Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Sweet Canyon, The Peak to Peak Scenic Byway - Vid/Images

On a Ride

A Sweet Canyon, The Peak to Peak Scenic Byway - Vid/Images

Few weeks ago, in between flurries on an Indian Summer day packed a small digital cam and the helmet cam. Recorded a spirited ride up a sweet and lonely canyon, then took a few pics along the Peak-toPeak Scenic Byway. In case interest:

Here's the map of the ride...

The first stop was an outdoor lunch at the Stone Cup in Lyons. Note the helmet with the industrial velcro on the left jaw side. This is the cam helmet. Can see the edge of the helmet in the upper right of the recording...

Here's the onboard video of the 3000ft. ascent of St. Vrain Canyon to the Peak-to-Peak. Late autumnal colors give way to early winter as altitude is attained. Nevertheless, the razor blue sky and the sun dance with the video make this a sweet K ride. The exhaust note is present along with the tune "Under the Milky Way".

The St. Vrain Canyon - Onboard Video Ride

First stop on the Scenic Byway is a pause at the southern end of Rocky Mountain National Park. This is the Wild Basin area with 13,161ft. Copeland Mtn. guarding the southern flanks...

Working our way south the granite K bike acknowledges the granite ramparts of Mt. Meeker (13,911ft.) on the right. The middle peak is Chief's Head. Can you see the source for its name?

Pausing above Peaceful Valley, homage is given to the Continental Divide with the imposing Sawtooth on the left. I once descended this valley on a cold January day with the hamster between the ears turning the wheel slowly, forgetting there could be ice in the shade. Sheeeeeyikes! as the cheeks left a raised ridge on the seat...

And the last pause, with the timeless Indian Peaks somehow affirming they will be waiting for you and I after winter's act...

Smile

enjoyed the pictures and video.
    Val

Gorgeous!

Great pics and awesome video! Thanks for sharing.

I love that area and hope to ride it again.
    Bob Smith
    '98 R1200C
    '80 XS850 Special
    '05 Rocket III

Rally Rat
    Great video, I don't think I could hold my head still that long, you did a great job! Nice choice in bikes, too, by the way! How do you like the slip on? I'm looking for something not as huge as the torpedo the factory stuck on there, but don't really want it louder...........I guess that's a differant thread......

Great pics and video, I realy want to get back out west sometime soon.

RK Ryder
    Thank you for sharing your pictures and video. It brought back memories from my ride in that area two summers ago in Colorado.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Registered User ALIENHITCHHIKER's Avatar
    Looks like that K bike enjoys dispatching the cages.

Steve
    Current Hottie: '00 R1100RT
    Old Flames: FY K100RT, '80 XS850 with Vetter Quicksilver, '67 Bonnie, '66 Honda 90

Would love to ride out there some day. Thanks for posting.
    Terence
    R75/5 R100RS K100RS R1100S

On a Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by john1691 View Post
    Great video, I don't think I could hold my head still that long, you did a great job! Nice choice in bikes, too, by the way! How do you like the slip on? I'm looking for something not as huge as the torpedo the factory stuck on there, but don't really want it louder...........I guess that's a differant thread......

Great pics and video, I realy want to get back out west sometime soon.
    Thanks all. It was a good ride. Something about a late autumn, quiet roads, perhaps a wish time would move slowly and the day not end.

John... That's a full Akropovic exhaust on this bike coupled with the Evoluzione race filters. The air box was dremeled so more air could be inhaled. The thing scoots and it sounds pure race. BMW has placed one of the sweetest inline 4 exhaust notes I've heard with the K12S.

On a Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by alien_hitchhiker View Post
    Looks like that K bike enjoys dispatching the cages.

Steve... the lonely canyon, the video tape running, curves ahead... well, it was irresistible.

franze

Nice

Hi Steve,

Another great video. LOVED the engine noise at the end of the video! You're the KING!!!!

Paul

Talking Wow, what a nice video (wish the exhaust note was louder on the soundtrack, though)

Brought back fond memories of my younger days in New Mexico on my K100RS; cruising along I-25 at 90-120mph, passing cars like they were standing still...
    ---Jeff

ex: K75S Berlina R100GS/PD , K100RS , R75/5 , R60/2

open road

cool video .. tell me about your helmet cam ...
    Driven-Arctic Circle
    http://www.vimeo.com/7780879
    Driven Down - Yaviza - Darien Gap
    https://vimeo.com/42443080

On a Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by franze View Post
    Hi Steve,

Another great video. LOVED the engine noise at the end of the video! You're the KING!!!!

Paul
    Paul... Good to hear from you! Is Geneva in your plans next summer?

franze
    No plans on the horizon to return to the old world. Plan on spending time re-visiting the wild west. Might hear from me in your backyard next summer. Here's my "new" ride on the way to Lassen the week before Halloween.

Thanks, Steve. Love the video - actually had me leaning in the turns. And beautiful pics, too!
    Dan