Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New F800 R, can it be?

New F800 R, can it be?

I found this on the Triumph RAT site. They are interested in parallel twins like the Bonneville over there. I thought the F-twins forum might enjoy a teaser.

But, i can't seem to post the link!!!! Try this...
    http://www.fasterandfaster.net/2008/...cial-pics.html

Len

Sure looks like it. Funny you saw it first on a Triumph site. I just saw it on a Honda site. Too bad it's a chain and not a belt drive.
    robert

It was announced at the Milan Show. BMW put out a press release with "remarks" making the introduction. It is for real. Intro date not stated, however. I'm guessing spring in Europe. No good guess for the U.S. I just don't know.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Talking

I wonder if the OEM seat will be like sitting on a wooden plank.

Bike looks quite sporting.
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

Quote Originally Posted by ultracyclist View Post
    I wonder if the OEM seat will be like sitting on a wooden plank.

Bike looks quite sporting.
    Probably
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by aaaaaa View Post
    Sure looks like it. Funny you saw it first on a Triumph site. I just saw it on a Honda site. Too bad it's a chain and not a belt drive.
    robert
    Don't want to start an argument, just expressing an opinion. As a recent Triumph Bonneville owner, I'd have to say, "What's the matter w/ a chain?" I know the advantages of this and alternative drive options. To me. all options have +'s and -'s.

Chain drives can be easy to maintain, cheap to replace, can be easily swapped out to alter ratios, and when kept in good repair and lubricated, very reliable.

Len

redrider1100
    Overall I like it. Except for the big ol' ugly brake fluid reservoir sitting way up high on the bars. You would think they could have at least made it black or something to make it less noticeable. That's the first thing my eyes went to.

Then I read this line in the press release:
    "BMW has also paid special attention to quality details in the immediate field of vision of the rider."

Right. They should add this prefix: "Except for the brake fluid reservoir, BMW has..."

Bob
    Why does BMW insist on using those d@#^ asymmetrical headlights as some sort of styling trademark? They make every bike they're put on look like some off-kilter mechanical cross between Bill the Cat and Marty Feldman.

Asymetrical Headlights

I think they keep doing it because they are pretty sure no one else will do it! As an owner of an R1100S, I did get used to the looks. But I do not think the R1100S asymetry is as bad as what I am seeing on some newer models now.

Maybe this will still catch on yet- hey I know, I am going to ask my optometrist for a pair of glasses with one BIG lens on the right and one SMALL lens on the left. Then I will feel balanced when riding.
    2014 R1200 GSA, 92 K75s. Gone: 97 F650st, 04 R1100s, 78 R80/7, 76 Honda 750F, Maico 400, Husqvarna 360 8 speed, Honda SL-350, Suzuki 250 Savage, Honda 175SL, Bonanza 100.

Quote Originally Posted by k75s View Post
    I think they keep doing it because they are pretty sure no one else will do it! As an owner of an R1100S, I did get used to the looks. But I do not think the R1100S asymetry is as bad as what I am seeing on some newer models now.

Maybe this will still catch on yet- hey I know, I am going to ask my optometrist for a pair of glasses with one BIG lens on the right and one SMALL lens on the left. Then I will feel balanced when riding.
    I don't happen to own a bike with weird headlights. But Voni does - an R1100S. We have ridden thousands of miles together, often with me in the lead. Glancing in my mirrors they don't look weird at all.

BMW does it because they use two different sized bulbs and two differently shaped reflectors to create the lighting pattern they want. They could do it other ways, but I rather like the function over form attitude displayed by those headlights.

If it is too weird - then buy something else.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I don't happen to own a bike with weird headlights. But Voni does - an R1100S. We have ridden thousands of miles together, often with me in the lead. Glancing in my mirrors they don't look weird at all.

BMW does it because they use two different sized bulbs and two differently shaped reflectors to create the lighting pattern they want. They could do it other ways, but I rather like the function over form attitude displayed by those headlights.

If it is too weird - then buy something else.
    I'm throwing the Bravo Sierra flag on this one.

BMW obviously finds the "lighting patterns" of round, or otherwise symmetrical headlights acceptable enough to use on various R, K, F and X bikes. Buying into the belief that somehow every little detail is the product of engineering, not design, is just plain gullible... It's more likely that such designs are adopted specifically to create the impression of "function over form", rather than as a result of it.

Bring back Hans Muth, or learn how to make a naked bike look good from the Brits and the Italians.

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 108625 View Post
    Bring back Hans Muth, or learn how to make a naked bike look good from the Brits and the Italians.
    BMW could have taken the R1200R round light out of the parts bin and used that instead, for what I think would have been a better look. But then again, I'm biased.

Fred
    F800GS (Bill the Cat - I like that!)
    R1200R (modern retro with round headlamp, and black with white stripes)

Question F800rt?

Any rumors of an RT or RS version of the 800? BMW seems to think we are all 6'2" and I believe there is a market for a fully faired smaller bike.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

It was election day so I guess the thread title was a bit off track, but the release was on the forum 11/4

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30885

The entire press release and a link to a slide show of all of the pictures for the F800R and the Lo Rider can be found there.

I have not heard anything but rumors and wants about an RT version of the F800