Thread: Rider/Passenger communication

Rider/Passenger communication

I'm in the market for a communications system...Wireless is mandatory with ease of set up and use a close second. I'd prefer not to have any additonal hardware stuck or otherwise attached to my helmet. Any suggestions?
    2004 R1100S
    2008 Buell 1125R, 2009 Buell XB9SX
    2006 Honda CRF 250x
    2000 Honda XR 70, XR100

While it doesn't conform to the "no new stuff stuck to your helmet" requirement I can recommend the Scala Q2 Teamset highly. You do have to mount the units to the helmet but they are small and very easy to mount. I bought the set mainly for a wireless intercom with the additional need to at least answer a cellphone call while on the bike. It will also work with other Bluetooth gadgets like a GPS and will work bike to bike between the two. All you have to do is pair it with any of the extra gadgets you want to use with the system. The nice thing about the teamset is if you just want to use the two for on bike (or bike to bike) comms the two headsets are already paired at the factory, take them out of the box, mount them to your helmet and charge the units, and they work right out of the box.

Downfall is that if you do long days the internal battery may not be enough. Scala claims 8 hours or so but I think it's less depending on how much you use it and what you use it with. The wife and I use it for intercom and like it but most of our rides are only a few hours. I also don't make a habit of wet weather riding but have been caught in a 30-45 minute heavy downpour with the units on the helmets and had no problems with them. If you do need to pair them with another Bluetooth widget note that the pairing instructions from Scala are wrong. Go to Webbikeworld and check out their review of the Q2 Teamset, it gives the correct pairing sequence. It's not hard to do, took me about 2 minutes to pair each of them to a cellphone, but it helps to have the correct directions.

Thanks for the note. I'll definitely check it out. My primary need is to communicate with my girlfriend/passenger. Can each headset be paired to two different cell phones or gadgets? I prefer not to talk on the phone while riding. It would be cool if my passenger could though...
    2004 R1100S
    2008 Buell 1125R, 2009 Buell XB9SX
    2006 Honda CRF 250x
    2000 Honda XR 70, XR100

Check the "Chatterbox or Autocom?" thread here in Gear for more input as well.
    john1691
    2006 KTM 950 Super Moto

Quote Originally Posted by TBonesR1100 View Post
    I'm in the market for a communications system...Wireless is mandatory with ease of set up and use a close second. I'd prefer not to have any additonal hardware stuck or otherwise attached to my helmet. Any suggestions?
    Nolan N-COM!!
    Bullet Bill
    Worlds Oldest Unigo Dealer.

+1 SQ2 Team Set is a great way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyW View Post
    While it doesn't conform to the "no new stuff stuck to your helmet" requirement I can recommend the Scala Q2 Teamset highly. You do have to mount the units to the helmet but they are small and very easy to mount. I bought the set mainly for a wireless intercom with the additional need to at least answer a cellphone call while on the bike. It will also work with other Bluetooth gadgets like a GPS and will work bike to bike between the two. All you have to do is pair it with any of the extra gadgets you want to use with the system. The nice thing about the teamset is if you just want to use the two for on bike (or bike to bike) comms the two headsets are already paired at the factory, take them out of the box, mount them to your helmet and charge the units, and they work right out of the box.

Downfall is that if you do long days the internal battery may not be enough. Scala claims 8 hours or so but I think it's less depending on how much you use it and what you use it with. The wife and I use it for intercom and like it but most of our rides are only a few hours. I also don't make a habit of wet weather riding but have been caught in a 30-45 minute heavy downpour with the units on the helmets and had no problems with them. If you do need to pair them with another Bluetooth widget note that the pairing instructions from Scala are wrong. Go to Webbikeworld and check out their review of the Q2 Teamset, it gives the correct pairing sequence. It's not hard to do, took me about 2 minutes to pair each of them to a cellphone, but it helps to have the correct directions.

I don't want my passenger to talk to me. If they can talk, then we aren't going fast enough.

Kenny Rogers was close in his song.
    "There's time enough for talking,
    when the ridings done."