Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Pennsylvania Information

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainR12C View Post
    Where all that great chocolate comes from!

http://www.hersheys.com/chocolateworld/
    If you like chocolate and are cheap like me.........Stop at the Aldi store in Burnham or Williamsport and check-out the Moser-Roth chocolates.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Okay, you want some local favorites?

PA 994 - entire length from Orbisonia to PA 26
    PA 641 - from Roxbury to end at US 522
    PA 74 - from Carlisle to end at PA 75
    PA 233 - from PA 194 to end at PA 997
    PA 125 - from Pine Grove to Shamokin, but turn left near US 81 entrance and use Mollystown Road shortcut through Jolliet back to Good Spring and PA 125 again
    PA 849 - from Duncannon to end at PA 34
    PA 339 - from Mahanoy City to Mainville and then Mainville Dr to E Bloomsburg

Also: cross the Susquehanna on the old paddlewheel ferry at Millersburg over to PA 34 - schedule limited, so check website

There are too many to list today. More later.

Fred
    You've got my week covered. I did 994 and 641 today and 233 and 74 yesterday. But I'm also a big fan of 30 from 75 to 160.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    We haven't even talked back roads yet, some gems in the area

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    We haven't even talked back roads yet, some gems in the area
    I want to see which ones you missed.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    I want to see which ones you missed.
    I haven't missed much in the area, I have showed some seasoned back road riders that live there, roads they never knew existed. I have made 2-3 trips a year for the last 10 years averaging 750-900 miles/ trip in that area, just to find ride the back roads.

Names like st Johns/Hobbie/mountain rd (depending on what map you look at), Pine mtn. Rd, Pine-Logantown road. Cider Press rd, Mollystown, and Lincoln roads, 2 seperate Gold mine Roads. West county and powder Glen roads, Blue ridge trail, Switze Road, Alden mountain. Running gap Rd, (a jeep trail at best) that I rode on my RS, Copper mills Rd, another goat path. Blue balls Rd.

Some to the SW, Mountain house road, Enders, millers creek and Carsonville Rd (S of Carsonville), Marsh creek Rd. I have to go, but there are dozens more I know like the back of my hand, along with the widly popular and known roads.

And don't be surprised, if you don't know some, as I have showed some big mileage back road, NC riders some great roads they didn't know existed too. I am just a map geek, what can I say.

I recommend riding Ridge Road. By my calculation, there are about 7,000 with that name in Pennsylvania.

I was wondering if our membership would be interested in some of those off-the-beaten track routes ? I was thinking about doing a GPS file just north and northwest of the rally site but when I think about it there are just as nice roads going east and southeast or west.

I know the roads you mention but two names, so I have to look at a map. There are plenty of ridges and hollow roads, my favorite is Devils Hollow near Devils Glen Road, its a GS road and I am not sure why the names unless they do not wish visitors.

The Carsonville area I usually hit coming home from Hermys BMW and approaching it from the east. I do the Millersburg Ferry crossing once a year and explore the back ways to Jersey Shore - Allenwood - Lewisburg area or come up the east side of the Susquehanna river.

The Back Mountain area offers numerous twisty roads, there is a nice loop west of Harveys Lake that was an organized car racing track till someone hit a pole in the late 1950's....... its a baby LeMans. Or near Tunkhannock the sport bike community blasts up Sugar Hollow Road. Giants Dispair is used for Hill Climbs is just east of Wilkes-Barre and it puts you into some great riding heading south into the Leigh Gorge. Also RT 29 is popular from W. Nanicoke north. A great road off of it is the Mooretown that gets you west to RT 118...........nice twisties and pavement but the shoulders could be safer.

Of course everyone raves about RT 339 and 125 but those little roads around them are just as sweet.........matter of fact way east, I like Buck Mountain near Hazleton better than 125. Off of 339, Red Ridge to Nuremburg and then east on the mountain road is wonderful, down the road you have Moss Glenn, Turkey Hill or the Catawissa road and Cold Run down to 895 is scenic. In the Zion Grove area, Ridge and Fern Glen roads are twisty and scenic.......great back way from Centralia to 339 to Bloomsburg. ......another ridge road.

But I still want to make a great loop between the Harveys Lake - Bloomsburg - Hughesville- Exchange all scenic to yourself roads for our membership. But the great motorcycle sites will sway them to the popular known roads.

My advice to visitors is frame an area and get lost. Use the south and main branches of the Susquehanna River and RT 118 to the north enjoy everything in between. To the east frame the Susquehanna river with I 80 to the north I 78 to the south and stay on this side of the Delaware river. If the roads are busy keep making turns. Set your GPS to have Bloomsburg your home and enjoy.

Pennsylvania has too many roads........
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

I was wondering if our membership would be interested in some of those off-the-beaten track routes ? I was thinking about doing a GPS file just north and northwest of the rally site but when I think about it there are just as nice roads going east and southeast or west.
    It takes the right kind of rider to enjoy these roads, about 5% of the 2% of riders that profess liking twisty stuff. If you don't mind narrow tight and technical they are wonderful.

