Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 61 to 69 of 69

Thread: Uni Go Trailers Quality questions

  1. #61
    aka Johnny Hammerlane bullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Kawartha Lakes, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    731
    Thanks for the reply, Cehlbeck. Please let me know how things work out.
    I'm curious about the cost of new and how it handles etc.

    MNeblett: thanks also for the reply. So, in your opinion the Bushtec handles more smoothly/no waggling issues? How about cost? I presume the Unigo is a bit less expensive? And a wobble/waggle at 70+mph is acceptable? Does that occur all the time or only under certain conditions eg: weight loading or passing/following large trucks?

    As a side note, I'm thinking that if it keeps me under 70+mph it's likely a good thing
    (I do tend to push my luck a fair bit speed-wise)
    It's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it.

  2. #62
    Registered User mneblett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    1,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    So, in your opinion the Bushtec handles more smoothly/no waggling issues? How about cost? I presume the Unigo is a bit less expensive? And a wobble/waggle at 70+mph is acceptable? Does that occur all the time or only under certain conditions eg: weight loading or passing/following large trucks?
    The Bushtec is a smoother-following trailer -- longer neck, air-adjustable suspension with far more travel/ability to absorb road shocks, large-diameter, well-separated wheels, and a hitch arrangement which does not transfer "tip-over" torques from the trailer to the bike = an inherently more stable platform.

    A few years ago, my Bushtec Quantum was over $4k; the Uni-Go is, what, 1/2 that? Not sure, as I purchased mine used.

    The small amount of trailer movement at 70+ is, for me, acceptable. At first a bit disconcerting, but by now I'm fairly comfortable, as it appears to be adequately self-damping (i.e., I don't "stiff-arm" the handlebars, and let the bike's head wag a tiny bit without feeling the wobble is heading of "out of control"). Again, more weight in the trailer tends to reduce the amount of wagging.

    And yes, the wagging must be "induced" by something like a significant pavement irregularity or a pulsing wind from a truck -- the trailer is not inherently unstable.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA
    #32806

  3. #63
    aka Johnny Hammerlane bullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Kawartha Lakes, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    731
    Those are excellent reasons to go with a 2-wheel trailer. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your input.
    It's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it.

  4. #64
    Pepperfool GSAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sechelt, British Columbia
    Posts
    1,130
    Quote Originally Posted by mneblett View Post
    The Bushtec is a smoother-following trailer -- longer neck, air-adjustable suspension with far more travel/ability to absorb road shocks, large-diameter, well-separated wheels, and a hitch arrangement which does not transfer "tip-over" torques from the trailer to the bike = an inherently more stable platform.

    A few years ago, my Bushtec Quantum was over $4k; the Uni-Go is, what, 1/2 that? Not sure, as I purchased mine used.

    The small amount of trailer movement at 70+ is, for me, acceptable. At first a bit disconcerting, but by now I'm fairly comfortable, as it appears to be adequately self-damping (i.e., I don't "stiff-arm" the handlebars, and let the bike's head wag a tiny bit without feeling the wobble is heading of "out of control"). Again, more weight in the trailer tends to reduce the amount of wagging.

    And yes, the wagging must be "induced" by something like a significant pavement irregularity or a pulsing wind from a truck -- the trailer is not inherently unstable.
    Agreed on your comments re Unigo. I designed an adjustable damper for mine that greatly reduced the tendency to wag. Staying under 80 mph also helps
    '
    Ufda happens..........

    It's all about the details.

  5. #65
    Registered User mneblett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    1,729
    Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    I designed an adjustable damper for mine that greatly reduced the tendency to wag.
    Interesting -- any pics?
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA
    #32806

  6. #66
    Pepperfool GSAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sechelt, British Columbia
    Posts
    1,130
    Quote Originally Posted by mneblett View Post
    Interesting -- any pics?
    '
    Ufda happens..........

    It's all about the details.

  7. #67
    aka Johnny Hammerlane bullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Kawartha Lakes, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    731
    Genius!!!
    It's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it.

  8. #68
    Registered User awagnon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Ogden, Utah
    Posts
    424

    Uni-go trailers again

    I'd like to bump this thread. It's been a year since anyone posted and I never saw an answer about the "newer" Uni-go trailers and whether they perform better. I'm very seriously looking at buying one. I'd rather buy used, but I'd pay extra for a new one if they have been significantly improved. Any new Uni-go owners out there pulling one behind either a 1200RT or an 1150GS? I really don't need the extra space of a larger, two wheel trailer. Any updated information would be appreciated. Also, is the Bushtec hitch better or worse than the DMC hitch? -Al
    Al - Ogden, Utah
    Boxer bikes, boxer dogs, and letterboxing.
    2004 1150GS
    2006 Boxer dog (Paisley)

  9. #69
    Registered User tourunigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    3,282
    Quote Originally Posted by awagnon View Post
    I'd like to bump this thread. It's been a year since anyone posted and I never saw an answer about the "newer" Uni-go trailers and whether they perform better. I'm very seriously looking at buying one. I'd rather buy used, but I'd pay extra for a new one if they have been significantly improved. Any new Uni-go owners out there pulling one behind either a 1200RT or an 1150GS? I really don't need the extra space of a larger, two wheel trailer. Any updated information would be appreciated. Also, is the Bushtec hitch better or worse than the DMC hitch? -Al
    As well, I would be interested in any update regarding the Uni-Go production. Maybe someone in Jacksonville area would just ride over and take a look? - Bob (ex distributor for Uni-Go in Canada)
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •