Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quiet Helmets

On the Road

Quiet Helmets

Is there anyone here who has years of riding and owned several helmets that can suggest a very quiet helmet? I have been on the search and due to limited funds can't review them all myself. I have had modular HJC and full faced HJC Shoei and am thinking about trying a Schuberth, but read mixed reviews. Any help would be appreciated.

RK Ryder
    My Shoei RF 1000 is much quieter than my flip Schubert. My Scorpion EXO 1000 Apollo is quieter than the Schubert or the Shoei.

The Scorpion is not dead quiet, but the wind noise is far less objectionable than the Shoei.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

On the Road
    Thanks, I will check it out

Question

Is Schuberth distributing again in the US?
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

On the Road
    No, but there are some Schuberth closeouts online. BTW, I checked out the Scorpion reviews and I'm more confused now than ever. I guess different head shapes have most to do with everything

On the Road
    Does anyone know anything about the Caberg

I have a Nolan flip-up and the Scorpion 1000. I'd have a hard time telling you either one is quieter than the other. I've recently started wearing Big Ear custom made ear plugs, and THAT'S what makes a big difference.
    Dan

Maniacal Engineer

HJC CL-SP gets my vote

I found a review on Web Bike World that impressed me:
    http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...met/hjc/cl-sp/

So I bought 2 helmets for my wife and myself. $126 (IIRC) from Newenough.com

I was using an Arai Vector that cost nearly $400. I thought it was noisy and I wasn't happy with the amount of peripheral vision.

The HJC (at 1/3 the price) has a simple visor latching system, and (for me) a less-restricted view out the sides.

Quote Originally Posted by brianhinton View Post
    The dealer by me who sold them told me that they are not importing them to the US at this time. I need a replacement visor for mine. I've had it sence the Lima Rally and would buy another one in a heart beat. The new Nolan looks OK, but is too heavy. I may try the Jiano next, but I'm going to wait until next spring and check out a few other options.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

I don't think they're imported anymore. I found by sheer luck last year and bought it.
    Not as quiet as some but not bad. Good quality, very comfy, internal sunshield has me
    spoiled rotten. Never own another helmet without one.

ben721364
    Is there anyone here who has years of riding and owned several helmets that can suggest a very quiet helmet? I have been on the search and due to limited funds can't review them all myself. I have had modular HJC and full faced HJC Shoei and am thinking about trying a Schuberth, but read mixed reviews. Any help would be appreciated.
    Helmet noise is a very personal thing. I believe it depends on the individual and that what might be noisy to me might be dead quiet to someone else. Head shapes, etc., etc. vary widely as do the shapes and thickness of pads.

Quote Originally Posted by ben721364 View Post
    Helmet noise is a very personal thing. I believe it depends on the individual and that what might be noisy to me might be dead quiet to someone else. Head shapes, etc., etc. vary widely as do the shapes and thickness of pads.
    My Nolan is a LOT quieter when I'm wearing my 'stitch wind triangle, so evidently a lot of the noise is from the wind along the bottom of the helmet. I've always heard that flip-up helmets are noisier than full-face ones. Since I wear glasses and like the convenience of the flip-ups, I'll put up with the noise and wear earplugs.
    '12 K1600 GT

What is it you intend to do with your one wild and precious life? - Mary Oliver

RK Ryder
    I was fortunate with the two dealers from whom I purchased the Shoei & Scorpion helmets. One, because they knew me, let me take the Shoei for a ride with no deposit. The Scorpion dealer asked for a credit card to be left as collateral and permitted me to test ride the helmet. Besides being quiet, it has the drop down sun visor.

I was really disappointed with my first helmet that it was so noisy and so expensive. That's why I test rode the next two. Of course, all helmets do require ear plugs, no matter how quiet they may be.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Resign yourself...

...to wearing earplugs. That's what I did, and I'm much happier and enjoy my riding much more since doing so.

My Nolan N100E was noisy. It was 6 years old, and had taken a nasty bump on the highway, so I replaced it with an HJC CL15. The HJC is a tad quieter than the Nolan, but still noisy enough to cause hearing issues. The HJC was never really meant to be my "forever" helmet or helmet brand, it was just a good deal at a time when I needed one. Both the Nolan and the HJC fit my noggin perfectly.

I've come to the conclusion that helmet fit and features such as venting, shield function and replacement are more important than noise. You can take care of the noise with ear plugs. Let helmet fit and features be the primary reasons for your choice.

Both of my daughters wear Scorpion helmets. They bought them because of the way the helmet fits their heads and overall comfort. My youngest rode home from her job a couple of weeks ago, approximately 25 miles across the city on a freeway and complained of the noise. I just said, "Yup, let me show you how to put in these earplugs."

You can usually find good deals on helmets online, but you don't get a chance to try them on. That's a risk you take. My daughers and my wife all purchased their helmets from a local dealer. They went in, got some great assistance from the sales folks, and purchased it from the dealer. It cost a few dollars more, but at least they knew exactly what they were getting, and didn't mind paying extra for the service.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

The Schuberth C3 is much quieter than the Concept (C1) I had quieter even than my Arai RX-7 Corsair.

The C3 visor is no longer held on by external discs.

Schuberth visors are 49 Euro and I can ship APO

Chris