Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BMW Final Drive Failure Form

BMW Final Drive Failure Form

Recently, while at a local coffee shop, a fellow rider brought in the current issue of Motorcycle Consumers News (?) or Guide. There was a article talking about the issue of BMW final drive failures. I found it to be a very interesting article, and few covering the topic and having a place to log your own failure into a database. The piece even mentioned that BMWMOA chose to not be an advocate for their members and noted simply that it was a community forum for it's members - a claim that I felt was pretty lame for MOA.

That said, I found this site to log your own failures if you had one.

BMW Final Drive Failure Website
    http://www.bmwfinaldrive.com/index.html

BMW Final Drive Failure FORM
    http://www.bmwfinaldrive.com/fd_failure_entry.php

BMW Final Drive Failure List
    http://www.bmwfinaldrive.com/fd_failure_list.php

Regards,

Phil

mrich12000

Rear diff

I had no idea the problem was that extensive. Glad I have my K75

Santa Barbara CA, about 90 mi North of LA.

That Final Drive article is in this months ON also

I posted that awhile back, and now the same article has been reprinted and added to in the new BMW ON, (Owners News), magazine. The MC Consumer News is harder to find, and most riders have easier access to the ON. The info is very interesting, and a bit disturbing of course. I for one am amazed that BMW will let this issue go on unchecked, since it seriously affects their reputation. Some kind of retro-fit fix would certainly be logical, even as an option at owner's expense. Of course, in today's world, companys are afraid to open the door to law suits by admitting anything. Tort Law has ruined the concept of doing the right thing in many cases. Anyhow, the article is a very good history of the issue, and it's worth finding a copy to read. KC

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pparker1024 View Post
    Recently, while at a local coffee shop, a fellow rider brought in the current issue of Motorcycle Consumers News (?) or Guide. There was a article talking about the issue of BMW final drive failures. I found it to be a very interesting article, and few covering the topic and having a place to log your own failure into a database. The piece even mentioned that BMWMOA chose to not be an advocate for their members and noted simply that it was a community forum for it's members - a claim that I felt was pretty lame for MOA.

That said, I found this site to log your own failures if you had one.

BMW Final Drive Failure Website
    http://www.bmwfinaldrive.com/index.html

BMW Final Drive Failure FORM
    http://www.bmwfinaldrive.com/fd_failure_entry.php

BMW Final Drive Failure List
    http://www.bmwfinaldrive.com/fd_failure_list.php

Regards,

Phil
    Do a search for MCN and you will find this topic has been pretty much beaten to death already on the MOA forums.

RM

DZIMBRIC
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    Do a search for MCN and you will find this topic has been pretty much beaten to death already on the MOA forums.

RM
    151 drives out of ?????

That is UNACCEPTABLE

Ok guess I will unmmm uhh go and ahh

I wonder -

The early K final drives seemingly last forever... at least I've not heard of statistically high failures.

Wonder why they changed a pretty bullet proof design? Is it related to the newer paralever suspension?

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer01 View Post
    The early K final drives seemingly last forever... at least I've not heard of statistically high failures.

Wonder why they changed a pretty bullet proof design? Is it related to the newer paralever suspension?
    The design was the same from 1985 thru 2009 (the 12Lt). What changed was probably the load on the drive and the quality control. My guess.

The new drives which came out in 2005 (for everything except the 12LT with a final drive) are in fact a major design change.

One thing though on the new drives, my local dealer had maybe two loose spline hubs and a couple of leaky seals. No bearing failures...in four model years.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    The design was the same from 1985 thru 2009 (the 12Lt). What changed was probably the load on the drive and the quality control.....
    It would be interesting to know if BMW began sub-contracting parts like FD's to former Eastern Germany suppliers before they were fully up to speed with western style quality control .
    '89 K75S Original Owner
    '94 (Beta) R11RS, ( RIP 12-5-2010 courtesy of blind left turning cage driver ) ....

eljeffe
    You can see mostly LT-specific failures here:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/survey.p...results&sid=28

MOA ON and MCN have only confirmed what the LT guys have known for years. The weak link in BMWs since 1998 is the rear drive.

Junk Final drive

I have been riding beemers since 1973 when i bought a new r60/5, then i bought a r100/7 and then my 2002 k1200lt. my old r bikes were bullet proof. they never once left me along side the road boke down. i cant say the same for my very expensive k1200. i had the final drive go out and had to have a harley riding buddy pick me up with his pickup and trailor :-(. my bike only had 26k on it when the drive failed. bmw knows they have a problem. i will be buying another bike soon. hummmm Honda, guzzi will be my options this time.

Jersey Guy

Angry German Pride ??

Above someone said this subject has been beaten to death already.
    It amazes me that everyone isn't screaming from the hillsides about this. A company like BMW obviously misengineers the backbone of a majority of their productline leaving their customers and supporters standed. The fact that this has been going on over 10 years now is crazy. The fact that they continue to spend time on new projects instead of first fixing something so major, is insulting.
    And for ON not to have an artical every month about this to embarrass them into addressing the issue publicly is a failiure as a representative to the BMW Owners Of America.
    Add my 2007R1200GSA to the Final Drive failiure list. 16,000+ miles. To think I had the nerve to expect an $18,000 dollar purchase should give me more trouble free mileage. Not to mention the 2 failed ring sensors that I had to deal with.

Beaten to death? I don't think so!!!!
    Just wanna ride, Is that too much to ask?

One of the problems with BMWMOA is that it just isn't as independent as it needs to be.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Jersey Guy

Thumbs down

Hey BMWMOA, maybe instead of endless articles about your National Rally, you should be looking into how many bikes failed getting there.
    One of the worse things about this to me is, everyone riding these bikes is worried. Will it happen to me? We want to be safe, feel safe, feel proud, feel like we're on the best bike out there, but we're all worried.
    I was almost relieved when it happened. But after reading how some guys have had it happen twice, I'm back to worrying.
    So hope the rally was fun. Thanks for the support.
    Now I know how Arizona feels.
    Just wanna ride, Is that too much to ask?

MOA Inaction on Final Drives

I agree with several of the previous posts (especially BMWon2 and Acejones) regarding BMWMOA's inaction. I also think MOA should be our champion with BMW NA about this issue. I belong to a small chartered club (maybe 25 BMW riders) and we have seen three FD failures in our membership that I know of - there could be more. I have a 2003 RT that has had its share of mechanical issues despite expensive, regular dealer maintenance but not FD failure - at least not yet. BMW's response to my complaints was polite disinterest. In the latest BMWON there is a long interview with the guy who runs the motorcycle division in the states and instead of addressing issues such as reliability or why BMW doesn't even advertise in our magazine, the ON asks about his childhood in South Africa!!! Aargh. OUR organization should be representing OUR interests, not BMWs. Sometimes they coincide and sometimes they do not.
    I also wonder if the leadership of MOA and of BMW ever read these fori (forums?)

It would be real difficult for anyone to convince me to buy a new BMW. I read about FD failures and the "new" 800 series seem to have all kinds of diverse problems.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90