Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Road tar removal

On the Road

Road tar removal

How do I remove stubborn road tar from chrome and exhaust pipes.I have been using elbow grease, but even that is not so effective. Any good suggestions?

Easy Off oven cleaner. Follow directions carefully and do it in a well ventillated area.

shire2000
    Oven cleaner works well for removal. I prefer using Autosol and a ScotchBrite pad. Scrub em up real good, clean off the residue. Once cleaned, another dab of Autosol on a clean dry cloth, buff to a nice shine, use a second dry cloth to finish buffing. It leaves a clear film (you cannot see it) that helps to protect and makes the next cleaning much easier. I use it on all my chrome and aluminum. Autosol is available at most auto parts stores.

WD40 might work. There are some commercial tar removers in Auto parts stores. Polish with 0000 Steel Wool.
    Jim Johnson, OP Kansas
    Marcus Aurelius: "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

Quote Originally Posted by dachstom View Post
    How do I remove stubborn road tar from chrome and exhaust pipes. I have been using elbow grease, but even that is not so effective. Any good suggestions?
    Kerosene or WD-40. That is all I've ever used.

Rally Rat
    Virtually every autoparts store sells products specifically label "Bug and Tar Ramover" . . . and they work says the man from buggy Tennessee.

Floyd

Tar removal.

Try baby oil. It works great on the skin too.
    Mo Shaffer
    Maggie valley NC,
    St. George, BM

scotch brite pad will sratch the chrome...been there, done that. I strongly urge you not to use a scotch brite pad on your chrome.

shire2000
    Me thinks you are using the wrong ScotchBrite pads. I use the dark blue ones that are about 1/4 inch thick. I have used them almost since they were invented. Wife was always wondering where her pot scrubbers disappeared to. Now she buys me my own. I only use the ones that are safe on teflon coated pots and that have no soap in them. Have never scratched any chrome, aluminum or teflon in all the years I have used them. Perhaps you were pressing to hard.

I also use the same stuff, Autosol, with Scotchbrite pads to clean the engine and polish up any aluminum. Comes out great. If I do it long enough, it will look like chrome. But, I don't like my aluminum all that bright.

shire2000
    Me thinks you are using the wrong ScotchBrite pads. I use the dark blue ones that are about 1/4 inch thick. I have used them almost since they were invented. Wife was always wondering where her pot scrubbers disappeared to. Now she buys me my own. I only use the ones that are safe on teflon coated pots and that have no soap in them. Have never scratched any chrome, aluminum or teflon in all the years I have used them. Perhaps you were pressing to hard.

I also use the same stuff, Autosol, with Scotchbrite pads to clean the engine and polish up any aluminum. Comes out great. If I do it long enough, it will look like chrome. But, I don't like my aluminum all that bright.

Try Goo Gone followed by Mothers Metal Polish...will look like new!
    Attitude is everything!
    1978 R100/7
    08' V-Strom 650 great light weight tourer

Although solvents will work on non-baked tar, they might not work on tar that has been baked on. The oven-off idea might be necessary for that. I agree most abrasives will scratch chromed surfaces.

Try anything in a non-obvious area first.
    Retired w 2005 K1200LT, 2000 R1100RT, & 1975 R90/6

I use WD40.
    SABMWRA MOA #62
    2005 BMW R1200RT
    2008 Honda CBR1000RR LE
    1984 Kawasaki 750 Turbo E1

Rob Mayes
    I use Diesel Fuel on my cars and cycles. I put it in a spray bottle and let it soak the tar off. After 15 minutes I can usually rub the tar off with little effort. It's cheap and effective. I have never seen where it harms the paint.

The old Go-Joe handcleaner with lanolin used to work great on tar. It's been replaced with new "orange cleaners" that may work as well.