Thread: Chatterbox or Auto Com or What?

Hybrid View

professor

Question Chatterbox or Auto Com or What?

I need a helmet-to-helmet communication system that will also let me listen to my Zumo. I've heard that Auto Com is the best, but would like to hear some opinions and experiences.

What do you recommend?

Autocom works well and is reliable. There are many options for helmet speakers, earbuds, bike-to-bike, iPod etc.

http://www.topgearaccess.com/store/
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

jcridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    I need a helmet-to-helmet communication system that will also let me listen to my Zumo. I've heard that Auto Com is the best, but would like to hear some opinions and experiences.

What do you recommend?
    First thing you need to do is ask yourself what do I want now and in the near future from a comm system. If it's just rider to pillion and using just a Zumo, don't limit the field to the wired systems, there is some good wireless systems out there and most likely a few new systems or upgrades ready to be introduced before the next riding season.

We have Autocom's for our BTB system's and cannot say enough good things about them. The only want ( a need for me) is a remote volume pot so you could adjust the main volume when needed. Starcom has that feature, but Autocom's flawlessly VOX and quailty components made us go with them. There are good systems out there, find the one that works best for you based on the information you gather. If you can check out systems at a ride in breakfast or club meeting, that would be helpful in seeing how they are installed on different bikes.

Make sure you do a search here on the MOA for threads, there are many.

professor
    Thanks for the information. I figured there would already be some threads on this so I searched using "Auto Com" and "communication", but only found one post. I guess I need to learn more about effective searching.

I just purchased an AutoCom Pro Duo and really like it alot. It was pretty cheap from Kahuna cycle in Canada. I found it on Ebay for around $200 less than at my local dealer. It hooks up real easy to the bike and my Zumo. I also have the ability to hook up other devices to it as well wich is a nice option.
    I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return. Please ask me to wait.
    Any tool if used improperly can be used as a hammer.

I have been using an older Autocom (Active Pro 7)wired to a switched source. It is now on the second bike. I have it wired to the Zumo, which links to my phone vio bluetooth. I also have it hooked up to my iPod. It has been a very dependable and high quality system.

I ended up with Autocom and am very pleased. Good value/quality for the money. Works great with my Zumo.
    Went thru the Chatterbox phase and had nothing but problems, granted they were very good about warranty replacement but who needs the hassle? Audio quality on the Autocom is far superior as well.
    In this product type, you definitely get what you pay for.
    My $.02 worth.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Rally Rat
    I have a couple Chatterbox units, (FRS and GMXS)worked great the first couple times, then started having issues. One went back and was repaired under warranty, had to replace batteries on both, and the headset on one, and now they don't work again. I'm going to try the Scala Rider next. Should probably bite the bullet and get the Autocom, but like the wireless idea and have seen a number of positive comments here and elsewhere.

professor
    I just learned today that the local BMW dealer has quit handling AutoCom and is selling Scala Rider instead. He said they had some warantee problems with AutoCom. I don't know anything about the Scala Rider, but will go take a look tomorrow afternoon. I like the wireless idea too, but need more info on battery life, sound quality, options, etc.

Any Scala experience out there?

DZIMBRIC
    I have/had the autocom on GS and took it off. I found I only really needed the music and just went with an ipod and headphones. A lot less hassle.
    I had a chatterbox before I got the autocom and found it far superior to the chatterbox.

Grand Rapids BMW is stocking the Scala rider and we may go with it next year. It is supposed to have a range of 1500 yards and now that Kim has her own bike I don't think the cord style communicaiton system is desirable for bike to bike communications.

I had the phone hooked up for a while but the reason I ride is to get away from the stress stuff and the phone is one of them. I have hard enough time in the cage with a phone, sure don't need the distractions on the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    I just learned today that the local BMW dealer has quit handling AutoCom and is selling Scala Rider instead. He said they had some warantee problems with AutoCom. I don't know anything about the Scala Rider, but will go take a look tomorrow afternoon. I like the wireless idea too, but need more info on battery life, sound quality, options, etc.

Any Scala experience out there?
    Yep, been using Scala Rider headsets for almost two years. We just bought the Team Set to able to do bike to bike. Other changes are to the mic boom -- it's longer. Reception and loudness are also better. I will say that having the longer mike boom is nice for making position changes and the set is much much louder and clearer. We were happy with the performance before but the Team Set is hands down superior. We can also connect via BT to multiple devices and the built in FM is nice. The only draw back is that the battery life is only around 8 hours but the way my wife and I use them this is good for an all day ride. We then charge them at night so they're good to go the next day. Bottom line -- we are really happy with Scala Rider. The fact that there ARE NO WIRES is the cherry on top!

nrcpcola
    Have the ZUMO wired to the AUX output on the radio (K1200LT) and able to use the audio control on the LT. Autocom hard wired to radio. Sound is fine. Also added XM to ZUMO and have MP3's in the ZUMO card slot. Love to ride with tunes