Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I rode yesterday....

I rode yesterday....

Nothing special, or even long. But the turkey was on the pit, most veg that could be peeled and cubed was ready. The sun was shining. It was 40 degrees in my garage. I've never ridden that late in the year. Heck, half the Thanksgivings here have snow on the ground.

But I took a ride around town. The roads were wet and dry, many had sand on them as there was a lot of moisture in the air from the previous night's storm which caused a thick frost. But by 10 they weren't too bad. Rode over to the "office" (the bank nearby said 32 degrees on the marqee), back across town to my parents' place for a quick visit then across the new bridge for home.

It wasn't much but it'll likely be the last ride of the year. Time to get the K packed away in the shed for the winter.

I guess I can hope for an early spring like '06 when I rode in March.....
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

Some of the best rides are the ones you didn't think you'd get a chance to do. Thanks for the gentle reminder.

Fingers crossed for an early spring for you.

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

yep, i was out today!!! nothing long, but I was out!!! -- It felt SOOOO good to feel raw power as I headed downtown for a quick loop. Yeah, needed to watch out for the sand on corners... but it sure felt good.

Unhappy

Yeah, today was my LAST ride for the season. Rode 40 miles in the sunshine to Beemer Hill-Motorcycle-Rest-Home to park it for the winter. 3 to 4 months without. So sad!

You guys and girls bring back some ( not so fond ) memories. In Feburary 1976 my Dad and Brother helped me get my bike out of the driveway, so I could ride to Daytona Beach for Bike week. This happened in northwest Pennsylvania, and I was riding a 1972 Kawasaki 750 triple. In 1980 I moved south for good...

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    39 and overcast but I had to get out for another ride before ski season takes over. Start ski racing this week so I had to do it!.

Quote Originally Posted by xp8103 View Post
    Nothing special, or even long. But the turkey was on the pit, most veg that could be peeled and cubed was ready. The sun was shining. It was 40 degrees in my garage. I've never ridden that late in the year. Heck, half the Thanksgivings here have snow on the ground.

But I took a ride around town. The roads were wet and dry, many had sand on them as there was a lot of moisture in the air from the previous night's storm which caused a thick frost. But by 10 they weren't too bad. Rode over to the "office" (the bank nearby said 32 degrees on the marqee), back across town to my parents' place for a quick visit then across the new bridge for home.

It wasn't much but it'll likely be the last ride of the year. Time to get the K packed away in the shed for the winter.

I guess I can hope for an early spring like '06 when I rode in March.....
    Maine is really beautiful, if you like winter scenes!! I was stationed there in the late 60's and had never imagined a chill factor of 75 below, but experienced it around Bangor. My CAR didn't even like it! More power to ya and ride all you can whenever you are able.
    2012 Triumph Tiger 800
    1988 Honda Hawk GT
    2009 KLR 685
    1981 Honda Trail 110

That would be around the old Dow AFB then? Still the longest runway in Maine. One of the very few "alternate" runways where the Concorde could land in case of emergency.

Yep, cold.
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

That would be around the old Dow AFB then? Still the longest runway in Maine. One of the very few "alternate" runways where the Concorde could land in case of emergency.

Yep, cold.
    Yes, Jan. of '67. It was so cold ( how cold was it?) , that the next morning after I shoveled out my Ghia, the plastic trim broke and fell off the dash and the electric wind clock spring went berzerk. Beer was placed on the window sill outside the barracks for --2-3 minutes, any more was ka-froze!! Snow plowed on the runways and taxiways never melted till mid-June. Best thing I ever saw was "Dow AFB" in my rear view mirror.
    2012 Triumph Tiger 800
    1988 Honda Hawk GT
    2009 KLR 685
    1981 Honda Trail 110

Quote Originally Posted by LCLEGG View Post
    Yes, Jan. of '67. It was so cold ( how cold was it?) , that the next morning after I shoveled out my Ghia, the plastic trim broke and fell off the dash and the electric wind clock spring went berzerk. Beer was placed on the window sill outside the barracks for --2-3 minutes, any more was ka-froze!! Snow plowed on the runways and taxiways never melted till mid-June. Best thing I ever saw was "Dow AFB" in my rear view mirror.
    I went to school at the University of Maine at Orono, just a few miles up the interstate (although I guess back then, there WAS no interstate!) and have fond memories of walking across campus in mid-February...... Ok, NOT SO FOND memories....
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Good to hear you're getting out in the frozen north. I got out for a short ride, maybe 45 miles, yesterday, just a few around town things to do. We've had overcast and sleet with most of the country roads covered in ice for the last week, nothing like Maine though. Don't think TDOT even knows we have roads around me, never seen a plow or salt/sand truck around here. Yesterday was sunny with the roads dry, temp never broke 27F though. Bike didn't want to start but once going it ran fine. Can't say the same for my nifty BMW digital tire gage, it just gave a half hearted gurgle and wouldn't read a thing. Great to ride though. Got plenty of strange looks from drivers and got stopped at a flag man (actually woman) who couldn't believe I was out riding. Everyone in my stops though I was crazy.

I went to SERE school back in '89. It was based at NAS Brunswick but they took us up north for the school, don't even know where I was. It was early April and I darn near froze even then. I was actually happy for the interrogations, got me into a warm room for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyW View Post
    I went to SERE school back in '89. It was based at NAS Brunswick but they took us up north for the school, don't even know where I was. It was early April and I darn near froze even then. I was actually happy for the interrogations, got me into a warm room for awhile.
    And we have plenty of cold remote places to hold that school too!!
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

That's for sure. Have to say of all the schools I went to in 21 years of the military the SERE schools I attended were some of the best things I did, in hindsight....sure wasn't happy during them though!

Quote Originally Posted by RandyW View Post
    That's for sure. Have to say of all the schools I went to in 21 years of the military the SERE schools I attended were some of the best things I did, in hindsight....sure wasn't happy during them though!
    What stinks is that I would assume that the school up here is going away when the base does in 2010... Maine used to be on the front line when the war was cold with the eastern-most AFB in Loring. Cutler Naval Station, Dow AFB, and now NAS Brunswick. All gone.
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

What stinks is that I would assume that the school up here is going away when the base does in 2010... Maine used to be on the front line when the war was cold with the eastern-most AFB in Loring. Cutler Naval Station, Dow AFB, and now NAS Brunswick. All gone.
    I would imagine so. Actually not sure they are still running it. When I went through the Navy was just starting to integrate women into combat aircrews, which ment you needed SERE, but Brunswick wasn't set up for women. They sent all the women to the Air Force SERE up in Washington state because they had already been putting women through that one. Talk at the time was the military was going to consolidate the schools and go with the Air Force. I went through several other SERE's during my flying days and they were all Air Force run.

It is a shame that they are closing so many stations. I was lucky and was in at a time when I got to go to some wild places, all of which are closed now.