Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39

Thread: Earphones - help with purchase

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Registered User dshogman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wherever I park it
    Posts
    14

    Earphones - help with purchase

    ER6i's can be bought for $50, Bose for $90.
    For those of you who use earphones on your bikes, I don't.
    But I'm looking for a good set to use with my new computer. Anyone using the ER6i?? Or should I spend a few more bucks for the Bose set??
    Thanks

  2. #2
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    between SanAntone & the Weird Place, TX
    Posts
    5,931
    unless you are a high level audiophile....which I am not, the Etymotics work fantastic for me.They have enough mid range and bass for my ears. The Er6I's noise cancelling seem to keep out all but emergency sirens
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

  3. #3
    Registered User REBGEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Clive, IA
    Posts
    211
    I've found this website very helpful in choosing the right solution. I've purchased headphones from them in the past and they have been excellent. Good luck.

    http://www.headphone.com/products/
    98 R1200C Canyon Red

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mississippi Coast
    Posts
    391

    Along those lines.....

    Not to hijack this, but I too am interested in some ear phones, but need to be able to put them in my N102. Is there a kit out there, or does anyone have any suggestions? I can be pretty creative, but I do not want to take a chance on tearing up a good helmet.

    Thanks
    Jim Mock
    2008 R1200RT (The Blue Mule), R90/6 (New to me)
    MSF RiderCoach
    "Spring loaded to the riding position!"

  5. #5
    A bozo on the bus deilenberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Spring Lake NJ, USA
    Posts
    7,730
    er6i's are excellent. Good fidelity (important when listening to Doofus my GPS..), and comfortable under a helmet. Also - block out more ambient noise than my custom made earplugs do. Can't say on the Bose, but IMHO - Bose = PIAA, a triumph of marketing over actual technology..

    For speakers in your helmet (never worked well for me since I always wear earplugs) - RiderWarehouse has them from $15 and up.. I gave up on them, couldn't hear them at speed, and were deafening at lower speeds.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

  6. #6
    Chairman of the hoard wmubrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by leadfoot View Post
    Not to hijack this, but I too am interested in some ear phones, but need to be able to put them in my N102. Is there a kit out there, or does anyone have any suggestions? I can be pretty creative, but I do not want to take a chance on tearing up a good helmet.

    Thanks
    I don't think I understand the question... earphones slip into your ear and you just pull the helmet on, no need to modify the helmet.

    If you mean you want to use earphones with the N-com module, then this would require modifying the speaker/mic insert. You'll be very disappointed though, unless the design changed recently (I see nothing on their website that would support that idea) as it is a mono module even though it has a stereo input jack.
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mississippi Coast
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by wmubrown View Post
    I don't think I understand the question... earphones slip into your ear and you just pull the helmet on, no need to modify the helmet.

    If you mean you want to use earphones with the N-com module, then this would require modifying the speaker/mic insert. You'll be very disappointed though, unless the design changed recently (I see nothing on their website that would support that idea) as it is a mono module even though it has a stereo input jack.
    What I am basically looking for at this time is earbuds or speakers that I can use while riding. I want something temporary until I can go Bluetooth. I just got my Zumo 550 and am in the process of setting it up. First GPS for me, and will go to Bluetooth when I get a new helmet (unless possible with my N102). I am trying to learn as much as possible from here instead of spending a ton of money until I find a setup, no one near me that has a setup like this.

    Once again, a little off the main post, but this seems like the right area to get the info I need. If I am incorrect in doing so, please advise and I will post seperately.

    Thanks, Jim
    Jim Mock
    2008 R1200RT (The Blue Mule), R90/6 (New to me)
    MSF RiderCoach
    "Spring loaded to the riding position!"

  8. #8
    Registered User westhautianplen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Terre Haute
    Posts
    125

    Noise Reducing Ear Buds

    Quote Originally Posted by leadfoot View Post
    Not to hijack this, but I too am interested in some ear phones, but need to be able to put them in my N102. Is there a kit out there, or does anyone have any suggestions? I can be pretty creative, but I do not want to take a chance on tearing up a good helmet.

    Thanks
    I have a pair of Big Ears. I plug them into my Zumo 550 so I can hear verbal directions from my co pilot in the GPS. I can also listen to music XM or MP3.

    This company hits most of the bike shows and ralleys. They actually are molded to fit your ear canal. Great fit, very comfortable and they reduce the ambient wind and associated riding noises, however you can still hear and you do not have to mount or glue them into your helmet. Just put them in and slid you helmet on. You might want to check out thier web site. They have different models, they sold me the clear ones ( B1-C model I think )


    http://www.bigearinc.com/home/Default.aspx

    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Plen; 02-27-2009 at 07:42 PM.
    Plen Smith
    07 R1200RT

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Plen View Post
    I have a pair of Big Ears. I plug them into my Zumo 550 so I can hear verbal directions from my co pilot in the GPS. I can also listen to music XM or MP3.

    This company hits most of the bike shows and ralleys. They actually are molded to fit your ear canal. Great fit, very comfortable and they reduce the ambient wind and associated riding noises, however you can still hear. and you do not have to mount or glue them into your helmet. Just put them in and slid you helmet on. You might want to check out thier web site. They have different models, they sold me the clear ones ( B1-C model I think )


    http://www.bigearinc.com/home/Default.aspx

    Hope this helps.
    I have a set of the Etomics, like them a lot, but on my ride to California last year, after three 12 hour days, my ears were sore. Just that little bit of pressure pushing on my ear canals built up over that time to pain.

    I had heard of the Big Ear speakers from someone at the local bike shop, so I looked them up at the ractrack.
    They had sets you could listen to, and i am glad. Their 225 dollar plugs were far inferior sound wise to the Etomics. The next set were 400 dollars. iwas in a quandry, I wanted the in ear monitors for noise reduction and sound, but was not willing to pay that much.

    Luckily Big ear was not the only company selling molded in ear monitors.
    I ended up with a pair from Now Hear this. The were less money than the big ear set, and I could not tell the difference in sound from the Etomics, which was a big plus for me.

    Now hear this doesn't have a web site, they can be reached at 305-477-2333.


    Just my experience and $.02

  10. #10
    Chairman of the hoard wmubrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by dshogman View Post
    ER6i's can be bought for $50, Bose for $90.
    For those of you who use earphones on your bikes, I don't.
    But I'm looking for a good set to use with my new computer. Anyone using the ER6i?? Or should I spend a few more bucks for the Bose set??
    Thanks
    I haven't tried the Bose, and you didn't specify a model - but doing a quick search, the only ones I've found online have a little tab on the body that drop down and attach to the wire. That little tab would be a source of discomfort for me and I'd immediately reject them.

    I have both the ER6's and ER6i's. I find the ER6's more comfortable - the silicon tips are softer than the ER6i's are. On the flipside, the ER6i has various size tips available. I've also tried the Shure E2's and E3's, didn't like their bulk and fit in the helmet, even though the sound was good.

    Where did you find ER6i's for $50?!?? They are $72+ everywhere I've looked...
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

  11. #11
    BFish
    Guest
    er6i guy here and love 'em. be careful when pulling out from ear to grab the earphone and not the wire.

  12. #12
    Chairman of the hoard wmubrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by Bfish View Post
    er6i guy here and love 'em. be careful when pulling out from ear to grab the earphone and not the wire.
    Well don't yank on them I pull mine out by the wire, slow, steady pull and it comes out just fine. Going on 6 years now with the same pair of ER6's...

    If you find it difficult to insert/remove earplugs, and for an overall better (more noise reduction) seal, try some Oto-ease...
    http://www.maxiaids.com/store/prodVi...idproduct=5583
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

  13. #13
    Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    3,075
    The ER6i was priced at $50 earlier this week at Amazon. I see it's back up to $76. Glad I bought a couple of pairs...

    Oto-ease? I suppose....if you don't want to lick them.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

    -Tom (KA1TOX)

  14. #14
    Chairman of the hoard wmubrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Oto-ease? I suppose....if you don't want to lick them.
    Ewwww....
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

  15. #15
    RK Ryder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    2,044
    Quote Originally Posted by wmubrown View Post
    I find the ER6's more comfortable - the silicon tips are softer than the ER6i's are. On the flipside, the ER6i has various size tips available. I've also tried the Shure E2's and E3's, didn't like their bulk and fit in the helmet, even though the sound was good.
    And I found the Shure E3s more comfortable than the ER6i's. On a couple of occasions, the helmet pushed the ER6is too far into my ear canal: had to rely on the kindness of strangers to extricate them. I guess it's an individual preference and ear shape.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •