Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Throttlemeister bar ends

If I remember correctly the standard was a little bit heavier than the OEM bar ends. I am very happy with mine. It takes some fussy adjusting to get them just right when you first install them.
    Neal - '09 R1200GS / '81 R65

DanRT02
    I ended up picking up a heavy set and put them on the bike.
    I never had Throttlemeisters before and had my bike for about a week or so.
    I tried turning the bar ends that came with the bike and nothing happened.

When I went to install the TM's I noticed the bar ends I was taking off the bike looked just like the Throttlemeister I just bought and thought that was odd.
    I put the old bar ends back on the bike and tried turning the end again and it turned and operated just like the new TM's. You see where this is going don't you.

The bike came with the TM installed and the dealer didn't tell me nor did they work. They are working now and I'm able to return the new ones. Time to look at the shopping list again, boy do I hate that. Lets see, a back rest for the trunk oh I know...highway pegs. Both

Koako is better, imo:)

GSA1200 here and I went to buy the TM's and found the Koako on the shelf alongside. I went with the Koako, because of the "ease" of use, period. Both are well made, beyond approach. The TM smooth product is kind of hard to use without the teeth the Koako has. I've had the Throttlemeister on previous BMW's and found it an exceptional product, but my Koako cruise today simply works better with the teeth to grab on to. Randy

Kaoko:)

I may have made a spelling error, sorry. Kaoko is the proper doing IMO, Buying either product would serve the rider pretty darn well. I give TM an A+ for their finish work. Very pretty product.. Randy

DanRT02
    Randy, I like the idea of the grip portion on the bar ends. Do you know what the weight of the bar ends is? I have the heavy ones now and like them.

Dan, I'm not sure;

Our bikes are quite different. Mine is a GSA1200'07 model and the bushwhackers for the hand protection is not on your bike. My bar end weights are a lot different than your RT. The Kaoko system, I bought at my BMW dealer in Modesto,CA(Cycle Specialties BMW). The Koako simply took the place of the part between the bushwhackers and the bar end, no weights. Kaoko makes it for your bike, however I am certain of that and the parts for the exchange are probably present, but weight unknown to me. I do not think the weight would be any issue anyways, but maybe? Randy

Motorradfahrer
    Throttle meister bar ends are a beautiful piece of machined speed control deivces, and do reduce handlebar buzz, however I have to agree with HENZILLA that they are not as convenient to set compared to KAOKO. With the KAOKO one can easily lock ones speed by moving your hand a bit sideways and rubbing your palm downwards over the knurled wheel, while having your full hand still on the throttle all due to the knurled edged end wheel on the Kaoko. This is not so with the Trottlemeister due to its smooth shiny slippery steel. Your hand or glove tend to slip on the throttlemeister...you must use your entire fingers, thus covering less of your hand on the throttle...using the pingy won"t work.

Somewhere on this(?) forum is a thread about a guy who carefully determined where it should be placed and then drilled and tapped his TM for a grease zerk.
    It allows "operation by pinky"
    '04 Silver R1150RT "Big Oel". '05 Yellow KLR 650
    '00 Red Suzuki Bandit 600
    '65 Allstate/Puch 250 twingle
    "I just want somewhere to ride and food when I get there."

DanRT02

Modified the TM

Jeff, I've been thinking of ways that I could modify my TH ever since I saw the KAOKO. The grease zerk is not a bad idea but I might try drilling and pressing in a metal pin type of thing that would make rotating the TM a lot easier.

After the holidays I'll be working on this.

Quote Originally Posted by DanRT02 View Post
    Jeff, I've been thinking of ways that I could modify my TH ever since I saw the KAOKO. The grease zerk is not a bad idea but I might try drilling and pressing in a metal pin type of thing that would make rotating the TM a lot easier.
    That might be a better idea.
    Maybe a pop rivet would press in pretty easily and be soft enough to remove, if needed.
    Or, 5 or 6 of them in a line around the TM and with only the head being proud of the surface. Possibilities abound!
    '04 Silver R1150RT "Big Oel". '05 Yellow KLR 650
    '00 Red Suzuki Bandit 600
    '65 Allstate/Puch 250 twingle
    "I just want somewhere to ride and food when I get there."

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rihn-Manke View Post
    Throttlemeisters were designed by Del Fisher, a long-time BMW rider.

When he retired, he sold his company (Marker Machine) to the employees, and they continue to make and sell the product. His son, Fred Fisher, is still with them.

I've been using Throttlemeisters since Del first started making them. I strongly endorse them.

Stopped in at Marker this week and met Fred Fisher. Nice people and I go a tour of the facility to see how they are made. Small shop putting out alot of great product. They have about 1000 dealers and sell alot to Europe. Got to see Del's K1200RS with sidecar and Fred's Can Am Spider. Nice Wisconsin people!

Mudbug
    The heavy are longer than the standard. Some people like the longer models.