Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 69

Thread: Uni Go Trailers Quality questions

  1. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    Posts
    17

    Uni-Go stability

    I "was" in the market for a trailer for my R1200RT and really liked the Unigo design. I checked with a dealer and found out that there are still stability issues ("about 10% wobble and we don't know why") The "fix" is that they are going to put a sticker on it recommended that you don't exceed 55 mph. That was the deal killer for me. After much more research I couldn't find anyone that didn't like their Bushtec (two wheels instead of one and can't roll it in the hotel room, but oh well) and ordered it. Should arrive soon. Hope it lives up to all the praise that it gets.

  2. #32
    Registered User MLS2GO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Village of Loch Lloyd, MO
    Posts
    718

    Other Options

    I pull a N Line with my HD. It is one wheel weighs about the same and has twice (about) the cubic capacity of a Unigo. I chose it over the Unigo. Made in Des Moines Iowa by a guy who liked the trailers and bought the company and moved it to Iowa. I know he makes hitches for HD's and Gold Wings, not sure about BMW's.

    http://www.n-line.com/

    Here's one hooked to my HD. You truly never know it is there. You can ride as twisty as you want. It tracks just where your tires go.



    YMMV
    Bob Rippy
    IBA #451
    Tour of Honor Missouri State Sponsor
    14 R1200RT (currently parked) 07 R1200RT

  3. #33
    Registered User CaptRehkopf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by j.castiglia View Post
    I "was" in the market for a trailer for my R1200RT and really liked the Unigo design. I checked with a dealer and found out that there are still stability issues ("about 10% wobble and we don't know why") The "fix" is that they are going to put a sticker on it recommended that you don't exceed 55 mph. That was the deal killer for me. After much more research I couldn't find anyone that didn't like their Bushtec (two wheels instead of one and can't roll it in the hotel room, but oh well) and ordered it. Should arrive soon. Hope it lives up to all the praise that it gets.
    I agree. I have looked at this for over a year and have determined the same thing, TWO wheels better than one.
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf

  4. #34
    Registered User tourunigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    3,305
    Quote Originally Posted by j.castiglia View Post
    I "was" in the market for a trailer for my R1200RT and really liked the Unigo design. I checked with a dealer and found out that there are still stability issues ("about 10% wobble and we don't know why") The "fix" is that they are going to put a sticker on it recommended that you don't exceed 55 mph. That was the deal killer for me. After much more research I couldn't find anyone that didn't like their Bushtec (two wheels instead of one and can't roll it in the hotel room, but oh well) and ordered it. Should arrive soon. Hope it lives up to all the praise that it gets.
    Never heard of that particular 'fix'. We used to be the Canadian distributor and there were no wobble issues. Ours has about 40,000 miles on it and never wobbled. Have run it up to 100 mph, two up with trailer loaded.... no issues. Hard braking.... not issues. Immergency avoidance.... no issues. The wobble issue has more to do with alignment and stability of the hitch. Flexing of the hitch is not a good thing for one wheel trailers. Bushtec is a great trailer of course but you cannot match the performance of a one wheel trailer with that of a two wheel rig. Different animals with their own capabilities and limitations. my .02. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

  5. #35
    Registered User CaptRehkopf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    Never heard of that particular 'fix'. We used to be the Canadian distributor and there were no wobble issues. Ours has about 40,000 miles on it and never wobbled. Have run it up to 100 mph, two up with trailer loaded.... no issues. Hard braking.... not issues. Immergency avoidance.... no issues. The wobble issue has more to do with alignment and stability of the hitch. Flexing of the hitch is not a good thing for one wheel trailers. Bushtec is a great trailer of course but you cannot match the performance of a one wheel trailer with that of a two wheel rig. Different animals with their own capabilities and limitations. my .02. - Bob
    Bob,
    I think we've talked about the Uni-Go in the past and I have been on the fence deciding whether to buy one or not. Besides all the stories I've heard it took me following a guy to firm up my decision. I was going to the Top of the Rockies Rally last year and four guys who seemed to know their way came by me pretty fast. I figured they were heading to the TOR so I spead up behind them. The last guy was on an LT pulling a Uni-Go and what I saw scared me. At speed, less than the 100 mph you mentioned the Uni-Go made the whole back end of the LT wobble from side to side. The rider didn't seem to mind but to me riding a lighter K1200RS it looked like a disaster waiting to happen. Personal observation was what made the 'rumors' of the Uni-Go problems concrete in my mind. I also thought the lighter RS would probably wobble much worse than the LT My .02 too, and of course YMMV.
    Robert
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf

  6. #36
    Registered User kgadley01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,533
    I have had several two wheel trailers. I never had any problems with handling. I also install swivel hitches on all of my trailers. the main thing I like about two wheeled trailers is the extra cargo space. but everyone likes something different. thats why they make so many different types...
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

  7. #37
    Registered User tourunigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    3,305
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptRehkopf View Post
    Bob,
    I think we've talked about the Uni-Go in the past and I have been on the fence deciding whether to buy one or not. Besides all the stories I've heard it took me following a guy to firm up my decision. I was going to the Top of the Rockies Rally last year and four guys who seemed to know their way came by me pretty fast. I figured they were heading to the TOR so I spead up behind them. The last guy was on an LT pulling a Uni-Go and what I saw scared me. At speed, less than the 100 mph you mentioned the Uni-Go made the whole back end of the LT wobble from side to side. The rider didn't seem to mind but to me riding a lighter K1200RS it looked like a disaster waiting to happen. Personal observation was what made the 'rumors' of the Uni-Go problems concrete in my mind. I also thought the lighter RS would probably wobble much worse than the LT My .02 too, and of course YMMV.
    Robert
    I have heard of this tendency on a few bikes with Uni-Go. Mostly I have heard though that by stiffening the hitch and realigning made most of it go away. One more central point though is how it is loaded. I made the mistake once of loading the trailer significantly but having no distribution of weight to the bike and riding solo. Handling really sucked and the back of the bike was compromised. So, I stopped and spread the weight as if it was a seven foot motorcycle and it was a real champ after that. If that LT was wiggling around like that I would say that (if not the hitch) weight distribution was way off. I still believe that the trailer itself is sound but attention to alignment, hitch quality (for twisting forces) and weight distribution/balance is critical. Odd that the rider you mentioned seemed to accept this as normal bike behavior - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

  8. #38
    Registered User tourunigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    3,305
    Quote Originally Posted by kgadley01 View Post
    I have had several two wheel trailers. I never had any problems with handling. I also install swivel hitches on all of my trailers. the main thing I like about two wheeled trailers is the extra cargo space. but everyone likes something different. thats why they make so many different types...

    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

  9. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula
    Posts
    262

    pull behind trailers

    Well, I thought that I had my mind made up as the unigo trailer looks clean but these stories scare me. I have also been looking at the bushtec. I have not heard of any issues with any of them. So I guess that now I am leaning towards bushtec. I love this forum. There is so much experience out there. Keep the comments going. Any other trailers out there the quality of bushtec that trailer like a dream with no issues?

  10. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Somers, NY
    Posts
    540

    hate to burst your bubble

    but i have personally followed bushtech trailers down the road, and watched them swing so badly that i was scared out of my mind. To the point that i passed him, because i didn't want to be anywhere near him when he crashed.....

    now i have also pulled RV trailers, and the proper hitch and weight distribution do make a difference with almost all trailers... although not as much with ones this long!!
    Somers, NY

    Just enjoying the ride.......

  11. #41
    Registered User tourunigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    3,305
    Quote Originally Posted by sdpc2 View Post
    but i have personally followed bushtech trailers down the road, and watched them swing so badly that i was scared out of my mind. To the point that i passed him, because i didn't want to be anywhere near him when he crashed.....

    now i have also pulled RV trailers, and the proper hitch and weight distribution do make a difference with almost all trailers... although not as much with ones this long!!
    Weight distribution is always a key concern for any tour. In 2008 we ran our Uni-Go at 100 mph in Nevada. Never had problems. And if you think that a Bushtec can catch us through the twisties of Penn. ...... (ask Statdawg)... I like Bushtec but it has performance limitations as well. Uni-Go is an excellent concept for sport touring and we'll stay with ours for the foreseeable future. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

  12. #42
    Registered User mneblett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    1,729
    Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    Weight distribution is always a key concern for any tour. In 2008 we ran our Uni-Go at 100 mph in Nevada.
    Resurrecting an old thread because it is precisely on point -- a couple further questions please, Bob?

    Setting the scene:

    K1600GTL with new-to-me 2007 Uni-Go whose owner towed it for many K's of miles with no issues.

    New DMC Sidecars/Dauntless receiver hitch, with receiver bar for the Uni-Go plate:





    Air pressure in Uni-Go tire set to 26.5 psi (26 psi on swingarm sticker)

    [EDIT]: I noticed the pic shows the hitch at the lowest of its 3 postions -- I actually towed with it in the highest position (less bar sticking below the fender flap -- don't know if that would make a difference).

    I've pulled Bushtec Quantum, but this is my first single-track trailer.



    My first test ride with the trailer, with about 55lb of ballast in the trailer (long bag with camping gear, nose down in front of trailer/tail of bag up by lid latch); result:

    Big wobble (fishtailing? couldn't see it in the mirrors) above ~55-60 mph.

    On return to my garage, I realized that I forgot to tighten the thumbscrew in the side of the hitch plate, so I need to take another test ride.

    In the meantime, a couple Qs:

    Could the wobble have been caused just by the loose thumbscrew?

    Regarding your weight distribution comment above, I understand your comment about spreading the load, shared with the bike; my question: Is there a preferred weight distribution pattern for inside the trailer itself?

    Thanks!
    Mark
    Last edited by mneblett; 12-15-2011 at 12:27 AM.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA
    #32806

  13. #43
    Registered User CaptRehkopf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    300
    Mark,
    I would be very weary about using a non-UniGo hitch because one wheel trailer sway stresses are completely different than two wheeled trailers. Using a hitch made for two wheel trailers does not provide the correct towing needed for one wheel trailers. Think about it, a two wheel trailer just needs to be pulled whereas a one wheel trailer needs lateral support!
    Ask the manufactures for their advice.
    Ride Safe,
    Robert



    Quote Originally Posted by mneblett View Post
    Resurrecting an old thread because it is precisely on point -- a couple further questions please, Bob?

    Setting the scene:

    K1600GTL with new-to-me 2007 Uni-Go whose owner towed it for many K's of miles with no issues.

    New DMC Sidecars/Dauntless receiver hitch, with receiver bar for the Uni-Go plate:





    Air pressure in Uni-Go tire set to 26.5 psi (26 psi on swingarm sticker)

    [EDIT]: I noticed the pic shows the hitch at the lowest of its 3 postions -- I actually towed with it in the highest position (less bar sticking below the fender flap -- don't know if that would make a difference).

    I've pulled Bushtec Qunatum, but this is my first single-track trailer.



    My first test ride with the trailer, with about 55lb of ballast in the trailer (long bag with camping gear, nose down in front of trailer tail of bag up by lid latch); result:

    Big wobble (fishtailing? couldn't see it in the mirrors) above ~55-60 mph.

    On return to my garage, I realized that I forgot to tighten the thumbscrew in the side of the hitch plate, so I need to take another test ride.

    In the meantime, a couple Qs:

    Could the wobble have been caused just by the loose thumbscrew?

    Regarding your weight distribution comment above, I understand your comment about spreading the load, shared with the bike; my question: Is there a preferred weight distribution pattern for inside the trailer itself?

    Thanks!
    Mark
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf

  14. #44
    Pepperfool GSAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sechelt, British Columbia
    Posts
    1,307
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptRehkopf View Post
    Mark,
    I would be very weary about using a non-UniGo hitch because one wheel trailer sway stresses are completely different than two wheeled trailers. Using a hitch made for two wheel trailers does not provide the correct towing needed for one wheel trailers. Think about it, a two wheel trailer just needs to be pulled whereas a one wheel trailer needs lateral support!
    Ask the manufactures for their advice.
    Ride Safe,
    Robert
    I agree, just looking at that setup makes me nervous. There is a lot of twisting force exerted on that forward tube. It is substantially smaller than the Unigo counterpart. Lateral support is also mandatory - a quick review of Unigo hitches will show that.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

    It's all about the details.

  15. #45
    Registered User tourunigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    3,305
    Quick Response: 1) cinch screw should be tight and 2) most importantly and as pointed out by others, that hitch WILL flex considerably. That would be most likely lead to some sort of 'wardrobe malfunction'. The alignment of the trailer will be shifting according to the changing angles of bike and trailer. (read wobble) The two must remain at the same angle of alignment. However, try that cinch pin and see if you notice any difference but my suspicion is that the change will be moderate. BTW, any more than 65 lbs in the trailer seems a bit much. A combined weight (bike and trailer) is about 130 lbs with 30lbs on the hitch. I also suggest that you not have a loaded trailer with an unloaded bike. I got a wobble that way set off by a blast by a passing tractor trailer.

    I showed your hitch to Mary and she said "Holy Jesus!". I take from that that she concurred with my assessment. Be careful. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •