Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: Rally location suggestion

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2

    Rally location suggestion

    How about a rally on the west coast, a rally on the east coast and one half way between? And alternating each?

    This would make it possible for the westerners to show up easily to the west coast rally or a mid-country one.

    A mid-country rally easy for the west or east coasters and lastly, if the rally was on the east coast, the easterners and the mid-westerners would be able to make it ....

    How much easier could this be??

  2. #2
    looking for a coal mine knary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    pdx
    Posts
    5,878
    scott conary - BMW... err...umm... bikes are dangerous
    portland, oregon
    www.scottconary.com | new paintings

  3. #3
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,432
    Quote Originally Posted by joyF650GS View Post
    How much easier could this be??
    it does sound simple.

    you might enjoy reading this thread, where you will find that there are very stong and emotional opinions on all sides of the issue.

    there already is a theory under discussion that says we should pick several locations and rotate between them. some like this idea and some do not.

    personally, and as one of the people who searches for rally sites in the southeast, i think this would simplify a lot of things. the only problem at this point is that i have yet to find a facility in my territory that meets our requirements both now and in the future.

    due to our current selection criteria and selection process, pickings are very slim here in my little corner of the country. out this way, there are three primary stumbling blocks:

    1) quality of riding (to/from and around rally)
    2) temperatures during july
    3) ability to sell beer ourselves

    this essentially limits me to the appalachian mountain region... (a notoriously "dry" area, btw...) and this is evidenced in the location for next year's rally.

    ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    ________________________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e

  4. #4
    Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Posts
    6,822
    Unfortunate that selling beer has to be one of the realities of site selection. The MOA sponsored two new and grand events this October and the sale of beer never entered either equation.

    Are beer sales that critical? How much revenue (roughly) do they generate as a percentage of the take?
    Paul Bachorz - F Twins Moderator
    RA Rallymeister - Pownal, Vermont
    Click here.

  5. #5
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,432
    Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    Are beer sales that critical? How much revenue (roughly) do they generate as a percentage of the take?
    i don't know the answer to your question, but it may not be the right question.

    as i have heard it, the questions are:

    - how much will the rally fee have to go up if beer revenue is lost?
    - will we be able to afford the same level of entertainment? and...
    - how pissed off will members be paying $5 for a cup of bud or bud lite?

    also, it's important to know that most rallies are not huge profit-makers.

    ian

  6. #6
    Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Posts
    6,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    i don't know the answer to your question, but it may not be the right question.

    as i have heard it, the questions are:

    - how much will the rally fee have to go up if beer revenue is lost?
    - will we be able to afford the same level of entertainment? and...
    - how pissed off will members be paying $5 for a cup of bud or bud lite?

    also, it's important to know that most rallies are not huge profit-makers.

    ian
    Somehow our creative membership always get around the the $5 a cup of bud or bud lite. Both of us have been to a lot of rallies without beer tents and there never seems to be a shortage of good spirits."

    The question is mostly rhetorical. Maye the right question is how many potential sites are lost because of the need of low cost beer?
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 10-18-2008 at 04:00 AM.
    Paul Bachorz - F Twins Moderator
    RA Rallymeister - Pownal, Vermont
    Click here.

  7. #7
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,432
    Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    The question is mostly rhetorical. Maye the right question is how many potential sites are lost because of the need of low cost beer?
    that's a much better question... and i would add "the ability to have beer on-site at all."

  8. #8
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    3,409

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by joyF650GS View Post
    How about a rally on the west coast, a rally on the east coast and one half way between? And alternating each?

    This would make it possible for the westerners to show up easily to the west coast rally or a mid-country one.

    A mid-country rally easy for the west or east coasters and lastly, if the rally was on the east coast, the easterners and the mid-westerners would be able to make it ....

    How much easier could this be??
    I think the basic concept of your idea has merit. Three permanent 'regions' of the USA would be logical, and allow for better planning logistics, both personally and as a club.

    The only 'wrinkle' I'd like to see in the "West Coast / East Coast / Mid-America" dividing of the nation is that the National Rally is NOT in the same site within those regions from year to year.

    That way, members can still look forward with anticipation to new areas of the country to visit each year when rally time comes around, which I suspect is the big draw for many to attend in the first place - somewhere new to ride and explore!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.)
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer,THE REF Staff)
    Iron Butt Association Member # 34281

  9. #9
    Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Posts
    3,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    I think the basic concept of your idea has merit. Three permanent 'regions' of the USA would be logical, and allow for better planning logistics, both personally and as a club.

    The only 'wrinkle' I'd like to see in the "West Coast / East Coast / Mid-America" dividing of the nation is that the National Rally is NOT in the same site within those regions from year to year.

    That way, members can still look forward with anticipation to new areas of the country to visit each year when rally time comes around, which I suspect is the big draw for many to attend in the first place - somewhere new to ride and explore!
    The problem with only three regions as suggested is that it doesn't account for the North/South problem. It's a very long way from the Canadian border to Mexico or the Gulf of Mexico. The rally in July apparently eliminates the Southern United States once you get out of the mountains due to the heat (but July in the desert is ok?).

    I also don't want to go to the same site in each region year to year. The changes in membership, the failing memories of older members and changes to the area would make a repeat location acceptable if it was on an infreqent basis.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

  10. #10
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    3,409

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    The problem with only three regions as suggested is that it doesn't account for the North/South problem. It's a very long way from the Canadian border to Mexico or the Gulf of Mexico. The rally in July apparently eliminates the Southern United States once you get out of the mountains due to the heat (but July in the desert is ok?).

    I also don't want to go to the same site in each region year to year. The changes in membership, the failing memories of older members and changes to the area would make a repeat location acceptable if it was on an infreqent basis.
    Actually, it DOES account for your 'North-South' issue quite well.

    Example: a national rally in the 'Mid-America' region could be in Minnesota one year, St. Louis three years after that, and three years later, in Texas.

    That means NOT going to the same site in each region. Would still need a Site Search Committee and template.

    Variety is the spice of life, and no reason why we cannot keep the rally sites moving around within each specific region.

    But three uniform regions would allow people to plan ahead and might even boost interest and attendance. If I knew that next year, the region would be out west, and the year after that in mid-America, I could plan ahead in terms of time off, finances, tempting the SO to come along, visit a relative, etc.

    Some predictability, among no more than three regions, would be advantageous.
    Last edited by Greenwald; 10-17-2008 at 11:03 PM.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.)
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer,THE REF Staff)
    Iron Butt Association Member # 34281

  11. #11
    It is what it is. Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Flyover Country = Southern Illinois
    Posts
    6,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Actually, it DOES account for your 'North-South' issue quite well.

    Example: a national rally in the 'Mid-America' region could be in Minnesota one year, St. Louis three years after that, and three years later, in Texas.

    That means NOT going to the same site in each region. Would still need a Site Search Committee and template.

    Variety is the spice of life, and no reason why we cannot keep the rally sites moving around within each specific region.

    But three uniform regions would allow people to plan ahead and might even boost interest and attendance. If I knew that next year, the region would be out west, and the year after that in mid-America, I could plan ahead in terms of time off, finances, tempting the SO to come along, visit a relative, etc.

    Some predictability, among no more than three regions, would be advantageous.
    Trust me, you don't want to hold a mid July rally in St. Louis. Hot, hazy and humid will always be the forecast.
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

    Charter Member "High Town" crew.

  12. #12
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    3,409

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    Trust me, you don't want to hold a mid July rally in St. Louis. Hot, hazy and humid will always be the forecast.
    HEY! There was a similar concern (heat, rain and mosquitos) for West Bend....turned out to be Eden for four days.

    Besides....after being blown into a ditch by a micro-burst near Spearfish, SD and thrashed by one hell-of-a storm Friday night at the campground in Gillette, you can't scare me.
    Last edited by Greenwald; 10-18-2008 at 01:32 PM.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.)
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer,THE REF Staff)
    Iron Butt Association Member # 34281

  13. #13
    Registered User redclfco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    That way, members can still look forward with anticipation to new areas of the country to visit each year when rally time comes around, which I suspect is the big draw for many to attend in the first place - somewhere new to ride and explore!
    +1 to thatcomment! I have never been to Tennessee! I have several elderly Aunts out there who I get to visit, and from what I gather from ya'all, the riding is right out of the fairgrounds back door!

    I am still waiting to hear the "theme" Southern Rock to Leon Russell for the music along with A Saturday night feed of Bar Be Que? Baby backs and home made baked beans? Pulled Pork and Corn on the Cob? I really hope it is heading down that road as the flavor of the event (in my mind) determines the draw. Tennessee is penned into my vacation calendar already!

    To go to new areas each year is fantastic!

    Although Greenwald, if I remember right, you have Colorado connections? Or is that Kenk, I can't remember? As much as Colo Springs is not my favorite town in Colorado, (a big military base with all the trimmings) the riding out the town's back door to the west is awesome riding! It's a big enough town that EVERYONE would go away happy, fed like kings and have no complaints with the mutiple venues in the area! Hotels are BIG and on every corner from the Rtiz to Motel "bed bugs"...

    Going back to a place I know well is a bunch of fun down the Memory trail, but should be mixed up with new and exciting stuff!

  14. #14
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    3,409

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by redclfco View Post
    +1 to thatcomment! I have never been to Tennessee! I have several elderly Aunts out there who I get to visit, and from what I gather from ya'all, the riding is right out of the fairgrounds back door!

    I am still waiting to hear the "theme" Southern Rock to Leon Russell for the music along with A Saturday night feed of Bar Be Que? Baby backs and home made baked beans? Pulled Pork and Corn on the Cob? I really hope it is heading down that road as the flavor of the event (in my mind) determines the draw. Tennessee is penned into my vacation calendar already!

    To go to new areas each year is fantastic!

    Although Greenwald, if I remember right, you have Colorado connections? Or is that Kenk, I can't remember? As much as Colo Springs is not my favorite town in Colorado, (a big military base with all the trimmings) the riding out the town's back door to the west is awesome riding! It's a big enough town that EVERYONE would go away happy, fed like kings and have no complaints with the mutiple venues in the area! Hotels are BIG and on every corner from the Rtiz to Motel "bed bugs"...

    Going back to a place I know well is a bunch of fun down the Memory trail, but should be mixed up with new and exciting stuff!
    I have the Colorado connections.

    But I completely agree with you about "mixing up new and exciting" locales.

    I just happen to concur with the original author of this thread that our current system is cumbersome, lacks predictability and could be improved thru simplification.
    Last edited by Greenwald; 10-17-2008 at 11:04 PM.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.)
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer,THE REF Staff)
    Iron Butt Association Member # 34281

  15. #15
    It is what it is. Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Flyover Country = Southern Illinois
    Posts
    6,493
    Quote Originally Posted by joyF650GS View Post
    How about a rally on the west coast, a rally on the east coast and one half way between? And alternating each?

    This would make it possible for the westerners to show up easily to the west coast rally or a mid-country one.

    A mid-country rally easy for the west or east coasters and lastly, if the rally was on the east coast, the easterners and the mid-westerners would be able to make it ....

    How much easier could this be??
    Welcome to the forum. Check your PM's.

    If your first post is any indicator, we will be seeing more of you here. Looking forward to your reaction to the answers to your question of how much easier could this be.
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

    Charter Member "High Town" crew.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •