Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gustaffson windshield for S fairing

Gustaffson windshield for S fairing

I'm thinking about replacing the original windshield on my S fairing with a Gustaffson windshield. I was just wondering if anyone has any comments or preference of models. I'm looking for just a little more air blockage around the body and over the head. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dave

I purchased that shield last year. Bought the higher one with about a 2 1/2 inch lip. I am very satisfied withg it but since it is higher I think, ain't I fussy, that it does compromise the lines of the bike a little so it goes on for a trip and produces more protection from the rain. Was very glad to have it last year in W>V< and this year at the Square Route Rally. I am six foot tall and do not find any increase in wind buffeting BUT my buddy is 5 ft 10 inches , we brought them together, and he will not use his for the noise and buffeting is more he says. We both wear recent Araix lids. I imagine the standard heigth shield is as good as stock but the material that I have is thicker than my stock shields. Hope this helps.

Re: Gustaffson windshield for S fairing

Originally posted by D74R90S
    I'm thinking about replacing the original windshield on my S fairing with a Gustaffson windshield.
    Where can they be purchased?

MarkF

He is in Florida. I will have to digh out the address/telephone number for you. Expect a reply tonight. Russ

Here is the link to the one I was thinking about purchasing.

http://www.bikescreen.com/proddetail...00Sw%2FSpoiler

They have others that follow the original contour of the shield adding length without the spoiler. I would be interested in any input regarding them also.

Tx
    Dave

I forgot to ask, where does the wind hit your body or head with the spoiler on the shield. This is another problem I seem to have. My neck just gets sore on a windy day, going too fast or after spending too much time behind the Semis.

Thanks again,
    Dave

Gustafson is in Florida the address is somewhere but the telephone number is here 904-824-3443. The wind hits me at visor level, but I find no other problem than fatigue in crouching lower behind it for a bit of a respite. The stock shield puts the wind at my chest. There was in the past an aftermarket shield which was about 45 degrees from the vertical and higher, you can ask the Florida Swede about that one as he may be able to make one up for you. regards, Russ

I mocked up a cardboard spoiler on the stock shield and the wind hits me just about the bottom of the chinbar on my helmet and I'm just about 5'11". Do they add any height to the regular shape of the shield?

Thanks,
    Dave

Shield Custumizing

Thwe shield material is extruded then trimed. I cannot say if he can do a higher "lip" but that doesn't mean that he cannot. Best to give him a call. Russ

ducman

Windshield

I had a gustofson on my R100CS and have to say that I do not recommend it, severe windblast in the middle of my head. I eventually added a Saeng airwing on top of the lip and this helped but due to the flimsly construction it moved all over at speed. San Jose BMW sells a very nice tall shield for the S fairing that works very well but it does detract slightly from the classic look.

Would this be an example of the San Jose Shield?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Flimsy Gustafson

The model of gustafson that I posted information about was NOT a standard height model. In addition to the "lip" the entire unit sits about 3 ins. higher and on top of that is the "lip". Are wee talking different sizzed apples here from the gitgo?

Can you post a picture of your bike with the lipped shield on it?

Picture Post?

Wish I could. But havn't a clue how also do not own a digital camera. Also wised I would not post until I did a spell check as well. Russ

I also recently saw that Laminar Lip makes a Lip for the original-size S windscreen. I'm thinking of getting one of those for long rides. I recently saw an R100S with a tall screen like the one in that pic but I'm having trouble remembering who the owner said made it. I want to think parabellum but don;t wuote me on that. He was nice enough to let me test-ride it though to see if I liked the difference in airflow vs the stock S screeen I have. Results were inconclusive since the seating position and fairing height were not the same as my bike (R100R w/ S-fairing).
    Bikeless for now...but not for much longer!

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad