Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 69

Thread: Uni Go Trailers Quality questions

  1. #16
    Pepperfool GSAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sechelt, British Columbia
    Posts
    1,322
    I own a 2001 Unigo made in New Zealand.

    2 issues I wish could be fixed.

    1) High speed wobble over 75 mph (an issue when passing)
    2) Hitch rubs on the rear fender of my 1150 GS leaving a unsightly scuff (cosmetic issue). I was told the new hitches don't do this and for another $400.......

    Other than that I love the product. Never had a bearing problem over 20,000 miles (regreased at 15,000) and I do carry spares ($6.00 ea) just in case. The tire is still original showing very little wear. My wife is a passenger only and all our camping gear fits neatly inside - 3 man Eureka tent, Queen size inflatable bed, camp stove, pot set, dishes, rum, towels, axe, kindling etc.
    Without this little gem there is no way we could do our trips. It is slightly heavy on low speed maneuvers and you must have good footing when coming to a stop. Once moving you hardly know it's behind you and carving the twisties is no problem at all, the only difference is that the machine is very slightly slower to respond steering. The trailer tracks perfectly.
    Never had any problems with loading (keep the heavy stuff down low) and have ridden home for short distances overloaded with apples, duty free booze etc. although the suspension will bottom if hitting a speed bump too quickly fully loaded. We have even done short runs on gravel roads to remote campsites with no problems. An important thing to remember is to plan the escape upon arrival as backing the thing up can be difficult.
    As the owner of an custom electrical manufacturing company I take great pride in the quality of my product and this trailer meets my standards. I have had it completely apart to repaint from blue to black (bought used at 3000 miles) and was impressed with the attention to little details as well as the quality of the hinges. Not the cheapest m/c trailer on the market but if ever anything happened to this one I would buy another in a heartbeat.

    Update Jan 2011: I have been experimenting with a custom hitch damper that has significantly reduced the high speed wobble.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by GSAddict; 01-10-2011 at 03:03 AM.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

    It's all about the details.

  2. #17
    Registered User tourunigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    3,308
    Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    I own a 2001 Unigo made in New Zealand.

    2 issues I wish could be fixed.

    1) High speed wobble over 75 mph (an issue when passing)
    2) Hitch rubs on the rear fender of my 1150 GS leaving a unsightly scuff (cosmetic issue). I was told the new hitches don't do this and for another $400.......

    Other than that I love the product. Never had a bearing problem over 20,000 miles (regreased at 15,000) and I do carry spares ($6.00 ea) just in case. The tire is still original showing very little wear. My wife is a passenger only and all our camping gear fits neatly inside - 3 man Eureka tent, Queen size inflatable bed, camp stove, pot set, dishes, rum, towels, axe, kindling etc.
    Without this little gem there is no way we could do our trips. It is slightly heavy on low speed maneuvers and you must have good footing when coming to a stop. Once moving you hardly know it's behind you and carving the twisties is no problem at all, the only difference is that the machine is very slightly slower to respond steering. The trailer tracks perfectly.
    Never had any problems with loading (keep the heavy stuff down low) and have ridden home for short distances overloaded with apples, duty free booze etc. although the suspension will bottom if hitting a speed bump too quickly fully loaded. We have even done short runs on gravel roads to remote campsites with no problems. An important thing to remember is to plan the escape upon arrival as backing the thing up can be difficult.
    As the owner of an custom electrical manufacturing company I take great pride in the quality of my product and this trailer meets my standards. I have had it completely apart to repaint from blue to black (bought used at 3000 miles) and was impressed with the attention to little details as well as the quality of the hinges. Not the cheapest m/c trailer on the market but if ever anything happened to this one I would buy another in a heartbeat.
    Our experience as well. Points: Longer bump stop in spring will help trailer bump (I just sqeezed a small piece of like material in and that cured it. Just over 20,000 miles that way an no issue; regreased bearings? You don't use sealed? Metal sided are best; wobble should never happen. First check and see if you have a bolt on your hitch that snugs up the U-Joint connection. Secondly. be sure that the alignment of trailer and bike is as exact as you can make it and third, be sure that the wheel is snug at 30 ft lbs and has no side play. Wobble Not Good!; Finish Quality we have seen some very poor ones stateside but, as I said before, that may have all changed

    Anyway, glad to see your endorsement of the two-up advantage. BTW ..... how do like making those slow speed U turns two up and loaded? Takes a bit of practice eh? -Bob (one more point: if the U joint has a grease nipple NEVER grease it. That joint should be very stiff to move by hand. Think wobble.)
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

  3. #18
    Registered User tourunigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    3,308
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptRehkopf View Post
    Hello Robert, We don't give out any customer info (Privacy Laws). The internet is a great source of information but it tends to mislead people very easily. We are aware of a number of early problems like wobble, bearing failures, leaking and fender wearing. These problems, most of which occured nearly 5 years ago when the trailers were made in New Zealand, were adddressed long before we even bought the company and moved it to the US. There are also a number of debates raging on the internet about wheel alignment and uneven tire wear. The wheel is at a 6 degree tilt to drive the trailer to one side as it travels down the road, this prevents the "swimming" effect that can cause wobbling. Several customers have attempted to "fix" this "mialignment problem" and created poor handling characteristics with their re-engineering. We have only had 2 warranty issues this year out of 496 trailers. We also support and maintain parts for all of the models manufactured by the previous manufacturer.
    Regards, Mark Huffman

    Best description of the problems I have heard yet. I will talk to Mark and ask when the problems were corrected so a used trailer maybe an option.
    Mark is the true expert on this one. However, our trailer is NZ, two friends have NZ trailers and all manufactured at different times. All have been over 100 mph and gone long distance (ours has over 40,000 miles and the other two around 20,000) and none of these trailer wobble or have unusual tire wear. Lucky? The difficulty in finding a used one speaks well for this little trailer.

    Best thing to do is just take comments as comments and see for yourself what production in the past few months has been like. I do know that the mechanical interity of the trailer has been improved by the current manufacturer. With 496 sold you would think that finding owners for comments would be an easy thing. -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

  4. #19
    Registered User CaptRehkopf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    305

    UNI-GO Trailer

    I very much appreciate Mark's comments and it helps me in my decision making. I would like to hear from more of the recent buyers. To tell the truth 40,000 miles isn't a true test and 20,000 isn't a consideration in my mind of longevity at all. I did 15,000 miles when I did the 4CORNERS & IBA NPT and 9,400 miles on my trip this summer. I do a 6-8K mile trip each year mostly on seconday roads and by myself.
    The key is the trailer CANNOT strand me anywhere, period! I don't mind having to preform regularly scheduled maintenance but it simply just can't break down on me on the road, no excuses!
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf

  5. #20
    Pepperfool GSAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sechelt, British Columbia
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    Our experience as well. Points: Longer bump stop in spring will help trailer bump (I just sqeezed a small piece of like material in and that cured it. Just over 20,000 miles that way an no issue; regreased bearings? You don't use sealed? Metal sided are best; wobble should never happen. First check and see if you have a bolt on your hitch that snugs up the U-Joint connection. Secondly. be sure that the alignment of trailer and bike is as exact as you can make it and third, be sure that the wheel is snug at 30 ft lbs and has no side play. Wobble Not Good!; Finish Quality we have seen some very poor ones stateside but, as I said before, that may have all changed

    Anyway, glad to see your endorsement of the two-up advantage. BTW ..... how do like making those slow speed U turns two up and loaded? Takes a bit of practice eh? -Bob (one more point: if the U joint has a grease nipple NEVER grease it. That joint should be very stiff to move by hand. Think wobble.)
    - Longer bump stop noted
    - Old trick - sealed bearings are regreasable, carefully pry of rubber or metal seals, wash, dry, repack and push seals back on. Just about any sealed bearing can be done this way.
    - Went thru all the remedies you describe with NZ with no fix. I am aware that the joint is not to be greased as it has no needles (replaced by nylon bushings)
    - Slow speed U turns loaded 2 up = practice + courage
    '
    Ufda happens..........

    It's all about the details.

  6. #21
    Registered User tourunigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    3,308
    Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    - Longer bump stop noted
    - Old trick - sealed bearings are regreasable, carefully pry of rubber or metal seals, wash, dry, repack and push seals back on. Just about any sealed bearing can be done this way.
    - Went thru all the remedies you describe with NZ with no fix. I am aware that the joint is not to be greased as it has no needles (replaced by nylon bushings)
    - Slow speed U turns loaded 2 up = practice + courage
    Thanks for the tip about the bearings. Longer bump stop limits some travel of course. What I used was a tapered hard rubber plug that you might use to cap a container. Cut a piece out about the inside diameter of the spring and about a 1/2 inch thick. Lubricate and fight with it a bit until you can squeeze it in. Take apart if you like though. Seems to work. Or order a longer one from Schoolhouse.

    That wobble has a source. If nothing loose then usually traced to some alignment issue. If you have not talked with Mark at Schoolhouse then you might want to. Another thought. I did have our trailer take on a life of it's own once. Buffeting from truck on highway curve. What I did wrong: loaded the trailer with all the gear but none on the bike. Riding solo. Never had an issue when weight distributed over bike and trailer while two up. Another thought, is your hitch flexing at all? I had a welder reinforce the sides of the lower hitch member just behind the rear pegs (had a rust issue in a poor weld seam). Absolutely no give in the hitch. Knew another guy who did the same because of wobble and it was cured. Maybe just luck or some realignment during assembly but it worked. -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

  7. #22
    Registered User CaptRehkopf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    305

    Question UniGo NZ trailer problems customer service question

    Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    - Went thru all the remedies you describe with NZ with no fix.
    Hi,
    Does that mean your trailer still has problems and you can't find anybody to fix it? Have you contacted the US distributor? If so, have they been any help in servicing the NZ model customers?
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf

  8. #23
    Pepperfool GSAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sechelt, British Columbia
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    Thanks for the tip about the bearings. Longer bump stop limits some travel of course. What I used was a tapered hard rubber plug that you might use to cap a container. Cut a piece out about the inside diameter of the spring and about a 1/2 inch thick. Lubricate and fight with it a bit until you can squeeze it in. Take apart if you like though. Seems to work. Or order a longer one from Schoolhouse.

    That wobble has a source. If nothing loose then usually traced to some alignment issue. If you have not talked with Mark at Schoolhouse then you might want to. Another thought. I did have our trailer take on a life of it's own once. Buffeting from truck on highway curve. What I did wrong: loaded the trailer with all the gear but none on the bike. Riding solo. Never had an issue when weight distributed over bike and trailer while two up. Another thought, is your hitch flexing at all? I had a welder reinforce the sides of the lower hitch member just behind the rear pegs (had a rust issue in a poor weld seam). Absolutely no give in the hitch. Knew another guy who did the same because of wobble and it was cured. Maybe just luck or some realignment during assembly but it worked. -Bob
    Thanks for the tips. I was told that some GS's had this problem and the solution was a upgraded heavier hitch if I was willing to throw another $400 + shipping at it. I wasn't. You are right though...buffeting from big trucks sets it off.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

    It's all about the details.

  9. #24
    Pepperfool GSAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sechelt, British Columbia
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptRehkopf View Post
    Hi,
    Does that mean your trailer still has problems and you can't find anybody to fix it? Have you contacted the US distributor? If so, have they been any help in servicing the NZ model customers?
    I put a lot of effort in this 5 years ago and have learned to live with it as it ended with replacing the hitch which I was not prepared to do at full cost. I will mention that Chris would not guarantee that the hitch would solve the problem for sure. I did contact the US distributor a while ago and whoever I talked to there claimed not to know anything about a High Speed Wobble.
    Meanwhile I really watch my speed when passing.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

    It's all about the details.

  10. #25
    Registered User tourunigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    3,308
    Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I was told that some GS's had this problem and the solution was a upgraded heavier hitch if I was willing to throw another $400 + shipping at it. I wasn't. You are right though...buffeting from big trucks sets it off.
    Likely a dumb question but you do have a cinching bolt on the right side of the receiver? Also, in looking at the picture of your bike I just wonder if there really is enough lateral support to deal with the twisting forces of the trailer. This twisting force is why most after market hitches do not work well (Bushtec is an exception) because they primarily cater to the two wheel trailer market.

    Funny how you got that response from the manufacturer Re: wobble. -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

  11. #26
    Pepperfool GSAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sechelt, British Columbia
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    Likely a dumb question but you do have a cinching bolt on the right side of the receiver? Also, in looking at the picture of your bike I just wonder if there really is enough lateral support to deal with the twisting forces of the trailer. This twisting force is why most after market hitches do not work well (Bushtec is an exception) because they primarily cater to the two wheel trailer market.

    Funny how you got that response from the manufacturer Re: wobble. -Bob
    Cinch bolt tight for sure. As far as lateral support goes - good point but this is an original UniGo hitch, one would think that would/should have been taken in account by the manufacturer. As far as the US response goes; I felt like the person was not interested in my problem as I had not bought it from them and they were not interested in inheriting any NZ problems.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

    It's all about the details.

