Thread: My airhead won a blue ribbon today!

My airhead won a blue ribbon today!

Hey everyone. I just had to share this with you guys. Today I went the the Ralph Wayne Vintage Backyard Nationals bike rally. It's a Kansas City tradition where there are thousands of bikes, old and new, all makes and models.

I pulled up with some friends on my /6 and parked a few blocks from the rally site.

We went to the rally and looked at all the great bikes. HDs, BMWs, Ducatis, Triumphs, Kaws, etc. etc. etc. There are some GREAT bikes and thousands of really great people.

After lunch and a couple of beers we went back to the bikes to head home. And guess what I found on my bike:

Ralph and his wife and friends make up these Blue Ribbons for the bikes that are "special little jewels" as Ralph calls them. And my R60 got one.

I'm really stoked and I just wanted to share this with you all as you've all been instrumental in helping me get the girl running and looking good. Thanks for all your help. I'm leaving for a four-day tour next week through Missouri. thanks to your help.

Take care, be safe.

john
    1976 R60/6 Monza Blue - "Lola"
    2006 R1200GS

Congratulations, John

A beautiful "R" specimen!!! Your bike is impecciable!

advrider.com
    Cool.

Watkinsville, Georgia/Annapolis, Maryland
    Now that's the way to win. Well done. Great representation of these airhead gems, she looks new!

Congrats.
    '83 R100RT'd
    '71 R75/5 SWB
    '06 KLR 650

Not available in stores.. PAGoldsby's Avatar
    You were parked right across the street from me when I was leaving this afternoon! This really is a beautiful motorcycle, and a well-deserved award from Ralph.

Congratulations!
    I can't believe how incredulous I am.

Nutfarm
    I've been to many vintage motorcycle shows, and sometimes the best machines are in the parking lot.

Ken G.

Congrats, you deserve it. Beautiful bike, beautiful, beautiful!!!
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member

bobh41
    It sure is an encouragement to keep it stock. You could have put flames on it - or something - for the shock value, I guess, or put on $10K of flashy, tricky goo gaws, but nothing does it, in my mind, like a pristine classic or vintage machine.

Good job.

/6 is the greatest

Congrats!

Kudos to you for such a beautiful bike!

Robert

THAT is a sweet looking /6.

congratulations.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. A lot of the originality of the bike is because the original owners didn't do a lot of crap to it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh41 View Post
    It sure is an encouragement to keep it stock. You could have put flames on it - or something - for the shock value, I guess, or put on $10K of flashy, tricky goo gaws, but nothing does it, in my mind, like a pristine classic or vintage machine.

Good job.
    Thanks. To be fair I'll be damned if they aren't just a great bike when bone-stock. The only thing truly non-stock about mine is the new wax I just put on the gas tank.

The more research I do on them about possible non-stock accessories and parts, the more I find that the stock equipment, or OEM accessories just suit me and my style.

I had a pair of Dunstall knockoff silencers and took them off and put the original silencers back on. Same with the after-market grips that were on it. Back to Maguras.
    1976 R60/6 Monza Blue - "Lola"
    2006 R1200GS