Of course everyone raves about RT 339 and 125 but those little roads around them are just as sweet.........matter of fact way east, I like Buck Mountain near Hazleton better than 125. Off of 339, Red Ridge to Nuremburg and then east on the mountain road is wonderful, down the road you have Moss Glenn, Turkey Hill or the Catawissa road and Cold Run down to 895 is scenic. In the Zion Grove area, Ridge and Fern Glen roads are twisty and scenic.......great back way from Centralia to 339 to Bloomsburg. ......another ridge road.
    Yea, I take a different Buck mountain Rd to Nuremburg, as the 339 gets rough as soon as it crosses the county line heading to Zion Grove, I will have to try Red ridge next time. I head straight at the Mountain Rd intersection and head over to Weston Rd toward Sugarloaf, and Sugarloaf mountain Rd, then up to the Hobbie area, most of the paved roads around Hobbie are great. Out of Catawssa, the Logging rd was paved a couple years ago and is a good path to the 339.

I find most areas E of I81 to be too populated with lots of drives, houses, and low speed limits with roads full of Volvo's and minivans, so I stay away.

Pennsylvania has too many roads.......
    .SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...........................
    Last edited by pffog; 03-20-2011 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    I recommend riding Ridge Road. By my calculation, there are about 7,000 with that name in Pennsylvania.
    Between each valley?

I'm betting his Ridge Road is PA144 from Moshannon to South Renovo. But, that leaves 6999 other possibilities.

I'm wondering which Marsh Creek road he means?
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Between each valley?
    I'm wondering which Marsh Creek road he means?
    The one from 144 E to Balnchard, and in that area the 445 is is one of the most technical in PA, IMHO, off camber turns and all.

I find most areas E of I81 to be too populated with lots of drives, houses, and low speed limits with roads full of Volvo's and minivans, so I stay away.
    That is the same problem with some of the Back Mountain / Harveys Lake area roads ......... it depends on time of day and which day of the week since many people sleep here and work east of it. Also there are lots of commuters because Penn State has a campus in Lehman, Dallas has a University, and there is a huge State Prison that employees many in Jackson twp..

There are a few nice cuts through the Poconos but on weekends you have familys and vehicles pulling watercraft...........I save this area for a mid-week morning.

North center Pa near Tunkhannock to Towanda is the natural gas boom area so you may have to share the road with trucks. The Dushore area back roads are not bad in any direction.

I was just in the rural area of Bloomsburg this afternoon and had no traffic even on the main roads.............the bike ran very well.

RT 339 is bumpy near Zion Grove and the mountain over to Mahanoy City has leftover tar and chip still on the road from last fall. Usually from Mahanoy City I head towards Sheppton then towards Nuremburg once there you have other choices, even going towards Rock Glen is a nice.

Going the other direction there are many differant back roads to get to Hermys BMW in Port Clinton. Its nice to see the vastness of the coal fields then come summer they are blocked by trees.

The one from 144 E to Balnchard, and in that area the 445 is is one of the most technical in PA, IMHO, off camber turns and all.
    Exit 144 at Runville and follow the township routes to Blanchard. The paved roads that exit to the north loop back to the main road. If you have a GS, you can go over Walker Ridge to Orviston. Then follow Beech Creek down to civilization.

PA 445 is Nittany to Madisonburg. A flat bed truck lost a load of 2"x4"'s on the roof of my 76 Beetle on that road in 79 or 80.

I am interested in plotting some routes North of I 80. Just need to figure out how to do it on Zumo 550. Give me a PM.
    tony
    We're not here for a long time
    We're here for a good time HUEY LEWIS

2007 R1200RT, 2003 F650CS

lewisb

Columbia County Covered Bridge Loop

There are 21 covered bridges in Columbia County Pennsylvania. The attached route takes you through (or by) 17 of them. The route is about 50% dirt roads and 50% paved roads. I started in Berwick but the route can start at Rupert Bridge which is just outside the Rally fairgrounds. It's about 140 miles and 6 hours of enjoyable riding.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Raidojc

Welcome to PA

A couple of favorites for those of you visiting the Bloomsburg Area:

Thumbs up on Two Jacks BMW, located in Wilkes-Barre, PA, about a 60 minute ride NE of Bloomsburg. Very good customer service. I was at their shop this weekend for riding gear and learned that they'll have a service center on-site at the Bloomsburg fairgrounds in July.

For a fun couple of hours try Bill's Old Bike Barn which has dozens of older HDs, MotoGuzzis, and other vintage motorcycles on display. Very unique. Located about 15 minutes NE of Bloomsburg. http://www.billsbikebarn.com/

A new brew pub is under construction in the North end of town, just off the I-80 ramps, called the Turkey Hill Brew Pub. Looks first rate. The owner expects to be operational in mid-April. No website at this time but imminent. Contact the Inn at Turkey Hill for more information. http://www.innatturkeyhill.com/newsworthy.html

Jeff C.
    Glenmoore, PA
    1993 K1100RS Mystic Red