  12. #27
    Registered User ORCHARDRT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Nashville, IN Brown County
    Posts
    84

    Unigo

    I'll restart this thread to give a glimpse of my experience.

    I have an older Unigo and it has the dreaded 75 mph wobble. I worked the cinch bolt, checked alignment the best I can. Last fall I took the wheel off for inspection and found the wheel badly cupped. A new tire is on order from Schoolhouse. I'll double check the bearings when I do the tire. I hope I can find someone to do a good balance job. Mark says I need a 12mm bolt for a dummy axle for balancing rollers. I hope the wobble is gone. Also, I have the tire rubbing the wheel well. I bet Mark will have a solution.

    At Devils tower, returning from Gillette, I had to stop and clean my shorts after hitting a bad tar snake, on a 60mph curve, with the trailer.

    I like the trailer as it keeps every thing off the rear seat. On an '04 RT, that is important. I hate high weight.

    Ben
    I gave my AIG bonus back.

  13. #28
    Pepperfool GSAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sechelt, British Columbia
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by OrchardRT View Post
    I'll restart this thread to give a glimpse of my experience.

    I have an older Unigo and it has the dreaded 75 mph wobble. I worked the cinch bolt, checked alignment the best I can. Last fall I took the wheel off for inspection and found the wheel badly cupped. A new tire is on order from Schoolhouse. I'll double check the bearings when I do the tire. I hope I can find someone to do a good balance job. Mark says I need a 12mm bolt for a dummy axle for balancing rollers. I hope the wobble is gone. Also, I have the tire rubbing the wheel well. I bet Mark will have a solution.

    At Devils tower, returning from Gillette, I had to stop and clean my shorts after hitting a bad tar snake, on a 60mph curve, with the trailer.

    I like the trailer as it keeps every thing off the rear seat. On an '04 RT, that is important. I hate high weight.

    Ben
    I gave my AIG bonus back.
    My tire has no cupping and is in perfect shape. The assembly is statically balanced and still wobbles at 75.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

    It's all about the details.

  14. #29
    Registered User CaptRehkopf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    305

    Uni-Go Trailer question

    Quote Originally Posted by OrchardRT View Post
    I'll restart this thread to give a glimpse of my experience.

    I have an older Unigo and it has the dreaded 75 mph wobble. I worked the cinch bolt, checked alignment the best I can. Last fall I took the wheel off for inspection and found the wheel badly cupped. A new tire is on order from Schoolhouse. I'll double check the bearings when I do the tire. I hope I can find someone to do a good balance job. Mark says I need a 12mm bolt for a dummy axle for balancing rollers. I hope the wobble is gone. Also, I have the tire rubbing the wheel well. I bet Mark will have a solution.

    At Devils tower, returning from Gillette, I had to stop and clean my shorts after hitting a bad tar snake, on a 60mph curve, with the trailer.

    I like the trailer as it keeps every thing off the rear seat. On an '04 RT, that is important. I hate high weight.

    Ben
    I gave my AIG bonus back.
    I had talked to Mark and convinced myself that everything is alright with the Uni-Go Trailers and then Dave Hansen told me about the horror stories regarding his NZ model. It has every problem ever mentioned. Evidently the manufacturing problems were systematic and not simply a few trailers.
    I ask again, please reply offline to CaptRehkopf@comcast.net, what are the American manufacture trailers reliability, etc.?
    I need a trailer for this summer and I'm afraid to committ to a Uni-Go.
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf

  15. #30
    Registered User tourunigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    3,308
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptRehkopf View Post
    I had talked to Mark and convinced myself that everything is alright with the Uni-Go Trailers and then Dave Hansen told me about the horror stories regarding his NZ model. It has every problem ever mentioned. Evidently the manufacturing problems were systematic and not simply a few trailers.
    I ask again, please reply offline to CaptRehkopf@comcast.net, what are the American manufacture trailers reliability, etc.?
    I need a trailer for this summer and I'm afraid to committ to a Uni-Go.
    I don't mean to take away from your PM message but I do think that if anyone has any info regarding current status then it would be appreciated. We have a NZ model with about 40,000 miles now I think. Have run it just over 100 mph two up and all the gear. No issues. Friends have the same and no issues. There were some periods of time though when QC was somewhat slack. Anyway, I would be interested in hearing what some others have found. -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •