Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Earphones - help with purchase

Earphones - help with purchase

ER6i's can be bought for $50, Bose for $90.
    For those of you who use earphones on your bikes, I don't.
    But I'm looking for a good set to use with my new computer. Anyone using the ER6i?? Or should I spend a few more bucks for the Bose set??
    Thanks

unless you are a high level audiophile....which I am not, the Etymotics work fantastic for me.They have enough mid range and bass for my ears. The Er6I's noise cancelling seem to keep out all but emergency sirens
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

I've found this website very helpful in choosing the right solution. I've purchased headphones from them in the past and they have been excellent. Good luck.

http://www.headphone.com/products/
    98 R1200C Canyon Red

Along those lines.....

Not to hijack this, but I too am interested in some ear phones, but need to be able to put them in my N102. Is there a kit out there, or does anyone have any suggestions? I can be pretty creative, but I do not want to take a chance on tearing up a good helmet.

Thanks
    Jim Mock
    2008 R1200RT (The Blue Mule), R90/6 (New to me)
    MSF RiderCoach
    "Spring loaded to the riding position!"

er6i's are excellent. Good fidelity (important when listening to Doofus my GPS..), and comfortable under a helmet. Also - block out more ambient noise than my custom made earplugs do. Can't say on the Bose, but IMHO - Bose = PIAA, a triumph of marketing over actual technology..

For speakers in your helmet (never worked well for me since I always wear earplugs) - RiderWarehouse has them from $15 and up.. I gave up on them, couldn't hear them at speed, and were deafening at lower speeds.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by dshogman View Post
    ER6i's can be bought for $50, Bose for $90.
    For those of you who use earphones on your bikes, I don't.
    But I'm looking for a good set to use with my new computer. Anyone using the ER6i?? Or should I spend a few more bucks for the Bose set??
    Thanks
    I haven't tried the Bose, and you didn't specify a model - but doing a quick search, the only ones I've found online have a little tab on the body that drop down and attach to the wire. That little tab would be a source of discomfort for me and I'd immediately reject them.

I have both the ER6's and ER6i's. I find the ER6's more comfortable - the silicon tips are softer than the ER6i's are. On the flipside, the ER6i has various size tips available. I've also tried the Shure E2's and E3's, didn't like their bulk and fit in the helmet, even though the sound was good.

Where did you find ER6i's for $50?!?? They are $72+ everywhere I've looked...
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

BFish
    er6i guy here and love 'em. be careful when pulling out from ear to grab the earphone and not the wire.

Quote Originally Posted by leadfoot View Post
    Not to hijack this, but I too am interested in some ear phones, but need to be able to put them in my N102. Is there a kit out there, or does anyone have any suggestions? I can be pretty creative, but I do not want to take a chance on tearing up a good helmet.

Thanks
    I don't think I understand the question... earphones slip into your ear and you just pull the helmet on, no need to modify the helmet.

If you mean you want to use earphones with the N-com module, then this would require modifying the speaker/mic insert. You'll be very disappointed though, unless the design changed recently (I see nothing on their website that would support that idea) as it is a mono module even though it has a stereo input jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Bfish View Post
    er6i guy here and love 'em. be careful when pulling out from ear to grab the earphone and not the wire.
    Well don't yank on them I pull mine out by the wire, slow, steady pull and it comes out just fine. Going on 6 years now with the same pair of ER6's...

If you find it difficult to insert/remove earplugs, and for an overall better (more noise reduction) seal, try some Oto-ease...
    http://www.maxiaids.com/store/prodVi...idproduct=5583

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    The ER6i was priced at $50 earlier this week at Amazon. I see it's back up to $76. Glad I bought a couple of pairs...

Oto-ease? I suppose....if you don't want to lick them.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Oto-ease? I suppose....if you don't want to lick them.
    Ewwww....

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by wmubrown View Post
    I find the ER6's more comfortable - the silicon tips are softer than the ER6i's are. On the flipside, the ER6i has various size tips available. I've also tried the Shure E2's and E3's, didn't like their bulk and fit in the helmet, even though the sound was good.
    And I found the Shure E3s more comfortable than the ER6i's. On a couple of occasions, the helmet pushed the ER6is too far into my ear canal: had to rely on the kindness of strangers to extricate them. I guess it's an individual preference and ear shape.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    And I found the Shure E3s more comfortable than the ER6i's. On a couple of occasions, the helmet pushed the ER6is too far into my ear canal: had to rely on the kindness of strangers to extricate them. I guess it's an individual preference and ear shape.
    Every ear is definitely different and can change over time, and due to factors such as allergies. A larger tip on the ER6i's might have worked, but if the E3's fit, they are a pretty good earphone. Not sure about their noise reduction rating though...

Earphone price

The ER6i's were on Amazon for $50 for a day or so. Now they're back up to $77.
    Whoops - see someone else caught this......

Quote Originally Posted by wmubrown View Post
    I don't think I understand the question... earphones slip into your ear and you just pull the helmet on, no need to modify the helmet.

If you mean you want to use earphones with the N-com module, then this would require modifying the speaker/mic insert. You'll be very disappointed though, unless the design changed recently (I see nothing on their website that would support that idea) as it is a mono module even though it has a stereo input jack.
    What I am basically looking for at this time is earbuds or speakers that I can use while riding. I want something temporary until I can go Bluetooth. I just got my Zumo 550 and am in the process of setting it up. First GPS for me, and will go to Bluetooth when I get a new helmet (unless possible with my N102). I am trying to learn as much as possible from here instead of spending a ton of money until I find a setup, no one near me that has a setup like this.

Once again, a little off the main post, but this seems like the right area to get the info I need. If I am incorrect in doing so, please advise and I will post seperately.

Thanks, Jim
    Jim Mock
    2008 R1200RT (The Blue Mule), R90/6 (New to me)
    MSF RiderCoach
    "Spring loaded to the riding position!"