Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: do it all riding pants

Quote Originally Posted by GrantMacEachern View Post
    Although I wouldn't turn down a free Rallye 2 suit, I don't agree with the waterproof liner on the inside. Many have said that the outer layer being non-waterproof makes the outer shell get waterlogged after extensive rain riding....therefore heavy.
    Good thoughts, Grant.
    Here are my thoughts on the inner rain liner: I have the Savannah II suit. The liner is on the inside. If I get caught in a rain I'm not about to stop, take off my outer wear and then put on the liner and outer wear. I'll either just get wet, or put the liner on over the outside. But even if the coat gets wet, it really doesn't get waterlogged, in the sense of absorbing a lot of water. It's a non-abosorbent type of material that will dry fairly quickly once the rain stops.
    I use the liners in cooler weather because without them the suit is pretty porous.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by eaganj346 View Post
    I purchased a pair of First Gear TPG Escape pants last summer. They are a little warm in the summer, but do have vents on the thighs that help. They have a zip out thermal liner, complete armor (Knox CE, knee and hip)and are advertised as water proof. I haven't ridden in the rain in them yet......

HTH,
    John
    Ridden with these pants and jacket in 2 "frog chokers" at interstate highway speeds with no water intrusion.
    Tim
    1997 K1100 LT
    " If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there." And that is OK with me

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Although I wouldn't turn down a free Rallye 2 suit, I don't agree with the waterproof liner on the inside. Many have said that the outer layer being non-waterproof makes the outer shell get waterlogged after extensive rain riding....therefore heavy.
    The Tourmaster Transition 2 jacket is like this too. I don't mind so much that it gets wet, it's that it can get hot and uncomfortable over 75-80 degrees. There are a million vents, but they don't go through the liner, just the outer shell. Otherwise, it's inexpensive and my current favorite jacket.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

The Darien pants seem to be what you are looking for keeping in mind they are an overpant and not strictly a riding pant. I use a Darien jacket and many mixed feelings about it. I rode to Duluth from Ontario this summer to try on a pair thinking I must get them. After trying them on, something wasn't quite right. Being an overpant I found them big and bulky. Naturally they were Aerostich-stiff but I just couldn't get them. The bonus with the Aerostich is that they are heavy duty and you know they will last. With many of these newer suits with lighter nylon liners, small zippers etc they have a feeling they are more geared for fashion and might not last as many miles as you would expect. As I said, my BMG pants are starting to show their wear while the 'Stich is as good as new with the exception of copious amounts of road grime and bugs toning down the Hi-Viz on the front side.

I could go on....
    I think Grant has the answer for you, Josh.

If money wasn't a factor, I'd recommend either the Darien pants or the Roadcrafter Pants (with bib adapter). You know they'll last and will do the job you're looking for.

I'm looking at the Firstgear Kathmandu pants (NewEnough Link) for colder to moderate temperature riding. They appear well vented for warmer weather, and have a liner for really cold rides. They look like they could be good three season pants.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmetzger View Post
    Firstgear Air 2.0 - Basically mesh firstgear pants with a rainproof inner liner. These are great for hot weather though I really don't like the "inner liner" design. It's cumbersome if rain starts. I also know the "mesh" is not as protective as other material.
    I have the Firstgear Air 2.0 mesh, too, and I like them a lot. I've worn them to temperatures down to 45 degrees and, while it was a bit chilly it was hardly unbearable. But that 45 degree ride was only 30 minutes and it was dry. I wouldn't want to wear them at that temperature for hours on end or when it was raining. But they're great hot to cool weather pants. Not really a three season pair of pants, but for north Texas they're pretty close.

One other thought... For most parts of the USA, I don't believe there is any all-weather all-the-time gear. IMHO the best you can do is have three season gear that is easily adaptable to the conditions where you live and ride.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847