Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Questions Concerning Canada

REBECCAV

Questions Concerning Canada

I'm considering going to the Lunatic Fringe Rally before Spokane. I'd be crossing the border just south of Winnipeg. I understand that I'll need a certified birth certificate and my driver's license - how long should I expect the crossing to take there? Will they actually inspect my bike?

I would be spending a lot of time on Canada's hwy 1. Can anyone advise me on the road? Is it 2 or 4 lane? What is the speed limit?

Also, as far as converting money - is it like Europe in that there are exchanges all over the place or will I have to make a stop in a larger city to exchange lots of cash all at once? How much is a gallon of gas?

Anything else I need to know?

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Passports usually work well for the border crossing.

Almost most places will accept 'Merican and pay you change in Canadian. The other thing I have done is used an ATM to take out cash in the local currency typically the fee for that is cheaper than a money changer. Worked great in Germany.

Oh yeah, I like Cuban Cigars, Cohiba Lanceros please

Of course I would never ask anyone to do anything illegal like trade with the enemy under US law by purchasing goods from Cuba.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

REBECCAV
    OK, I'm writing this down....

c-o-h-i-b-a-l-a-n-c-e-r-o-s

Will they let me back into the country? Don't get me in trouble Brad!

A passport is nice, but a driver's license and your birth certificate is enough.

ATM's are your best bet for exchanging money. And I've used credit cards for getting the most current rate, though I've read lately that they may charge a conversion fee. Depends on the company.

Border crossings are usually pleasant. Stop. Remove sunglasses. Answer questions politely and they will send you on your way - usually in a minute or less.

Don't bring your pepper spray as you'll have to turn it in. Only then have I had had my stuff searched. Probably did it since I was stopped anyway ; )

Gas is sold by the liter. Usually the same price everywhere in a town, though sometimes you can find a station that is a cent or two less. By the time you convert to gallons and US dollars, it's expensive, but everything else is a deal so it's a wash.

Canada's highway 1 is posted at 100 and even 120 in places - but that's kilometers, not miles. Most enforcement is near towns. Part is two lane and part four. You can make excellent time pacing yourself with traffic.

You can get a free insurance card from your agent here to show you have coverage and that will be helpful if you have an accident. I've always gotten it but never needed it,.

A wonderful place to travel. See you at the Lunatic Fringe ; )

Voni
    sMiling

http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Originally posted by boxergrrlie
    Will they let me back into the country? Don't get me in trouble Brad!
    Well they are considered contraband in the United States, and is illegal. However your mileage may vary.
    -=Brad

Buzzed and Belligerent gambrinus's Avatar
    Just a couple of things to add:

LEAVE YOUR GUNS AT HOME. Canadians are VERY sensitive on the gun issue. It IS possible to bring a gun in for hunting, but the paperwork nearly requires a forklift.

A Passport is still the #1 thing that the border folks want to see. A birth certificate will work, but do you really want to be carting that around with you?

cheers
    RW

Originally posted by gambrinus
    Just a couple of things to add:

LEAVE YOUR GUNS AT HOME. Canadians are VERY sensitive on the gun issue. It IS possible to bring a gun in for hunting, but the paperwork nearly requires a forklift.

A Passport is still the #1 thing that the border folks want to see. A birth certificate will work, but do you really want to be carting that around with you?

cheers
    RW
    #1 - Right on! It's like a little Great Britain to the north.

#2 - There's a copy in my tankbag always.

Your time at a crossing is based on your attitude and dumb luck. It could be a new guy, a day with an alert, the boss is watching, etc.

MarkF

Also ask the border officer: "Would you like me to take my helmet off?" Every time I crossed they have answered Yes.
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com

brooksie
    "anything else I need to know?"
    ...nope, just end all your sentences with "eh?" and you'll fit right in!

Originally posted by brooksie
    "anything else I need to know?"
    ...nope, just end all your sentences with "eh?" and you'll fit right in!
    Also that the Loonie and Toonie are 1 dollar and 2 dollar coins.
    -=Brad

Pronunciation

The proper pronunciation of Regina is not like the vacuum cleaner but it is as indicated in the pronunciation key below. If you are not sure you are pronouncing it right, ping me off list and I will give you the ÔÇ£otherÔÇØ pronunciation guide.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -=Brad

are Canadians as nice as everyone says? I talked to one guy, from somewhere in eastern Canada who says this is not true. What's the truth?

Just returned from six days in Montreal. I expected to hear some anti-American sentiments given the Iraq stuff but didn't really hear much from the locals. There were plenty of "Buck Fush" comments spraypainted around town but, in general, I found Canadians to be very friendly.

Now, I was in Montreal so they seem to have their own issues related to sovereignty and issues between French and English speaking folks so maybe that's why I didn't feel any flack about being a Yank.

It was also Euro 2004 time so having a discussion about Canadian politics while soccer/futbol was on wasn't a high priority for most folks.

My 2 cents.
    Marty Takimoto
    1999 R1100R
    BMWMOA #107071/IBA #44006
    El Cerrito, CA

Nice?

I've only visited two provences - Ontario and Quebec. I can honestly say every single person I've met in Ontario has been friendly. Most have a great, dry (very dry) sence of humor I can relate to. The other place was more like here. Some great some not so. Like previously said, Quebec has plenty of other issues with both the US and the rest of Canada.

MarkF

I have been there a few times. Have not had any problems. A few friends of mine who are Canadian have said the thing that ticks them off is when us 'Mericans forget that it is a different country. Just cause they talk English.... well you get the idea.

MMMMM Molson.
    MMMMM Cigars.
    -=Brad