Thread: Supplemental LED Brake Light

Hybrid View

DanRT02

Supplemental LED Brake Light

I ordered the Supplemental LED Brake Light that is in the BMW Motorrad Accessory catalog. See pic.

http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&i...741&myphotos=1

Not having this yet, can someone tell me how thay get installed and how it get wired.

LED Brake lights

I have the Hyper Lights - there is a small control unit which is tucked away in the rear storage unit... otherwise you just tap into the existing brake wiring. 30 minute job on mine.

Mine uses a different harness, but as far as the physical install (should be close to mine), the mounting plate matches up to the license plate mounting holes on the rear fender, generally you'll connect the light to the harness behind the license plate. This also means, that each time you take the license plate off the light is partially "uninstalled".

The harness probably connects up under the rear seat, but I haven't installed one on a R11xx. I installed mine in 30 or so too.

-Joel

DanRT02
    Thanks, I was hoping I wouldn't have to tap into the OEM wiring. I'd like to do a plug-n-play type of installation. I'll have to get this some thought.

OE Wiring

This is where the signal and power for new lights originates. The link you set up clearly shows tap connectors.

Piece of cake, even for an electrical moron like me.

DanRT02
    Thanks Beemer01.

I may not have been clear before. The add-on LED harness should connect to the LED unit behind the plate. Like Beemer01 said, you still need to either tap the LED harness into the factory harness, the harness may have a connector (I've seen a 2006 harness w/one) or fabricate a Y connection.

The kit shows scotch-lock taps which I have seen corrode over time, so you may want to consider an alternative connector. Guess you'll find out for sure when it shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by DanRT02 View Post
    I ordered the Supplemental LED Brake Light that is in the BMW Motorrad Accessory catalog. See pic.

http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&i...741&myphotos=1

Not having this yet, can someone tell me how thay get installed and how it get wired.
    I installed one on an 1150RT. Wired it directly to the brake light using piggy back connectors. The piggy back connectors plug in place of the existing brake wires and provide two connector (like a Y) to plug the original wire and the new LED wire. No splicing or tapping.

I got the connectors from the BMW mechanic at my local shop when I picked up the light. You will need three.

Takes about 30 minutes including removal of the brake light cover.
    Chris
    2010 1200RT

DanRT02

Y pig tail

The Y connector is what I would like to have for the brake light. Thanks, I'll be at a local shop tomorrow and I'll ask about these.

I make a Y conncector for my GoldWing when I added a second horn. It's a clean installation. I wasn't sure if this could be done for a add on brake light.

I installed a Brake! LED light in my r1100s, took less than 5 minutes. The company is back up here. I highly recommend, based on my experience. YMMV.

DanRT02
    Thanks coffeeguy, I'll add the addition brake light that I now have but may look at this modulator as another option.

DanRT02
    I have two problems. I didn't receive direction with the Supplement LED Brake Light. There is a white with a yellow strip wire and a white with a dark gray strip wire and I'm not sure where they connect to the bikes brake light wiring. Can someone tell me where these wires go?

Chris wrote "...Wired it directly to the brake light using piggy back connectors. The piggy back connectors plug in place of the existing brake wires and provide two connector (like a Y) to plug the original wire and the new LED wire" Does anyone know where I can get one of these piggy back connectors, I'll need three.