Thread: Over engineering or ????

Podzo

Over engineering or ????

The first oil change on my new '08 GSA today. I needed 6 different tools or sizes of sockets for the job. First of course, I had to take off the engine guard, one size normal socket for the back two nuts (that's 1). The front bolts where torx style of two sizes, explain that one! (that's 3). The drain bolt is a big allen (that's 4). Then of course the oil filter, on very tight, I needed an oil filter wrench (that's 5). Last and certainly not least, a plastic triangular thingy to access the hole to fill oil back in (that's 6). That's right fans, six different tools or sizes of sockets just to change the oil. Explain that to me, especially the 3 sizes of nuts and bolts to attach the engine guard with only 4 nuts and bolts to attach it. I think some German engineer is getting even with us for winning WW2.

GPodzo

No - not the engineers. The cost accountants. "No bolts bigger than necessary" is their battle cry.

And to a considerable extent we, the consumers, bring it on ourselves. If I had a nickle for every exclamation about how over priced a bike is, or a part is, on this Forum alone, I'd be a wealthy man.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Rob Mayes

Priorities

Appearance, Cost, Reliability, and finally servicability.

I guess i am missing the point.

I have not seen any mechanical item you can service with one tool, would be nice.

YMMV
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Podzo

One size nut head

I kind of understand the oil drain, the filter and oil cap. But why on earth would there be 3 different sizes for the engine guard? There is only four nutes/bolts holding it on and they use 3 different sizes.

gpodzo
    R1200GS Adventure over engineered or not made for shade tree mechanics

mrich12000

Arrow Bolt it

They should really consult the prospective owners as to the maintenance they will have to do.

you have a valid point mate.

Quote Originally Posted by podsobinski View Post
    There is only four nutes/bolts holding it on and they use 3 different sizes.
    Now i see your point - in that perspective it is silly. Guess i never noticed.
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

MrGrocer
    It's German, for Pete's sake. You were expecting it to not be slathered in different sized torx bolts and complicated clips and un switchable headlights...

I can't believe you'd try to ruin a bunch of Germans' day, you should be ashamed of yourself, they're so nice and courteous... or is that curt.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by podsobinski View Post
    Explain that to me, especially the 3 sizes of nuts and bolts to attach the engine guard with only 4 nuts and bolts to attach it. I think some German engineer is getting even with us for winning WW2.GPodzo
    It's not just the Germans. I replaced the water pump on the Buick I had. That the bolts that held the pump on were three diffeent sizes didn't bother me as much as half were metric and half were SAE. All of the bolts were similar in size and bolted to the same piece.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

I rebuilt a 51 Chevy pick-up truck sometime ago. I think you could take the entire thing apart with two wrenches (1/2, 9/16) and two screw drivers (flat, phillips). Even better, ditch the wrenches and replace them with a crescent wrench and a set of pliers.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    I rebuilt a 51 Chevy pick-up truck sometime ago. I think you could take the entire thing apart with two wrenches (1/2, 9/16) and two screw drivers (flat, phillips). Even better, ditch the wrenches and replace them with a crescent wrench and a set of pliers.
    Amen to that!

Gee, and all this time I thought the GS was a "go anywhere" machine...
    I think it's time to admit BMW is selling a two wheeled SUV, more show than go.
    (Here it comes.)

Podzo

Good Replys

I guess there is always something worse than the engine skid plate on my GSA. I do remember, my '02 GS skid plate was one size socket to take off. Remember the 60's and Ducati singles? One allen wrench could handle almost anything. Of course the speedo never worked right, lights where no better than a flash light but what a beautiful engine.

gpodzo

Seeking Mental Floss
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    It's not just the Germans. I replaced the water pump on the Buick I had. That the bolts that held the pump on were three diffeent sizes didn't bother me as much as half were metric and half were SAE. All of the bolts were similar in size and bolted to the same piece.
    It certainly is not just the Germans. I bought my first set of Torx to change the oil on my Road King.......and I needed four different tools to do it (one of which was an impact driver) unless I adjusted the tension on the primary drive chain.....then it was five.

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

VW Bug

Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post
    I guess i am missing the point.

I have not seen any mechanical item you can service with one tool, would be nice.

YMMV
    I could change the oil on my old VW Bug with one 10mm socket. That was if I wanted to drop the plate and clean the screen. If all I wanted to do was drain the oil then a different tool was used.

But in either case only one tool was needed. VW much be a different branch of the German engineering family tree.

And if all I want to do is change my oil in my R1200RT it only takes one allen wrench.
    Oil and filter? Add one filter wrench.