Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: LED Tail Recommendations

Question "Brake" LED new name question

Quote Originally Posted by wuli959 View Post
    I believe that the company is back in business under a new name.
    What is the new name?
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf

Smile BRAKE LED new name

Thanks for the help.
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf

$135.00 for a light bulb?

Lot of other cheaper alternatives that would provide more lights.

Think I would pass.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post

Think I would pass.
    Hi,
    I bought this light system for my K1200RS and wouldn't leave home without it. A safety item that is well worth the money IMHO.
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf

Think I would pass.
    "Light bulb" ??? I think you don't get it. The Brake!LED is to light bulb as K1300S is to moped. It is the single biggest safety improvement I have made to my GS, and I speak from experience: my K100RS (with conventional light bulb in brake light) was rear-ended and totalled by an inattentive driver. I watch people back off now when they see the flashing Brake!LED. A buck thirty-five is a perfectly reasonable amount of money for this technology.

(No affiliation, just a happy customer of the old GizmoMill)
    Steve O. - MOA #122171
    '05 R12GS, '76 CB200 (wife's)
    '91 K100RS, '87 Honda CBR1000 Hurricane, '84 Yamaha FJ1100, '85 Honda VF500F, '76 Yamaha RD400, '82 Honda XL500... and more

Quote Originally Posted by CaptRehkopf View Post
    Hi,
    I bought this light system for my K1200RS and wouldn't leave home without it. A safety item that is well worth the money IMHO.
    I think you missed my point. I didn't say it was a bad idea (better rear lighting), I was only pointing out that there are less expensive options.

To each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by soffiler View Post
    "Light bulb" ??? I think you don't get it. The Brake!LED is to light bulb as K1300S is to moped. It is the single biggest safety improvement I have made to my GS, and I speak from experience: my K100RS (with conventional light bulb in brake light) was rear-ended and totalled by an inattentive driver. I watch people back off now when they see the flashing Brake!LED. A buck thirty-five is a perfectly reasonable amount of money for this technology.

(No affiliation, just a happy customer of the old GizmoMill)

I got it. I have Hyper Lites on the back of my RT. Additional rear lighting is a good thing.

I was just suggesting there were less expensive options.

Thumbs up

I got it. I have Hyper Lites on the back of my RT. Additional rear lighting is a good thing.

I was just suggesting there were less expensive options.
    Hi,
    I understand what you're saying. But simply get behind a hyper light bike and a BRAKE LED light bike and you'll visibly understand what we're talking about. By the way, I actually have both on my K1200RS but IMHO there is no comparison to the attention getting ability of the BRAKE LED and the hyper lights. BRAKE wins hand down!
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf

Hyperlites are cool, SIBUD. But they are apples-to-oranges.

1) Hyperlites mount externally. I would not exactly try to convince anyone they're ugly, but the Brake!LED is completely internal and completely stock-looking.

2) More importantly, the only Hyperlites I am familiar with (not claiming to be a Hyperlite expert) do not have multiple output levels. They're always ON, and when you hit the brake, they FLASH, but always at the same (bright) output level. I like more contrast, personally.

3) Perhaps most important, Hyperlites retain the failure-prone stock incandescent bulb within the tail light itself. The Brake!LED completely replaces that old-school filament bulb with a circuit board full of bright red LED's that are extremely robust.

So, apples to oranges. These Brake!LED apples tend to be a pricer but they offer some unique flavors for your additional dollars.
    Steve O. - MOA #122171
    '91 K100RS, '87 Honda CBR1000 Hurricane, '84 Yamaha FJ1100, '85 Honda VF500F, '76 Yamaha RD400, '82 Honda XL500... and more

My 2 cents.

I like the idea of LED technology, but my experience has been that the LEDs are not as reliable as some people may want me to think. I have done some research and yes, they can be very bright and use less power when working than the original incandescent bulb. But when the incandescent bulb burns out, I can get one just about anywhere. What do you do when the LED dies or the circuit board develops a crack and doesn't work anymore? Wait on the side of the road for Purolator or Loomis to deliver your replacment? I think not.

Myself, I have a system called Pulse Stop on my bike. It was on my bike from previous owner and I think he got it in England. I hit my brakes and the brake light and rear turn signals flash for a few seconds then the Brake comes on full while the turn signals continue to flash. If I have a turn signal turned on to make a turn, then they do do not flash, only the Brake light does. The flashing turn signals really get the attention of the cagers behind me. Quite often then will pull up beside me and tell me my 4 way flashers are on. I smile and say thank you for being so observant.

And if a bulb burns out, which does happen on occasion, I can get one at pretty much any gas station or auto store.

Just my 2 cents.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by soffiler View Post
    Hyperlites are cool, SIBUD. But they are apples-to-oranges.

1) Hyperlites mount externally. I would not exactly try to convince anyone they're ugly, but the Brake!LED is completely internal and completely stock-looking.

2) More importantly, the only Hyperlites I am familiar with (not claiming to be a Hyperlite expert) do not have multiple output levels. They're always ON, and when you hit the brake, they FLASH, but always at the same (bright) output level. I like more contrast, personally.

3) Perhaps most important, Hyperlites retain the failure-prone stock incandescent bulb within the tail light itself. The Brake!LED completely replaces that old-school filament bulb with a circuit board full of bright red LED's that are extremely robust.

So, apples to oranges. These Brake!LED apples tend to be a pricer but they offer some unique flavors for your additional dollars.
    Interesting comparisons. Thanks Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by shire2000 View Post
    I like the idea of LED technology, but my experience has been that the LEDs are not as reliable as some people may want me to think. I have done some research and yes, they can be very bright and use less power when working than the original incandescent bulb. But when the incandescent bulb burns out, I can get one just about anywhere. What do you do when the LED dies or the circuit board develops a crack and doesn't work anymore? Wait on the side of the road for Purolator or Loomis to deliver your replacment? I think not.
    Um, no. You simply throw a good old available-anywhere incandescent back in, of course. I've got one in my toolkit. Haven't needed it...
    Steve O. - MOA #122171

Maybe I am just old fashioned. I am getting older, my bike is old, incandescent bulb technology is old. Hey, I think I see a trend there.

I work in IT and really don't see a lot of good reasons to throw a lot of new high end technology at a very simple issue.

If you really want everyone to take notice that you are there, get one of those revolving high intensity amber lights and mount it to the top of your helmet. I am pretty sure the cagers will see you then. Oh, and paint your bike and all your riding gear flourescent and glow in the dark orange or yellow. That may help. Better yet, you can get some flashing LED lights and sew them to all your clothing. Set them up to flash at different intervals so that it really attracts attention. Don't have them all the same colour, make some red, some green, some blue, etc. Ooops, now that is starting to sound like some kind of looney on a huge behemoth bike that has more farkles than miles on it.

I better quit now, might offend somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by shire2000 View Post
    Maybe I am just old fashioned. I am getting older, my bike is old, incandescent bulb technology is old. Hey, I think I see a trend there.

I work in IT and really don't see a lot of good reasons to throw a lot of new high end technology at a very simple issue.

If you really want everyone to take notice that you are there, get one of those revolving high intensity amber lights and mount it to the top of your helmet. I am pretty sure the cagers will see you then. Oh, and paint your bike and all your riding gear flourescent and glow in the dark orange or yellow. That may help. Better yet, you can get some flashing LED lights and sew them to all your clothing. Set them up to flash at different intervals so that it really attracts attention. Don't have them all the same colour, make some red, some green, some blue, etc. Ooops, now that is starting to sound like some kind of looney on a huge behemoth bike that has more farkles than miles on it.

I better quit now, might offend somebody.
    So now I guess we know your true position on the issue, although this recent post does seem somewhat contrary to your earlier comment "...I like the idea of LED technology..."

I counter that it's anything but the simple issue you paint it. And please excuse me but I do feel that I'm speaking from the unique point of view of the survivor of a serious rear-end collision.

Personally I think headlight modulators fall into that category of "why not just put a revolving amber light on top of your helmet". I think if you feel THAT unsafe out there, then perhaps it's better to just get off the road. But this thread isn't about headlight modulators, it's about LED taillight recommendations. I suppose "none at all, stick with the old-school bulb" is a recommendation of sorts. To each his own.

I feel that my combination of diligence and skill will go a long way toward mitigating my risk as a rider, to the point where I am totally comfortable venturing out on the bike each day, until you get to the subject of the rear-end collision. There's no way out of that one using diligence and skill. Here, I wish to invoke all that technology has to offer.
    Steve O. - MOA #122171