Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Netbooks on Bikes

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ylexot View Post
    You could get a PDA running Windows instead
    I can take windows on a pc, but please spare me from windows mobile.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    I've been looking at them. I am leaning toward the Acer Aspire One with the 160GB hard drive, 6 cell battery, and XP. It has wireless G, but no bluetooth. I'm thinking of using it with the GS911. Kind of lurking...maybe they'll put BT into it soon.
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

I have been using an OQO for 8+ hours a day, everyday for about the past 8 months; I love it! It's not a computer for everyone though, but it is literally the smallest full featured PC. It has 5" screen, keyboard (under the screen), 1.6ghz processor, 1gb RAM, 120GB harddrive, Wireless A/B/G, Bluetooth, and my model has an EVDO cellular modem connected through Sprint. In EVDO location I get 1.5Mbps/500Kbps connection speed; fast for wireless. It really is a great little computer that literally fits in the pocket of my work pants. I could probably fit 4 of them in the trunk of my K75.

www.oqo.com

Cost?
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    Cost?
    Well....see... that's the thing. New they're not cheap; ~$2000 (for 02 model)

but you can like-new ones on eBay for half that. I know that it may not be a realistic suggestion for most who just want a cheap netbook to take on rides and not worry about it, but it really is a great piece. Very very small, but still nice and powerful with no limitations. Again, it is a bit of a niche product, but for those that travel a lot and want the benefit of a full computer it's awesome. I'm writing this post from it at work connected via Sprint.

cmartin

eee pc

I am with Voni on the eee pc. I have a 900xp 16gb ssd that I carry on mc trips. It has garmin mapsource, so I can make or store routes, tracks, etc. Check email each night.

Its a great machine.

Wish I had the new 900HA with the 160gb harddrive and 1.6gb processor.

Quote Originally Posted by cmartin View Post
    I am with Voni on the eee pc. I have a 900xp 16gb ssd that I carry on mc trips. It has garmin mapsource, so I can make or store routes, tracks, etc. Check email each night.

Its a great machine.

Wish I had the new 900HA with the 160gb harddrive and 1.6gb processor.
    Wow, that thing looks wicked and for ~$350 I almost want to get one. I'm afraid that I would use it more than my OQO, haha.

I've carried a laptop (with hard drive) on several cross-continent rides without any technical problems. That said, I wanted something smaller and lighter, but that could run Garmin Mapsource for my GPS needs.

I finally settled on the Acer Aspire One. It runs Windows XP, has an Intel Atom 1.6 GHz processor (like many machines in this class), 1 GB RAM, a 120 GB hard drive, six-cell battery with long life, very usable 9-inch display, and above all, is very portable and lightweight. I've been impressed with it. Mapsource runs well and I've also loaded MS Office. It was also affordable: $400 CDN.
    Last edited by marcopolo; 10-29-2008 at 06:16 PM.
    Mark
    2006 R1200RT