Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heated Gloves

Rob Mayes

Heated Gloves

I am really coming around to appreciating my Gerbing Gloves.

On my HD I have heated grips. While my palms are hot my nuckles are freezing. My BMW did not have heated grips so I bought a pair of Gerbing heated gloves. They make the morning ride great. I am determine to ride as long as the roads are not icy.

Do you prefer the Heated Grips or Heated Gloves?

Last edited by RJM2096; 10-09-2008 at 02:52 PM.

I like the heated grips, especially for those times when it is cool but not downright cold. I wear heated gloves (with the heated grips) when the temperature drops into the low 20s or below, or when I'm spending long hours with temps in the 30s. Why either/or? Every little bit helps.
    '12 K1600 GT

What is it you intend to do with your one wild and precious life? - Mary Oliver

jcridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabird View Post
    I like the heated grips, especially for those times when it is cool but not downright cold. I wear heated gloves (with the heated grips) when the temperature drops into the low 20s or below, or when I'm spending long hours with temps in the 30s. Why either/or? Every little bit helps.
    +1...what he said

Seeking Mental Floss
    That photograph is indicative of the primary reason I live in south Texas.

FatChance
    Quote Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
    That photograph is indicative of the primary reason I live in south Texas.
    You don't mind hurricanes?

Niko01
    I also use both. I don't like using the gerbing heated gloves unless its very cold because they are very bulky.

Niko

I have a pair of heated gloves. I hate them, too bulky. I've been wanting to try a pair of heated glove liners. Will probably do so as the weather gets a little colder.
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    2013 GL1800 Goldwing
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

I have a pair of Gerbings heated gloves. I wear them in only the coldest situations because of the bulk. I have a pair of BMW winter gloves and I wear a pair of silk liners under them and can ride easily into the 20's.
    Jim Johnson, OP Kansas
    Marcus Aurelius: "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

jcridge

Gerbing G3 gloves

Try on the new G3 heated gloves from Gerbing. My wife just bought a pair, they were designed around all the faults of the classic Gerbings. Not bulky at all, fit just like a pair of high quality cold riding gloves.

I believe it makes a huge difference what type of bike you have and how long you ride. Case and point on my Oilhead RT I used the heated grips with heated gloves when it got cold. On my Airhead RS I use neither, but that is because my hands are behind the fairing and under total wind protection. You would think that the RT has better wind protection, but not so at all. I do use silk liners in the winter.
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member

Blocking the wind / containing the heat from whatever source seems to make a big difference. I bought the Gerbing G3's to use on the Dakar, I think I only used them once since putting the handguard extensions on. Using both sucks up twice the juice, I had to consider other draws ie. driving lights, Gerbing Jacket. Here's the question I haven't been able to answer. If you use an insulated/winter glove and add a liner to contain the heat (again from whatever source, G3's are insulated too), doesn't that insulation work both ways? Aren't you insulating yourself from your heated grip? I think those half sleeve cover things that slide over the end of the handlebars would add some wind/water protection and contain some heat from both heated grips and heated gloves. Haven't had the need to buy them yet, probably easiest to find from snowmobile distributors.

Niko01
    The classic gerbings work very well in keeping ones hands warm, its just that they are very bulky. I don't use heat in the grips nor do I use any liners when I have the gerbings on. I have worn the gloves on down to the mid 20s and they were fine. I have to try their new g3 gloves. This is all on an R1150RT.

MrB
    I have both. If I could only have one it would be heated gloves as they definitely work better in cold weather. For me, the heated grips work OK in cool weather, but not shen it's cold.

YMMV, of course. I have riding buddies who wear thin gloves until it's down into the 40's. The same guys can ride in 40 degree weather with an unlined Darien jacket. These are usually beefy types, of course. I'm not so hardy, and my hands get cold easily.

As long as we're talking about heated gloves, can someone clear something up for me? Do all the gloves need the heated jacket as well to complete the circut? My Tourmaster stuff keeps the rest of me just toasty on my R11RT, but my hands freeze below about 36deg. I really don't like the thought of the battery operated gloves with a D cell on the back of your hand. I would love a pair of the heated liners just by themselves with a reostat in the tank bag.
    Jay

Cool Why are you worrying about gloves?

Concerning that picture - I think gloves should be your last thought not your first. I would suggest blow torch or moving south.

I have the Gerbings jacket I wear under my leathers in the winter. I also have heated grips and use snow mobile gloves. I have found that the grips really don't do much for the outside of your hands, so a wind break would be best. If that doesn't cut the cold enough then invest in the gloves. Friends of mine use only the electric gloves and look like the Michelin man with out heated clothing. But it works for them.
    05 R1200RT
    Duragloss, Sidi, Russell, Olympia, Arai
    Sonor Signature Series (no longer made thanks to AMF buying Sonor)
    These are a few of my favorite things ...