Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Helmet Smell

Low speed, high drag

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 37071 View Post
    A Shoui helmet I owned years ago came with a recommendation to wash out the inside with what ever shampoo you normally use. Shampoo isn't too harsh. It definately helps to remove/reduce the funk.
    +1 to this and the other posters suggesting shampoo.

The Shoei factory rep gave me the same info at the Cycle World/Int'l Motorcycle Show in Mpls. last year.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmetzger View Post
    Be careful with the cedar chips unless you know you're not allergic. I know it sounds odd, but I have reactions to cedar chips. Learned that lesson LONG ago when I was in elementary school and my parents got me a guinea pig. I ended up with a rash (washing fixed it right away). More testing confirmed it was the cedar and not the animal. Ended up using pine, which wasn't as good but worked OK.

I would hate to see someone cedar up their helmet and then not be able to use it ever again.
    I use a cotton bag stuffed with cedar shavings and have had no problems. I have made a lot of these bags to give to friends and members of my club and haven't heard any complaints back yet. The bags that I make are well sealed to make sure the shavings stay inside. Your problem with the shavings seems to have been caused by direct contact with the material. I've read that the aromatic oil has a slight anti-bacterial effect. YMMV.

Get a helmet with removable liner.

I've bought new helmets because of the stench in the old ones, too. But two and a half years ago, when my one year old Shoei RF1000 smelled to high heaven, I bit the bullet and bought a Shoei X-11 because of its removable liner. I have a thick head of hair and sweat like a pig, and Texas summers make my helmet get very nasty in no time. With the X-11 I remove the liner and cheek pads, and wash them in warm water and shampoo a few times each summer and once in the winter. I let it dry on a towel, reinstall it, and the helmet smells just fine. Now that it doesn't stink, I plan to wear this helmet for its full five year expected life. Even though the X-11 costs quite a bit more than the RF1000, the removable liner will add life to the helmet making it pay for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrocer View Post
    Go to a Pet store and buy a bag of cedar chips stuff a healthy bunch of them in an old pillowcase, stuff the filled pillowcase into your helmet. Preferably an absorbent flannel or silk one but any will do!

Cotton absorbs the moisture, cedar chips soak up the moisture, the dry air kills the bacteria. No more petro chemicals and ya gotta believe me, your helmet smells great. You can ride 500 miles on a hot day and yu'll still smell fresh and cedary.

ANd no, this isn't a practical joke. Get rid of the petrochemicals and get your helmet really clean.
    That actually sounds like a heckuva good idea!
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

Cleaning and de-odorizing your helmet

+1 on the shampoo trick. Has worked for me quite well. Use your wife's shampoo if you want a nice little (olfactory) treat while you're riding!! Just be careful if there's something about the smell of her shampoo that makes you "hot and bothered". Don't want any extra distractions while riding...

Another thing I use is Murphy's Oil Soap. It's extremely gentle, won't hurt anything inside your helmet and I really like the smell. After 2 or 3 months of riding most every day I find it's time to lather up the inside of the helmet again.

Enjoy your ride and ride safely.
    JAY
    2000 R1100RT, Opal Blue 87,000 miles
    57,000 BMW miles in 6 years

After reading some of the responses I can't help but say washing is the only real way to clean. Would you put your dirty clothes out to air on the deck or put them in cedar chips to clean them? No, of course not (I hope) Helmets get body oils in the fabric and masking them with scents etc. simply is not hygienic. Try washing as my previous post suggests and look at the water before draining, you will be surprised how dirty it is.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Wash - Wear.. use WOOLITE or Lysol Laundry detergent... or could use "sham"-poo do NOT use REAL "poo".

edit.. might want to use your shop vac to suck out the excess water...

If you can pull out the liner, that's best....

Of course "SLIKS" or a "do-rag" help, too... minimize "helmet hair"

Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    Try washing as my previous post suggests and look at the water before draining, you will be surprised how dirty it is.
    That is a fact. The first time I washed my liner I was amazed at how disgustingly brown the water was. Yuk...
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

stinky helmet

i have had good luck with the aerostich helmet dog but you do have to set the helmet upside down to keep it in

My Arai, as well as my Nolan N-Com 102 have removable pads which I just wash from time to time
    MOA Member #106320A
    2003 R1150RT Silver
    2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite

jgarrard3ATL

Funky Monkey Hat

1) Regular bathing, including washing your hear, usually helps.

I try to take a bath at least once a month.

Okay. Sorry about that. Couldn't resist.

Seriously:

1) Any of the helmet liners are great and help to cut down on bacteria in the liner. You can just toss them in the washer.

2) You may want to try Motorex Helmet Care:

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...=TUC_98-0070_G

It consists of an anti-bacterial foam that you rub into the lining and allow it to dry for 24 hours or so.

3) If you have removable cheek pads or liners, you can wash those when the problem pops up. I clean my check pads in the sink and use Motorex every few months.

True to form, though, Hotlanta has a similar Summer to what you guys have out West..except we throw in humidity to life make truly unbearable.

The Motorex / check pad washing has worked well for me for well over a year, but last Summer, even that couldn't get my oh-dear out of my lid. I finally bit the bullet and washed my Shoeii in the tub with shampoo (couldn't afford real poo.) :-)

I was really worried about the drenching, liner hold-up, drying, etc. Surprisingly, the helmet held up and my manly scent was gone.

(I read in Rider a while back that most manufactures suggest that you do a full soak and wash for your helmet every six months or so.)

==============================
    Twenty years on two wheels.........$1,000 - $30,000 dollars.

That post-ride look of having just crawled out of a ditch after sleeping in it.....Priceless

LAGUNA

helmet funk

The English bike mags say fill it up with soap and water and let it sit for a while and then rinse with plain water. They also say put it in the dishwasher, both work. I live on the south Texas coast ,it is regularly 95 degrees with 100% humidity. Talk about funk! When I soak my helmets a real black funk oozes out of the liners and shell along with the soap. I have been washing them for years and they smell like brand new every time.The shells are made of closed cell foam and the liners are just cloth- soap and water does not hurt anything. My take is, if soap and water is going to degrade anything -what good is the helmet anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by laguna View Post
    The English bike mags say fill it up with soap and water and let it sit for a while and then rinse with plain water. They also say put it in the dishwasher, both work. I live on the south Texas coast ,it is regularly 95 degrees with 100% humidity. Talk about funk! When I soak my helmets a real black funk oozes out of the liners and shell along with the soap. I have been washing them for years and they smell like brand new every time.The shells are made of closed cell foam and the liners are just cloth- soap and water does not hurt anything. My take is, if soap and water is going to degrade anything -what good is the helmet anyway.
    I'm glad there are those who see the light (or funk in this case.....)
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.