Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pennsylvania Information

A little west of Bloom

I live in Benton, PA a little north of Bloom, and so I definitely say that Rickett's Glen State Park is a must see. Also, one area that hasn't got much attention is the Union County area. Lewisburg, like Bloomsburg is a college town, so it has it's own great bars/restaurants worth checking out if you're headed that way. It's definitely an area worth considering. I like taking rt. 254 west from Benton to get there from my house. The views along this road are incredible (minus the power plant).

My favorite place to visit out there and a real hidden gem is a place called T&D's cats of the world. It's an exotic animal sanctuary located in Penn's Creek. All the animals there, including lions and tigers used to be people's pets, a lot of the personalstories of how the animals got there are incredible. The website is www.tdscats.com there are some nice rides out that way.

entering PA on 22 west of P'burgh, then what?

I'm looking at entering PA on 22 west of Pittsburgh. What would you recommend for a mostly 2 lane route from there to Bloomsburg?

TIA
    Dave
    Dave
    '92 K75S, '08 F800ST
    Cedar Falls, IA

Quote Originally Posted by rx35285 View Post
    I'm looking at entering PA on 22 west of Pittsburgh. What would you recommend for a mostly 2 lane route from there to Bloomsburg?

TIA
    Dave
    Here are a couple of options. The northern one is a bit longer but probably more scenic.

Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    Here are a couple of options. The northern one is a bit longer but probably more scenic.
    The north route is better even if you had to ride I 80 for an hour. It took us one hour of snail pace to thourgh the Northumberland, PA bottle neck of RT 11 & RT 147 on thursday rush hour 3 to 4. About 6 F@*&^% miles My left hand is still numb. This is not the first time it has happened to us. I should know better by now.
    Tony
    We're not here for a long time
    We're here for a good time HUEY LEWIS

2007 R1200RT, 2003 F650CS

Hmm. I rode through there in 147 on Sunday afternoon and it was fine. Just windy as the dickens.

Greetings
    We to have breezed though midday, evenings and weekends. The Northumberland, PA bottle neck of RT 11 & RT 147 only happens around weekday quitting time.
    tony
    We're not here for a long time
    We're here for a good time HUEY LEWIS

2007 R1200RT, 2003 F650CS

It would be good advice for everyone to avoid 11 at rush hour as much as possible. Marysville and Shamokin Dam are bottlenecks as well.

On the road to nowhere aphillips66's Avatar

Looking forward to the rally

I'm really looking forward to riding through Pennsylvania in July. It sounds like there are a lot of good routes. Now I wish that I had booked more time.

I once rode through PA on my way home from a run down/up the Blue Ridge Parkway. I came across a fantastic route somewhere in the western part of the state. I really enjoyed it out there. I was the traffic. :~)

Penn State, State College Stuff, July 2011?

Rally goers may enjoy an 85 mile ride west over to State College, PA before, during or after the rally.

State College PA Has:

Penn State University Students: Many attend in the summer session as well. www.psu.edu

Kissell BMW, Ducati etc Motorcycle Dealer, recently moved just off Atherton Road, off 322 west of town. www.kissellmotorsports.com

Beaver Stadium: Joe Paterno's Football Team's Stage, 110,700 seats. Good Museum under grandstands, tours given. live.psu.edu/flickrset/72157625207329992

Berkey Creamery Ice Cream and Yogurt to die for: Free parking in parking garage in back but getting the gate to lift for motorcycles is tricky because pavement sensors are looking for car and a button push together, move motorcycle side to side and still reaching the button is the tricky part, two by two might work better. Corner of Bigler and Curtin Roads. http://creamery.psu.edu/store

College Ave (Main Street) Route 26, one way divides town from Penn State U. Two or three sections of Free motorcycle parking spaces on left. Diners and evening spots etc. The back street, Beaver Ave, one way the other way also has many shops and eateries.

Dirt Roads: Find Poe Paddy State Park with camping on trout stream, and Penn's view, in 7 mountains section, southeast of town 20 miles, (13 are dirt). http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar.../poepaddy.aspx

Hike Mount Nittany: East of town, drive part way up, hike last mile to good views of "Happy Valley." Sunset views too. http://www.hikemountnittany.com/

Tourist Information Center: Across Street from Beaver Football Stadium, just off Route 322

Museum: PA Military Museum 3 miles away in Boalsburg http://pamilmuseum.org/

Penn State's Art Festival July 14-17 http://www.arts-festival.com/

This content might be well liked by those coming to the rally.

I've warned Kissell's that they will feel the effects of thousands of BMW motorcyles nearby that week.

Keith of Kennett Sq

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Just an FYI!

If any of you are in Bloomsburg at the rally, watch out for a Black GM/Chevy PU truck, with a short (2' Long) light bar on top and most recognizable a small thick black antenna mounted on the LR side of the bed.

Guy tried to deliberately run me off the road a couple years back, on 44 just N of Bloomsburg I wrote every Fire department and the local Sheriff and reported the incident. Never heard a thing back.

If it had a couple of flat tires during the rally, that would be a good thing.

More local riding 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post

My advice to visitors is frame an area and get lost. Use the south and main branches of the Susquehanna River and RT 118 to the north enjoy everything in between. To the east frame the Susquehanna river with I 80 to the north I 78 to the south and stay on this side of the Delaware river. If the roads are busy keep making turns. Set your GPS to have Bloomsburg your home and enjoy.

Pennsylvania has too many roads........
    Statdawg I couldn't agree more except for us having too many roads. Maybe if I worked for Pendot! I grew up outside of Bloomsburg between Berwick and Orangeville at the foot of Knob Mouintain. I'm surely not a Pa Touring expert but have explored some in the last 25 years. I love the ride from Bloomsburg to Worlds End by way of Central, Rickets Glen State Park, LaPort and Eagles Mere. We saw two eagles on route to LaPort some years ago. A bag lunch overlooking the Loyalsock Creek Appalachian Trail and doesn't sound too bad! I'm sure a continuation to the PA Grand Canyon then a highway I80 cruise back to Bloomsburg would be a fantastic outing. Also Lockhaven and Renovo are prime examples of PA Appalachian Mountain territory.
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...worldsend.aspx

As far as I know Centralia doesn't have any homes left. The government finally chased out everyone and tore them down. It's now just a stretch of road that passes a cemetery and some smoking holes and vent pipes. They drilled holes trying to locate the fires and thus let air into the burning coal veins. In the 80's and 90's you could see glowing holes in the ground. Everyone leaves it alone now. My father worked there in the 60's and 70's, (I can't remember the years anymore, forgive me) trying to push the fires out with heavy equipment. the dozer tracks got so hot you couldn't put your hands on them. They gave up fighting the fires.

About 8 miles outside Bloomsburg on the way to Centralia is Numedia Dragway. For a fee you can test your speed skills on Friday night!
    http://www.numidiadragway.net/

I would like to add some local attractions that are interesting to me. The Pioneer Coal Mine and Hickory Run State Park were Middle School Field Trips. Hickory Run has a boulder field left over from when the Glaciers retreated. It's quite an anomaly.
    http://www.pioneertunnel.com/home.shtml
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...ickoryrun.aspx

I have to mention Knobles Amusement Park again. I have seen it posted earlier but warrants another mention, and this is why. It's a smaller park but is very entertaining for all ages. It's cheep and you can literaly park your bike and be in line for a world class roller coaster ride in, ah, say 15- 20 min at the most. The Pheonix is awsome wooden coaster, you will want to go again! I think they have camping also. No admission fee, stay as long as you want.

http://www.knoebels.com/
    I hope this was helpful. I accidentally deleted the post once and had to rewrite it.
    Keep the rubber side down! BTW this not a dry state but beer is not sold in convenience stores. We have State Stores for Liquor and Distributors for beer. Bars are everywere, as are American Legions and VFWs to help you enjoy the stay here.
    I polished my pipes yesterday,,,,, it WAS awsome!

Hey All:

I am planning a ride from Rochester, NY to the Poconos. Heading down on Saturday the 28th and coming home to Rochester on the 29th.

Anyone have some tips on a route that would be nice to ride? Places to stay, and a good dinner?

Thanks!
    Founder,
    Rochester Personal Defense, LLC
    Rochester, NY
    www.safeinrochester.com

It looks like picking up 220 at Mansfield and catching 118 to Scranton area is a viable route. I would be saving a few minutes for this:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jdanvers/3708250219/
    Have a great ride!

On the road to nowhere aphillips66's Avatar

Question Local police?

What is the local law enforcement in Pennsylvania? Here in New Hampshire, it's town/city police and state police that enforce traffic laws. The deputy sheriffs typically don't do traffic enforcement, mainly court/jail duties. What's the deal in PA? Should we be cognizant of any car with a blue (or red?) light bar?

It's the same here and Bloomsburg police have plenty of practice maintaining order down town. Being a college town with yearly parties at Spring break ect. and the 4x4 Jamboree they keep busy. But for the most part they leave people alone and concentrate on problem areas. They want the business to continue to come back to town. Normally the good old days of open containers at the Square and BurgerKing, (ie the loop) are long gone, but they overlook alot as long as your not causing trouble. They put up "X cruises per hour past this point" signs on main street some years ago, mostly for show. But when Events are in town thats forgotten about.
    Town police cruisers are well marked and the state police are too but they have unmarked chargers, mustangs and the occasional crown vics on the interstates. They may gear up the town force the first day or two to "keep the piece", but I doubt staties will be seen in town.