Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: R1200RT aftermarket seat

innate need to improve

R1200RT aftermarket seat

I'm ready to replace the stock heated seat on my 08 R1200RT. My wife and I are tired of tailbone pain. Please tell me your experience with your seat of choice.

Corbin

I have a Corbin seat up front and a Corbin Smuggler's Trunk on the back. Seat took some getting used to at first. It is very firm and required a 1000 miles or so to break in. The Smuggler's trunk is the best thing since brakes. My wife rides her own bike and having the trunk provides room for tools etc. that are hard to find on the RT. All Corbin products are very high quality in my experience. This is my second Corbin seat.

I think you'll find that most folks will say they are happy with their aftermarket seats because they all seem to be well built. My advice is to buy one from the maker that is closest to you so you can go to the shop, see what they have to offer first-hand and have the seat fitted to your and your wife's personal tastes.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

AKBeemer gave you some good advice -- ride in for a seat if you can.

Also, use the search feature and you'll find many threads about this topic.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Another option to consider is sending your OEM seat to Spencer Mods for modification that includes replacing the original foams with better quality materials based on your weight, height and how you sit on your bike.

He is very well known in the Honda ST crowd.

I had him modify my RT seat. I would recommend trying him before investing approximately $700 on a new seat. Spencer's mods cost me $75. plus shipping and I am completely happy with his work and very quick turn around.

Here is his link http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

I've got a Bill Mayer (Rocky Mayer). I can't say enough good things about this seat. When Rocky built the seat, he was able to maintain the stock heating system, which is just a thin membrane that lays under the cover and on top of the foam.

For the rear, he built a shallow bucket with wings on the rear to provide a broader range of support. For the front, he built a bucket that is angled and placed to fit me perfectly.

I had the opportunity to ride down and have the seat fitted, which has worked out tremendously well. It took a few hours, but the results have been fantastic. We've run days of up to 700 miles two up without difficulty, thanks to the seat.

That's an RTBMR.com backrest, which is removable. We use it for camping with our gigantic Mag's Bags Ubag. We covered the top of the saddlebags with that clearmask stuff they put on the front of cars. We can carry enough stuff to camp two up comfortably now.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

innate need to improve
    Has anyone used Rick Mayer Cycle for their custom seat?

Quote Originally Posted by dockeithdc View Post
    Four times now. The latest is my '07 R1200ST, but the one with the most sMiles on it is for my '94 R1100RS. That seat went about 150k miles before a seam started to open up, and the foam was a bit sacked at that point. I made an appointment with Rick and he rebuilt it, from the pan up, including a new cover, and did it all for free. The new seat has about 50k miles on it and is doing fine.

Here's my ST:

All my previous Rick Mayer seats have been made with a basketweave vinyl cover, but this time I sprang for the leather. It's very nice and seems to be softer and fit my butt a little better than the vinyl. I only had the rider's seat built; as I ride solo, I just had the passenger seat covered to match.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

I have a heated Corbin on my R12RT. I love it. I found it comfortable from the first mile. They are very firm, but they grab a large portion of your butt and spread out the your weight. I also sold my stock seat and recovered some of the cost. I also agree that nearly any aftermarket seat will be good, and all are better than stock.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '05 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

professor
    I put a Cee Bailey seat on mine, but I'm not happy with it. It is better than stock, but still gets uncomfortable after a while. I think I should have spent more money to get a Russell. I've had two Russell seat owners tell me that they are not even aware of the seat - even after a very long ride.

I had a Corbin on my Guzzi and for me, it was better than stock and better than the Cee Bailey, but I'd still like to try a Russell one of these days. A lot probably depends on size, weight, leg length, etc. I'm sure some have been very happy with the Bailey seats.

Seeking Mental Floss
    Quote Originally Posted by dockeithdc View Post
    Yes. Very satisfied. He retained the heating element, and the quality and comfort are superior. Would do it again.
    Hugh

2008 Goldwing
    Life is a Cabernet!

Sargent Seat

Has anyone tried a Sargent seat, I ordered on for my GS and cant wait to try it.

I also have a Rick Mayer (low) heated seat in leather and am very pleased with it. As I purchased only the rider's seat, I can't comment on his passenger seat.

Prior to the Mayer, I had a low Sargent seat which was much better than stock, but not quite as comfortable over the long haul as the Mayer. Of course, everyone's posterior is different, so what works for one may not work for another.
    Tom

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by eli54 View Post
    Has anyone tried a Sargent seat, I ordered on for my GS and cant wait to try it.
    I installed a Sargent World Sport seat on my R1200RT two years ago.

Several 750 mile days from WI to Gatlinburg, TN, as well as an Iron Butt to the Gillette Rally this July has made me (and the SO) a loyal believer in this product.

I think you will be quite pleased.

Ride Safe.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.)
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer,THE REF Staff)
    Iron Butt Association Member # 34281

Quote Originally Posted by bmwswrv View Post
    Another option to consider is sending your OEM seat to Spencer Mods for modification that includes replacing the original foams with better quality materials based on your weight, height and how you sit on your bike.

He is very well known in the Honda ST crowd.

I had him modify my RT seat. I would recommend trying him before investing approximately $700 on a new seat. Spencer's mods cost me $75. plus shipping and I am completely happy with his work and very quick turn around.

Here is his link http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

Thanks for the tip. I sent him an e-mail with a few questions, like would he retain the heating of the stock seat -- yes), and he replied very promptly and thoroughly. I think I'll give him a try when I put the bike away for winter.
    Mark
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by eli54 View Post
    I have a Sargent low seat that was custom made (no welt, top-stitch only, no tri-color and symphony vinyl). I have done a couple of thousand mile days on it and it worked for me. Took a little while to break in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2005 R1200RT
    2008 Honda CBR1000RR
    1984 Kawasaki ZX750 E1 Turbo
    BMWMOA, SABMWRA, PCA