Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: GPS - Need Help on Purchase

I found a refurb Garmin 376c on ebay for $340. It showed up yesterday and seems to have all its parts and works fine.

Also got our 1st good winter storm over the weekend and so I haven't had the bike out since Friday. I guess I'll have a couple of weeks at least to look mounting options.

Has anyone used the marine bracket that comes with the 276/376/378/478 series?

I'm riding a 2002 RT. The previous owner had a radar detector shelf that I was thinking of putting on and bolting the marine bracket to.

The bracket that came with my 276 split into two parts. Part 1 latches to the GPS. Part 2 was a gimbal like mechanism. I removed the latching part from the gimbal part and mounted it to a RAM plate.

Is that what you are calling the marine mount?

// marc

The top portion looks about like that, but the bottom portion looks like a sturdier version of Garmin's basic dashboard mount. There's a baseplate that screws onto whatever surface you'd mount it on, and then the puck-looking part of the base click-swivels on the screw down portion that is kind of in and under the puck-looking portion. The knob in the middle of the puck-looking part screws through to the screw-down base.

I'm not sure quite how to post a picture, and couldn't find a good one anyway, but here is the address to Garmin's page for the marine mount:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1081#imageTab

On another note, the dealer who I had thought I bought a 2720 from, but then thought I didn't, sent me an email this afternoon telling me my order has shipped.

Nearly 3 weeks with no confirmation email that the order went through. No bank activity, so I give up and buy the 376 from someone else, and a day after receiving the 376, get the shipping notification on the 2720.

I'm a little ticked. I do not recommend doing business with fotoconnection.com.

Maybe my wife would like it in her van.

Just ordered a refurb 2720 for $116 delivered off of Ebay. I probably should have asked what year maps were loaded.
    Yellow GS : Micatech Pilots, Pelican 1560, CalSci, Cee Bailey winglets, Pivot Pegs, PIAA, Touratech bits, Rox Risers, Eastern Beaver, Tourance,

if recently refurbed you may luck out and get 2009
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

If not, Amazon has the update for $49.99.

I've been trying to study GPS's too, but let me tell you I'm ignorant as can be; I've always been lazy and just looked over husband's shoulder. I'm trying to do better, though.

Anyway, our 2610 has old maps, v7 according to Garmin. I'm thinking it makes no sense to spend $75 to update this thing when newer units can be had for just a tad more. Am I missing something with this? Please chime in and set me straight. Thanks

Sarah
    '05 DR650; '01 XT225

Sarah - more questions that answers but it trully depends on what you want - if only for the bike and you want to stay with the Steet Pilot series you can get great deals on 2720/30 2820's

What are your needs going to be?

For me i wanted blue tooth, xm traffic and portability - the 550 fit to a tee.
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Hey Prider-

A week before Christmas, 52 posts, What Is The Verdict?

I'm a Garmin Nuvi 350, car first, then Ram mount later for 35 bucks.

About 275.00, and came with complete car kit, and house charger.

Don't forget to get a Charger Adapter for about $13 bucks.
    If your 12 volt adapter is low, like on my R1150R, see
    if you can get it with a 40 inch cord.
    Coil everything in the tank bag.

Good Luck
    '04 R1150RT - Metallic Titan Grey
    '04 R1150R - New Life in Virginia

No, we don't travel much by car, and we don't need the extra functions, we just need more accurate information. I'd read somewhere that '09 may be the last year Garmin provides a non-NT update and that really made me wonder if we ought to keep hanging on to the 2610. Please note I did not hear that from Garmin directly, just somewhere or another along the internet. Is the 2610 the better unit for our purposes? If so I'll shut up and order the update. I'd like to hear what you all think, and thanks again for the help.

Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post
    Sarah - more questions that answers but it trully depends on what you want - if only for the bike and you want to stay with the Steet Pilot series you can get great deals on 2720/30 2820's

What are your needs going to be?

For me i wanted blue tooth, xm traffic and portability - the 550 fit to a tee.
    '05 DR650; '01 XT225

Quote Originally Posted by greer View Post
    ........ we just need more accurate information....
    Sarah
    What i usually do is get the updates every other year, if you have not updated the mapsource software for a while - might be a good time
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by cyclepath View Post
    Check Costco website. I just purchased Zumo 450 for $349.99.

The GPS is also covered under Costco's return with no questions policy. You will need to purchase the car mount for the 450.
    That is the best price I have found on the 450, and from a reputable company too. I'll have to remember which of my friends have a Costco membership. I have Sams Club and their price is $512.

I ride an 04 R1150RT. Has anyone mounted the 450 with the stock mounts? Does the electrical connection go to the battery or the accessory outlet?
    04 R1150RT

Quote Originally Posted by scootrp125x View Post
    I ride an 04 R1150RT. Has anyone mounted the 450 with the stock mounts? Does the electrical connection go to the battery or the accessory outlet?
    I had a 550 ( same unit as far as size) on my 1150 RT and found the shelf from BMR Products http://bmrproducts.com/categories.php to be an excellent mounting solution. It keeps your unit centered and static at all times unlike handle bar mounts. Also the height is perfect to allow full visibly out front yet still have the Zumo in your peripheral vision. It appears they have a new bracket with adjustable tilt for a personal angle. The same shelf is available for the 1200RT as well.

My dealer wired mine to the fuse panel so when the ignition turns on, the Zumo boots up and will shut down when ignition is turned off.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Luck favors those who are prepared.

13. 12-21-2008, 03:20 PM

This is their new bracket with adjustable tilt which mounts on the shelf. The non adjustable static bracket which is all I've used is really a perfect angel and cost a lot less. $15 verses $45 for the adjustable. Might be worth asking if they have the older version.

The pattern of the holes is a standard called "AMPS" which will align perfectly with your Zumo cradle. I need to Google "AMPS" to find out what the hec that stands for.
    Luck favors those who are prepared.

Registered marching ant Antaeas's Avatar

GPS mounts

I have a Garmin 2610 and like it. This thread has moved from recommending GPS units to discussing ways to mount them. I use the BMW stock mount between the handlebars of my '05 R1200RT. The downsides are that the GPS unit is not fully visible over my stock tank bag, and becomes completely illegible when the sun is overhead. The upside for me is that I like to keep my sight lines open, as does BMW, evidently.

I got proof of the importance of sight lines just last month, when I was on Interstate 39 approaching a bridge underpass at 70 m.p.h. just after an oversize load had struck it, littering the roadway with chunks of concrete, some the size of footballs. The chunks were hard to see in the shade of the bridge; as soon I saw the chunks in my path, I braked hard and swerved around the debris. I realized then how crucial my sight lines were in avoiding a broken wheel and nasty get-off.

Sight lines matter more to me than any map. especially when I spot a an obstacle (e.g., dead tread or dropped muffler) in my way. You may like your GPS in your line of sight, but should remember why they have a disclaimer that pops up every time you switch it on. Those screens are distracting, and split-seconds matter more to us riders than to drivers with wheels to spare.
    Last edited by antaeas; 12-21-2008 at 06:21 PM.
    Antaeas

2005 R1200RT (Artie)

"Can I move? I'm better when I move." - Sundance Kid (by Wm. Goldman)

My 2720 showed up today. It is indistinguishable from new including packing and accesories. I can't comment yet on the performance of the 2720, but I would imagine it's going to be fine. For a measly $116.19 delivered, it was a steal. Btw, it was loaded with 2008, which is fine.

Here's the auction info. He has approx 10 of them

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120336945213
    Yellow GS : Micatech Pilots, Pelican 1560, CalSci, Cee Bailey winglets, Pivot Pegs, PIAA, Touratech bits, Rox Risers, Eastern Beaver, Tourance,