Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33

Thread: Rally location suggestion

  1. #16
    "Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    5,477
    How much easier could this be??
    My Vote is for Hawaii. Fair is fair.
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

  2. #17
    Registered User DPeakMD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Franklin, IN
    Posts
    307
    I'll throw in a suggestion for future consideration.

    Bozeman, MT

    I know since the rally was in Gillette, maybe not soon. But this is a great area. The weather would be nice and there's incredible rides in the area. Definitely keep on the radar screen. My other hobby is Airstream trailers. We just had our international rally there on the MSU campus. They were excellent hosts.
    Dallas
    2011 R1200GS Adventure
    Smoke Grey Metallic Matt

  3. #18
    bob204bc
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    HEY! There was a similar concern (heat, rain and mosquitos) for West Bend....turned out to be Eden for four days.

    Besides....after being blown into a ditch by a micro-burst near Spearfish, SD and thrashed by one hell-of-a storm Friday night at the campground in Gillette, you can't scare me.
    You're from Wisconson, my friend. You can't fully appreciate the hell that is the heat and humidity of July in the southeast
    I've been to the EAA convention in Oshkosh several times as well as the fantastic Rally we had in West Bend and can say from those five experiences of camping in WI in July that your summer temps, humidity and cool evenings in July are to be envied.

    Now, lets not talk about December through April ......

    Ohio was pretty miserable for camping comfort. I skipped this years Rally because I went through Gillette in July 07 and found the location to be miserable at that time. All reports I have heard indicate that the temps were not an issue this year. So what's the point? ....... I don't know. What's the question?

  4. #19
    "Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    5,477
    Now, lets not talk about December through April ...
    I'd like to invite you all to the Seattle Rain Festival. It usually runs from January 1st to December 31st.

    But it looks as though it may be longer this year...
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

  5. #20
    Polarbear Polarbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Clovis,CA
    Posts
    4,214

    Weather???

    We ride the most adventurous bikes on the planet, carry the most expensive/best gear along with us and ride further and places most bikers never dream about. Weather? I don't care that much. A rally, lets get r done anywhere, is what its all about. I've been riding in every state many times over and one can find great and really bad days to ride in about any of them. You take your chances every time, on every trip and thank goodness, most work out fine. We sure have had a share of good storms brew over us at many rallies in recent memory and most come out with a story to tell for another days riding. Nobody said biking was ever to be perfect days, temperature wise and we or at least "I" will always come along, hot,cold,rain or sun and camp my rear off until I'm too old to get r done anymore. Not soon.....Don't go too soft on me, fellow BMW Folks. Pick new sites always and enjoy all the wonderful sites N.America is so blessed with. Leave no corner unturned Stamp it BMW..... Randy

  6. #21
    Registered User redclfco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    We ride the most adventurous bikes on the planet, carry the most expensive/best gear along with us and ride further and places most bikers never dream about. Weather? I don't care that much. A rally, lets get r done anywhere, is what its all about. I've been riding in every state many times over and one can find great and really bad days to ride in about any of them. You take your chances every time, on every trip and thank goodness, most work out fine. We sure have had a share of good storms brew over us at many rallies in recent memory and most come out with a story to tell for another days riding. Nobody said biking was ever to be perfect days, temperature wise and we or at least "I" will always come along, hot,cold,rain or sun and camp my rear off until I'm too old to get r done anymore. Not soon.....Don't go too soft on me, fellow BMW Folks. Pick new sites always and enjoy all the wonderful sites N.America is so blessed with. Leave no corner unturned Stamp it BMW..... Randy
    Atta Boy, Randy! May I ride, camp and live till my grandchildren take the keys away!

  7. #22
    It is what it is. Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    6,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    HEY! There was a similar concern (heat, rain and mosquitos) for West Bend....turned out to be Eden for four days.

    Besides....after being blown into a ditch by a micro-burst near Spearfish, SD and thrashed by one hell-of-a storm Friday night at the campground in Gillette, you can't scare me.

    Well if that dosen't scare you, how about 100,000 gathered under the Arch to hear campaign rhetoric? That ought to do it.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

  8. #23
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    3,465

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    Well if that dosen't scare you, how about 100,000 gathered under the Arch to hear campaign rhetoric? That ought to do it.
    THAT would scare me!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

  9. #24
    Registered User redclfco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,014

    The view is worth a thousand words!

