunately, Da Ford can get stuck. DAMHIK.

Then, we need Da Jeep ...

http://www.v8snowblowers.com/index.html

I think I have found my new toy!!!!
    2001 K1200LT "Zoot" RIP 10/14/2007
    2009 K1200LT "Angus"

Cartoon Bears never wear pants!!

Raspberry waffles Bob!!! kewlmoose's Avatar
    Don't have one of those big V8 snowblowers, but the 8hp one we have just got a good workout. We got a foot from the storm + drifts and plow truck deposits at the bottom of the driveway.
    82 R65LS - gone but not forgotten
    02 R1150RT
    "Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw"
    "I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart."

Poor man's k-bike owner kreinke's Avatar
    Reinke Snowfighter 1 in the trailer gassed up for the next round. I blew out 3 driveways this morning. The mighty Jeep Commander pulls this rig to the in-laws 10 miles away on un-plowed roads.

The Reinke Family Militia working on fortifications.

On the Road
    If you live in Madison you must have snow by now. I live in Menasha and we have been getting pelted with snow since the last week of November. Now that sucks.

535IS
    Quote Originally Posted by dachstom View Post
    If you live in Madison you must have snow by now. I live in Menasha and we have been getting pelted with snow since the last week of November. Now that sucks.
    I can deal with a mere 'pelting'. But two days of blizzard conditions under 5?? is really beginning to suck out loud. I cleared one pesky recurring drift out of my driveway five times in the 24 hours beginning at 11:00 Sunday morning. And it doesn't just blow out. That stuff is dense. Too dense to shovel. Too dense to push with the tractor. Too dense to just drive the blower through. It takes repeated assaults and an artistic touch to get through it without completely destroying the blower. I think I have already moved more snow since Thanksgiving than I did all of last year.

Quote Originally Posted by 535is View Post
    I can deal with a mere 'pelting'. But two days of blizzard conditions under 5?? is really beginning to suck out loud. I cleared one pesky recurring drift out of my driveway five times in the 24 hours beginning at 11:00 Sunday morning. And it doesn't just blow out. That stuff is dense. Too dense to shovel. Too dense to push with the tractor. Too dense to just drive the blower through. It takes repeated assaults and an artistic touch to get through it without completely destroying the blower. I think I have already moved more snow since Thanksgiving than I did all of last year.
    But on the bright side we'll definately have a white X-mas .

I have 18" in the yard right now.

I bought an 8hp 26" Toro last spring to replace a 25 year old Ahrens. Gave that New Toro to my mother for X-mas, Got an OHV 11hp 28" Commercial unit to replace it! Muuhahhahhaaa!

I actually do the sides of the street down the block so the street stays wide. I live near a high school and the kids speeding down a street 12 ft less wide would be a bad thing. Plus I have a lot of elderly neighbors and ladies without snow blowers. i do a lot of drives, or at least the ends where the plows dumped. I LIKE doing it!
    Jason
    Give a hand. http://www.akitas.org

nevada72
    And now rain?? Apparently tomorrow we're getting T-storms. Just what we need on top of frozen ground and all that snow - rain. In preparation, I ran the snowblower around the perimeter of my house (yep-on the grass) and created a 10 foot snow-free zone to reduce the chance of my basement getting wet. I hope it works. What a crazy winter!

Quote Originally Posted by nevada72 View Post
    And now rain?? Apparently tomorrow we're getting T-storms. Just what we need on top of frozen ground and all that snow - rain. In preparation, I ran the snowblower around the perimeter of my house (yep-on the grass) and created a 10 foot snow-free zone to reduce the chance of my basement getting wet. I hope it works. What a crazy winter!
    I have a sump but that's a good idea. Or at least drains away from the house so the water has somewhere to go.
    Jason
    Give a hand. http://www.akitas.org

nevada72
    Yeah - if water pools around the perimiter of your house, it might not make it to the drain tile or sump - kinda like not having rain gutters. It will just seep in wherever it can - usually at the joint between floor and wall. Best to avoid that all together.

So far it's been a nice, slow melt off, but the rain is on it's way. Could get ugly. Our yard does pitch gently downhill from the house so I snow plowed channels perpendicular to the house so the snowplowed area wouldn't fill up like a moat. My neighbors probably think I'm nuts, but better safe than sorry.

My next step is a battery back-up sump pump for power outages, or better yet, an automatic back-up whole house generator.