Thread: r27 oil

r27 oil

I Bought A 61 R27 And The Owners Manuel Says To Use 90 Weight For The Transmission On One Page Then On Another Page It Says To Use 40 Weight For The Trans. Anyone Out There Know For Sure. Thanks

[mod]
    I'm pretty sure you'll get a better response to this thread with it in the Vintage area rather than the Airheads.
    [/mod]

My 2c on it is that in the mid 60s, BMW changed their recommendations on all bikes from using motor oil for the transmission, shaft and final drive to gear lube. This corresponded to the point where they changed the seals they were using, to be resistant to the chemistry in gear lube.

As the R27's last year was 1967, I suspect that your manual is actually from the end of the R27's era, and was incompletely updated for the change.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Rally Rat
    Consensus seems to be that you should use the 90w hypoid oil. BUT, and this is a big but, you must use the GL-4 spec... hard to find these days. The GL-5 that is readily available everywhere has stuff in it that is harmful to bronze, which is used for bushings in the older trannys.

If you need to, you can get Pennzoil GL-4 from Vech, THE guru of these vintage bikes. He will be very helpful on the phone if you want to find out more.....

Vech's parts website is here

Quote Originally Posted by rpeckham136133 View Post
    Consensus seems to be that you should use the 90w hypoid oil. BUT, and this is a big but, you must use the GL-4 spec... hard to find these days. The GL-5 that is readily available everywhere has stuff in it that is harmful to bronze, which is used for bushings in the older trannys.
    Not that hard to find if you don't mind paying for synthetic. Example:

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...p?productID=46

There are others available.

// marc