    I can't quite see Russia from my house
    So I have to guess; maybe I'm not worthy!

  10. #25
    "Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    5,477
    Quote Originally Posted by redclfco View Post
    I can't quite see Russia from my house
    So I have to guess; maybe I'm not worthy!
    HA!
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

  11. #26
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    3,465

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by bob204bc View Post
    You're from Wisconson, my friend. You can't fully appreciate the hell that is the heat and humidity of July in the southeast
    I've been to the EAA convention in Oshkosh several times as well as the fantastic Rally we had in West Bend and can say from those five experiences of camping in WI in July that your summer temps, humidity and cool evenings in July are to be envied.

    Now, lets not talk about December through April ......

    Ohio was pretty miserable for camping comfort. I skipped this years Rally because I went through Gillette in July 07 and found the location to be miserable at that time. All reports I have heard indicate that the temps were not an issue this year. So what's the point? ....... I don't know. What's the question?
    Absolutely correct. Unless you like to Nordic (Cross-country) ski, December - April in WI is one big yawn.

    You also heard right.....temps in Gillette this year during the Rally were not an issue. Actually quite pleasant when I was there. Now, location, vendors and storms? Best discussed between us alone over coffee some time.

    Being from 'out East,' can you tell me what I can anticipate for camping weather in TN in July?
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

  12. #27
    Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Posts
    3,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Being from 'out East,' can you tell me what I can anticipate for camping weather in TN in July?
    I live about 60 miles from the rally location and my daughter lives about 10 miles from there. I find the daytime highs in July to be in the low to mid 80s. Night time lows are in the low 60s. Humidity is not high here in the mountains (I live at 2,500 feet but Johnson City/Gray is between 1500 and 1600 feet). Temperatures at night is normally very comfortable for camping and there will be a heavy dew almost every morning.

    Ken
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

  13. #28
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    3,465

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I live about 60 miles from the rally location and my daughter lives about 10 miles from there. I find the daytime highs in July to be in the low to mid 80s. Night time lows are in the low 60s. Humidity is not high here in the mountains (I live at 2,500 feet but Johnson City/Gray is between 1500 and 1600 feet). Temperatures at night is normally very comfortable for camping and there will be a heavy dew almost every morning.

    Ken
    Sounds quite doable.

    Thanks!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

  14. #29
    Registered User Rod Sheridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Toronto Ontario
    Posts
    978
    There seems to be a belief that this is the BMWMO of usA club, as opposed to the BMWMO of America club. (Check the club crest).

    i.e. You've forgotten the other two countries in North America.

    Unless my memory is faulty, the rally in Canada was well attended and enjoyed by members. I think that's why it's called the INTERNATIONAL Rally, so that we can go to other countries and see something different than our own country.

    How about a rally in the southern most country in North America?

    Regards, Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

  15. #30
    Benchwrenching PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    8,652
    So - bottom line - other than it's a lot of work for the volunteers who do it - what precisely is wrong with the current method of selecting rally sites?

    Other than simply spewing my opinions,I can't solve a problem until the specific problem is defined and examined.

    Between 1984 and 2004 when I retired, I was employed full time and had limited vacation time and still managed to attend every BMW MOA International Rally except Moodus, CT in 1993 when I had just (weeks before) changed employers and had zero accumulated vacation. Priorities!! Montana, California, Florida, Texas, Vermont, Canada, and every one at locations in between. Since I retired in '04 I've also made them all - but since I'm retired that's almost too easy.

    Some sites were better than others. None were horrible. Some sites handled weather problems better than others - which is a factor. My days doing seminars in sheep sheds with 100 degree heat and 100 db exhaust fans were a lot less fun than air conditioned seminar rooms. "Swimming" in the cattle troughs in 102 degree heat at York, PA was memorable but not as much fun as sitting in 85 degree shade in Texas.

    In years past I put a priority on nice soft shady camping spots. Today I may well prefer nice, inexpensive motel rooms as a priority. But others will not have the same likes and dislikes that I do, at the micro level.

    But back to the original question - what is the problem we are trying to solve?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •