Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1984 R100rt

1984 R100rt

I have an opportunity to buy an '84 R100Rt,for $2300.The bike has 57,000 miles on it.Maintenance records from the original owner as well as the second owner of the past three years.It's silver/black,has a few scratches and the lower part of the fairing is off,but he has it. Has a new battery and is ready to ride,needs nothing mechanically. I think that is a great price on that bike,if I didn't just buy my '78 RS I would have it.I think it would be a nice addition to my garage,as well as a change from the RS. I'm thinking on it,what do you all think?
    George

shire2000
    Buy it, attach the lowers, and ride the heck out of it.

If you don't buy it, tell me where it is and what the phone number is. I can pack and leave real fast.

Bill Burke
    If you're made of money, buy it just for the principle of the thing. The price is certainly reasonable. If you're not made of money, then I'd consider it if you enjoy distance riding. The RT is a bit more comfortable for distance. I ride a /6 now with an S fairing, and I ride distance. There've been times when I missed my RT for that reason. Go where your heart and brains tell you to go on this thing.

Watkinsville, Georgia/Annapolis, Maryland
    Just like a boat or a car, it all comes down to what you want to do with it. How you are going to use it. I'm beyond the lean forward high perf point in my life and have always liked the look of an airhead RT. I currently ride a po'boys version an R100T with a clumsy Vetter fairing. Its functional, but to my eye the RT fairing is better looking and better for the bike. But to an RS fan, and RT would probably never cut it IMO.

I currently have a '83 R100T and a '72 R60/5 Toaster (up for sale). Tons of upgrades on my R100T make it a great bike for my purposes, but if/when I get a chance I'll get an RT and make similar upgrades (dual plugged heads, high output electrics, better lights, etc.).

If you don't buy it, put my name in line too. Otherwise, grab it, the price is right.
    '83 R100RT'd
    '71 R75/5 SWB
    '06 KLR 650

I've only ridden the RS once,which was up to my friends shop. The riding season is pretty much done here in upstate ny,so I won't know if the riing position of the RS will suit me until next season I guess. Unfortunately I'm not made of money,but I think that price on the RT is pretty good considering it's a get on and ride it bike that needs no overhauling.I'm thinking I'll get it and see which one I like better,sell the other one.I'm sure I can get my money back,maybe even a small profit. If I didn't have two kids in college right now,that bike would be in my garage,no hesitation.

I hear ya on the economic issues. If I didn't have this Toaster project (I hated seeing a bike laid up half in boxes, half still together waiting to be probably parted out), I'd probably be looking more seriously at something like what you've found. Good price, mechanically ready. I like a nice looking bike, but don't really need a garage queen. I want something I can ride all over the place and nto worry too much.

The RT to me is the ultimate for how I use a bike. I commute about 100 miles round trip on the DC beltway and side roads, so I want comfort and reliability. I'd love a 2004 RT, but not sure I am capable of handling all the mechanical tasks and can't afford to pay someone, so Airheads are for me.
    '83 R100RT'd
    '71 R75/5 SWB
    '06 KLR 650

It's not original paint, of course.

Buy it for the better engine, drivetrain and brakes compared to your '78.

You can easily mount your RS fairing to this chassis if you want.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

keelerb
    I have an 84R100RT, and find it a wonderful winter bike. Buy it, and your season is NOT over.

It's not original paint? I thought I've seen some RT's and RS's in what looked like silver/black or dark blue/black.Anyway that's not that important. I have a real nice Norton Commando that I'mgoing to sell.I never ride it ,prefer the ariheads.

Got pics of the Norton and a price? Just curious.
    '83 R100RT'd
    '71 R75/5 SWB
    '06 KLR 650

Buy it

They aren't making any more of these, you know. Very good price. Remember, he who hesitates is lost.
    I would still go thru the splines and steering head lube - receipts or not. Do receipts show unleaded conversion?

keelerb
    I love my RT.

But to sell a Norton Commando? Never. Best bike in the garage, and there's a few in there.

Annapolis, if he's selling, you should be buying!

Buy it. I had one that I bought new in 84 and rode it for ~100k. It was my favorite airheads for touring other than my R100GSPD. One thing to be aware of on the 84 is the exhaust valves. That vintage suffered from valve seat recession. I had to have the valves on mine done at ~ 46K miles. The newer/replacement valve seats are much improved.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

keelerb
    Re valve seat recession, I bought mine with 22K, check the valve clearances every 2K, run a little ValvTect once in a while...no sign of problems yet but that doesn't mean they're not coming. FWIW, I run this bike as my winter bike, so ambient temps run relatively low....can't imagine I've had it out above 60 degrees F (my feet would roast!), usually lower...not sure if that's relevant but FWIW...

Quote Originally Posted by keelerb View Post
    I love my RT.

But to sell a Norton Commando? Never. Best bike in the garage, and there's a few in there.

Annapolis, if he's selling, you should be buying!
    Torn between them, but I have to say I've been Jonesing for an RT since I discovered Airheads. I think in the past 12 months I've eaten and processed more airhead books, articles and online forums than I have meals (and bent more than a few ears). I love the look of an RS, but my body (back) doesn't have the same affection for it. The RT, more upright suits me better and I have a sort-of RT now.

The Norton Commando is just plain cool and gets cooler with the passage of time IMO. I don't know the first things about them other than there are far too few around!
    '83 R100RT'd
    '71 R75/5 SWB
    '06 KLR 650