Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Your view on airbags?

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    After reading the following, would you consider an airbag as an option?
    Just like ABS, I wouldn't buy a motorcycle with an airbag. My choice...that simple!

Picture of Wing Airbag deployed.......

If it was mine I'd ride deployed all the time..........
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    I think it's a great idea, and like ABS, it doesn't do anything until you need it.
    ABS does stuff whenever I don't need it all the friggin' time and has on every ABS equipped bike I've ridden. It apparently wasn't designed for rough roads - as you'd find in many cities. As soon as you catch a hint of air (e.g. skimming over some potholes), it releases the brakes. My next bike will *not* have ABS. I pretty much hate it - extra weight, another gadget to fail, another thing to service, and in many many miles, it has only ever activated when I didn't want it to. And I'm not too hard on the brakes (it never activates on smooth pavement). In all the times I've fallen down or come close, ABS wouldn't have done squat. IMHO, it's over-hyped by BMW, but then BMW is the maker of "gadget bikes".

As to the airbag, at some point I'll just drive a car.

RandallIsland
    ...would you consider an airbag as an option?
    We broke up.
    She lives alone.

My understanding of airbags is that you must combine them with restraint belt usage or they will break your neck from the combination of your bodies forward movement and the opposite thrust of the exploding airbag. Is there something I'm missing here on a Goldwing thats unlike a car situation?
    This is kinda off thread but,as for cost of airbags in a car, I'll throw this out for fellow members entertainment: I am currently rebuilding a 2008 BMW 328xi sedan that was totaled by a dealer @ 542K. The airbags that deployed cost me as follows-driver seat side bag$204 list/$175 my cost,driver seat belt pre-tensioner-female$113/$93,left curtain bag and rt curtain bag-"used"$100 each,steering wheel bag"used"-$500,rt passenger bag-dash board"used"$250,Dash board(it blows open a laser cut hole in the dash when the passenger bag deploys) "used"$375,battery positive cable$158/$113(they deploy by separating from the battery).As you can see, these are pricey/over priced items, but do not by themselves cause an expensive car to be totaled even when you factor labor for replacement and the fact is that all to often they don't even deploy when they're supposed to!

After reading the following, would you consider an airbag as an option?
    NOPE!!!
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com