Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Non-heated winter gloves

K Fanatic
    I love the Aerostick Elkskin Ropers. I wear the uninsulated ones down to about 40 degrees or so and use my heated grips as needed. I wear the insulated ones below that and they keep me comfy down into the 20's. I can extend that by wearing their triple digit rain gloves over the ropers.

One of the things I like best about the ropers is that the elkskin seems particularly sticky so you don't have to squeeze the throttle as hard (I don't have cruise control) and my hand doesn't get fatigued as much as with other gloves.

OK, I bought some...

I went with the Olympia All Season Gloves based on the reviews here and Webbikeworld.
    Very nice fit and finish. The XL fits well for me. Glove are normally a struggle for me because I have long narrow fingers. These had the length I need without the rest of my hand swimming in the glove.
    They'll get a test run this weekend. I leave for the Barbersports Vintage days in Birmingham at 7 AM Sat, currently forecast at 45 degrees. The day will end up around 75 in Birmingham. That's at least two seasons of the four. I will post back.
    Do have a question though. My practice for most of my leather goods is to SnoSeal them. Do any of you have an opinion about that for gloves? These do have a GoreTex liner to keep my hands dry but I did read that their weight did double after a couple of hours of rain because of the water absorbed by the leather. SnoSeal does leave a waxy feel but would do a lot to prevent the the water absorption. Thoughts?
    Tom Baker
    2009 BMW R1200RT
    1970 Triumph Bonneville

Hi Tom:

I put SnoSeal on my Lee Parks deerskin gloves because of the absorption problem. You may know this but maybe I can save somebody else.
    It's important not to get SnoSeal where you grip your visor to flip it up or the beeswax gets on the visor. I hate it when that happens!
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Keep it off the fingertips?

Thanx, Mike, I hadn't thought of that.
    Do you recommend putting it on the backs of the gloves and maybe the palm but to keep it off the front of the fingers?
    Tom Baker
    2009 BMW R1200RT
    1970 Triumph Bonneville

lvhbugmanK75
    I just bought a pair of the aerostich vegan "three season" glove. they are quite toasty on my heated grips, although they do run a bit small as per the product description ( I am an XL). I have ridden in 35 to 40 degree temps comfortably.

35 degrees f yesterday morning, 25 degrees f this morning. Finger tips numb down to the first joint. Unable to feel anthing. Had to have my wife unstrap my helmet. I need unheated gloves that will keep fingers that have been frost bitten, warm. Have not found any, yet.
    Tim
    1997 K1100 LT
    " If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there." And that is OK with me

BMW Winter 2s should be renamed BMW Fall2s as that is the coldest season they are good for.

30 minute commute in snowy mix (~mid 30s) left me with numb thumbs.

Trying liners on the next cold morning.

May have to go to the Touratech large handguards with spoiler to help.

glennhendricks

Olympia gloves are top notch

I wear these Monsoon versions in the mornings when it is running around 39 F. They are waterproof and plenty warm on the RT.

Never had cold fingers when riding and yesterday, while taking the bike to its winter hibernation place the gloves performed just fine.

I'd like to hear what people think the big difference is between winter riding gloves and skiing or mountaineering gloves. I tried a pair of gloves on at the Tallahassee BMW dealer and decided to go with my mountaineering gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by bradleypurple View Post
    I'd like to hear what people think the big difference is between winter riding gloves and skiing or mountaineering gloves. I tried a pair of gloves on at the Tallahassee BMW dealer and decided to go with my mountaineering gloves.
    I suspect that sometimes the difference is nothing, other times a lot. If your skiing or mountaineering gloves are such that the won't shred when sliding down the asphalt if you happen to fall then they are probably fine. I don't think you can say that about all gloves. Alas, I don't even think you can say that about all motorcycle gloves.

// marc

nevada72
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleypurple View Post
    While waiting for my G3s to arrive, I used my Hotfinger Gore-tex ski gloves riding in 40 degrees the other day. Warm as toast and way better "feel" than the G3s that arrived yesterday. I know from experience that they are very water resistant. Frankly, I am surprised at how bulky the G3s are and the XLs are tight to the point that the wires will hurt on a ride over 15 minutes. The ski gloves would likely shred in a serious slider, but the G3s have no armor either. I'll send back the G3s and size up to XXL, which is unprecedented for me.

Rally Rat
    Does anyone know of gloves made specifically to be used with heated grips? It seems a thinner amount of insulation would be best for the palms and lower portion of the fingers, with a thicker amount of insulation for the backs of the hands and finger tips. I have Widder heated gloves, but hate the lack of feel on the controls due to the clumsy design. Not sure I want to spend the money on other heated gloves to see if I like them better, so continue to look for non-heated gloves that are actually warm.

Quote Originally Posted by john1691 View Post
    Does anyone know of gloves made specifically to be used with heated grips?
    I've had reasonably good luck with gloves containing phase-change material. They take slightly longer to warm up, but hold the heat pretty well. I'm using a Rev'It glove. Lee Parks Design also has several choices in PCI gloves, some with more insulation on the back than the front. Don't know if they are waterproof, though. The Rev'It Farenheit are.

// marc

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by om45ge View Post
    I love the Aerostich Elkskin Ropers. I wear the uninsulated ones down to about 40 degrees or so and use my heated grips as needed. I wear the insulated ones below that and they keep me comfy down into the 20's.
    My experiences are identical to these observations.

Although I now use handlebar covers (rain is a bigger deal than cold here in Seattle), and thus rarely use insulated gloves anymore. Handlebar covers + heated grips + regular Aerostich elkskin ropers = warm and dry hands regardless of conditions.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    I've had reasonably good luck with gloves containing phase-change material. They take slightly longer to warm up, but hold the heat pretty well. I'm using a Rev'It glove. Lee Parks Design also has several choices in PCI gloves, some with more insulation on the back than the front. Don't know if they are waterproof, though. The Rev'It Farenheit are.

// marc
    Thanks, a little pricey, but as is often said, you get what you pay for.