Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tire inflators

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    I carry a Crank Brothers Power Pump. At a compact 5.6" long, along with its simplicity and top notch quality, its hard to beat and will be there for you when you're in the middle of nowhere.

No batteries required, no 12V power required and no issues with CO2 cartridges running out.

I have used these on my Mtn bicycles...they do work and definitely will improve heart function...especially at altitude...find one that pumps on both strokes! I carry one ,but still have the cyclepro? pump that was given to me by the GS owner who traded me for the HD...
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    ...they do work...
    Well of course they work! And they'll work when those other high-tech wonders fail.

Quote Originally Posted by apretzl View Post
    That looks like a pretty slick little unit. Have you used it on the road yet?
    Yes, and it works really well. I've only had one flat myself, and have helped another guy with his flat, but being able to correct my tire pressure right at the camp or outside the motel door with truly cold tires is pretty sweet.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    I carry a Crank Brothers Power Pump. At a compact 5.6" long, along with its simplicity and top notch quality, its hard to beat and will be there for you when you're in the middle of nowhere.

No batteries required, no 12V power required and no issues with CO2 cartridges running out.

The Innovations pump that started this thread works as a hand pump too.
    I agree, a true pump is least likely to let you down, but it's nice to have the cartridges along to expedite things if you're dealing with a large tire, or in an unsafe spot and need to get moving again quickly.
    The 12v pumps might suit some folks, but not me. For one thing, you can only use them with a bike that provides the power. Bicycles, and most trail or MX bikes don't give you that option. They're also slow, and if it just doesn't work, then what? CO2 also gives a quick burst that might help re-seat a tire bead.
    One or two of these hand or CO2 pumps can take care of your whole fleet, as long as you remember to bring it along.
    The other handy option for non-fuel injected bikes is called a "chuffer". These are great for airheads and other bikes where it's easy to remove a spark plug. It's a pneumatic fitting that screws into the cylinder head, and an airhose just long enough to reach the tire. Turn off your fuel, and crank or kick your engine over and you have one big air pump.

After trying to inflate a tire with a hand pump in 100 degree unrelenting sun, I bought the cheapest 12v pump I could find, removed everything I didn't need (like the case), wired on a BMW plug, and have carried it since. Works great.

So far I've never had to pump up a tire when I had a dead battery.
    '12 K1600 GT

What is it you intend to do with your one wild and precious life? - Mary Oliver

Foot pump?

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    I have used these on my Mtn bicycles...they do work and definitely will improve heart function...especially at altitude...find one that pumps on both strokes! I carry one ,but still have the cyclepro? pump that was given to me by the GS owner who traded me for the HD...
    I can't remember where I saw it -- but doesn't somebody make a small foot pump for inflating motorcycle tires?
    Last edited by TexanRT; 12-09-2008 at 06:10 PM. Reason: spell
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA
    BMW R1200RT | HD Road Glide

Something folks may want to double check is power capacity with pump use.

I got a 12V Powered pump works great but has a tendency to trip the Acc Socket off because it exceeds the rated current the bike wants to see at the socket.

To avoid this I rewired my rear ACC socket to my Centech fuse panel and selected a 15A fuse section - works great.

The reason for this post is to "test drive" any 12V pump you have before you need to use it.

If your pump does trigger the shut off of the acc plug and you don't have a fuse panel you can still use it by wiring the socket to a fused connector and connecting to the battery.

Luckily for me i was fixing a flat in my garage and was able to correct the acc socket limitations or I would have been in an uncomfortable position trying to get the tire repaired.
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post
    Something folks may want to double check is power capacity with pump use.

I got a 12V Powered pump works great but has a tendency to trip the Acc Socket off because it exceeds the rated current the bike wants to see at the socket.

To avoid this I rewired my rear ACC socket to my Centech fuse panel and selected a 15A fuse section - works great.

The reason for this post is to "test drive" any 12V pump you have before you need to use it.

If your pump does trigger the shut off of the acc plug and you don't have a fuse panel you can still use it by wiring the socket to a fused connector and connecting to the battery.

Luckily for me i was fixing a flat in my garage and was able to correct the acc socket limitations or I would have been in an uncomfortable position trying to get the tire repaired.
    Luis is right about the amp draw and the acc plug. Direct to battery is the best solution, I think. The Slime pump comes with "jumper cable" type battery connectors. Worked great the time I had to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post
    Good advice. And be sure to do a full test. My accessory socket will power the pump when it is unloaded. The pump doesn't draw enough to trip the socket until it is actually pumping up a tire.

// marc

I use a 12 volt compressor and have a bicycle pump as a backup. Both have worked well.

Rob Mayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabird View Post
    After trying to inflate a tire with a hand pump in 100 degree unrelenting sun, I bought the cheapest 12v pump I could find, removed everything I didn't need (like the case), wired on a BMW plug, and have carried it since. Works great.

So far I've never had to pump up a tire when I had a dead battery.
    I have the same type of pump and am pleased with it.

Ozonkiller
    I've owned the slime pump for a couple of years. Fortunately I've never had to use it on the road but, as I do with all of my travel tools, I have used it in my garage.

Using my travel tools, I have changed both tires and the slime pump seated the beads with no problem at all. I was running it off of the acc. plug and had no issues with blowing the fuse

I mention "travel tools" as I have a well equipped shop but I still make it a habit of performing all maintenance functions at least once using the tools that I carry along with me. That way I was sure to iron out any problems or make improvements on the tools in the kit.

Having used the CO2 cartridges for years on my dirt bikes I'm aware that it will take several to fill a tire up to spec. I don't know how well they'd do at seating a bead. With the compressor you'll have an unlimited number of attempts.

Just my two cents

Slime makes a slick little set that includes the 12V compressor shown above and about three different cables you can use to power it up, including an SAE, direct battery for hardwiring, and little jumper cables. It all comes in a neat little bag that zips it all up. I have used it and it is great. Instructions say not to run it longer than 8 minutes at a time. It is perfect for motorbikes. Sell for about $29 bucks. I found mine at O'Reily Auto Parts Store.

BUDDINGGEEZER
    I bought a 12v mini compressor at Wal Mart. Around $15 5 think. It took around 2 minutes to inflate a Metzler 140/80/17 to 42psi.

Ralph Sims

This sounded interesting so I went to look it up.. Somehow I do not believe this is what you were referring to. So can you tell us a link to where it might be??

chuffer:
    British term, now dated, for:

1. A male homosexual .

2. The passive-partner in anal-coitus . See sodomite for synonyms.

Quote Originally Posted by 108625 View Post
    The other handy option for non-fuel injected bikes is called a "chuffer". These are great for airheads and other bikes where it's easy to remove a spark plug. It's a pneumatic fitting that screws into the cylinder head, and an airhose just long enough to reach the tire. Turn off your fuel, and crank or kick your engine over and you have one big air pump.