Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: auxiliary light recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff488 View Post
    What kind of vehicle are all those mounted on?
    Well if it's the same picture I saw previously - it was a Vespa scooter.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff488 View Post
    What kind of vehicle are all those mounted on?
    I believe it is an Innocenti Lambretta.

I see.
    So; if all were switched on at the same time, what would happen?
    Engine stop dead? Battery meltdown? Cessation of forward motion?

Interesting thing to do to a scooter.

Probably have to go to a "c" rated front tire.
    '04 Silver R1150RT "Big Oel". '05 Yellow KLR 650
    '00 Red Suzuki Bandit 600
    '65 Allstate/Puch 250 twingle
    "I just want somewhere to ride and food when I get there."

Registered User ALIENHITCHHIKER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    A relay to increase brightness? Thats news to me.

The idea is to power the lights with their own fat gauge harness, straight off the battery. A heavy duty relay is then used to switch the harness, with the relay powered by the original light circuit and handle bar switch.

I've done this with my last two bikes, using both a home grown set-up and the aforementioned Eastern Beaver (which is a well made plug & play product).

The standard 55/60 watt bulb will burn a bit brighter, and you can run a bigger wattage (like an 80/100) without fear of melting down the handlebar switch.

It works.
    Steve
    Current Hottie: '00 R1100RT
    Old Flames: FY K100RT, '80 XS850 with Vetter Quicksilver, '67 Bonnie, '66 Honda 90

Geno
    change to a hid heaglight, draws 35w vs 55w for halogen.
    The bi-xenon costs $149 and gives you both high and low beam.
    they are available from: http://www.xenonrider.com/

Quote Originally Posted by alien_hitchhiker View Post
    The idea is to power the lights with their own fat gauge harness, straight off the battery.
    OK, so you mean the OEM headlight.

Well try this...turn your headlights on and measure the voltage at the positive battery terminal and then at the headlight terminal. That is your voltage drop in the wire due to its resistance....which is why I like to use multi-stranded wire of the next higher gauge....which is what is in those driving light kits with relay.

Registered User ALIENHITCHHIKER's Avatar
    Alex, I agree. Both my headlight and my auxillary lights are powered by independent, reduced resistance harnesses with relay switches.

Now...these $149 bi-xenon lights have started me thinking. Could these be the next item on my ever expanding wish list?

So many toys, so little money.
    Steve
    Current Hottie: '00 R1100RT
    Old Flames: FY K100RT, '80 XS850 with Vetter Quicksilver, '67 Bonnie, '66 Honda 90

Quote Originally Posted by alien_hitchhiker View Post
    Now...these $149 bi-xenon lights have started me thinking. Could these be the next item on my ever expanding wish list?
    I just don't want to clutter up my bike with lighting modules. They are getting smaller compared to what they once were, but still. Someone mentioned that a light now comes with the lighting units built-in.

Hey, I'm still using a CRT even though flat screens have been out for ages. If it still works...I'd sooner spend my coin on gas.

Hella ff50

A good choice, the install instructions a lousy! If you can find a set of piaa's they are nice. watch froogle, they have some good deals sometimes.

Still looking for lights? I think I have a mounting solution for you. I'll PM you with details.

criminaldesign
    Thanks for all the feedback. I plan on upping the charging system first before doing anything plus my GEN light started to come on faintly even at 4000 rpm. Opened up the cover on the motor and the diode board was bunk. You could see where the solder was getting hot as it ran down the board and dried. We tested the board and only got a response from 4 of the 6 diodes.

So I'm waiting on the omega diode board, replacing the rubber mounts with the solid ones and replacing the regulator all for Motorrad Electrik. I guess I'm half way there replacing the charging system. I may just go ahead and do it seeing as it's been consistent rain for the past month so I haven't been able to do any riding and I have the front of the motor opened up already.

Merry Christmas everyone. Houston

criminaldesign
    Actually would I get more wattage out of the charging system by the addition of the Omega Diode Board, along with the Solid State High Output Voltage Regulators?

Would there be a need to replace the stator and rotor? Tested the rotor and it's good and the brushes are in great shape.

Any thoughts? Thanks again, Houston

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by criminaldesign View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. I plan on upping the charging system first before doing anything plus my GEN light started to come on faintly even at 4000 rpm. Opened up the cover on the motor and the diode board was bunk. You could see where the solder was getting hot as it ran down the board and dried. We tested the board and only got a response from 4 of the 6 diodes.

So I'm waiting on the omega diode board, replacing the rubber mounts with the solid ones and replacing the regulator all for Motorrad Electrik. I guess I'm half way there replacing the charging system. I may just go ahead and do it seeing as it's been consistent rain for the past month so I haven't been able to do any riding and I have the front of the motor opened up already.

Merry Christmas everyone. Houston
    This may help. http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31698

Rick at Motorrad is great.

Aux lighting

I don't know if you've upgraded yet but FWIW, I upgraded my low beam on my 02 LTC with an HID bulb and ballast from www.cqlight.ca

Reasonably priced, very fast shipping. Nice folks to talk to as well, very helpful. Others have mentioned Trail Tech HID aux lights and I'll second that. If the LT has any faults, it's the amount of light output which also has a lot to do with the design of the headlight assembly.

The next light upgrade I do will be a set of Trail Tech HIDs. They're about half the $$ of PIAAs and the best I can tell are virtually the same lights.

HIDs, more light, less draw on your system, whatever you ride.

if you subscribe to motorcycle consumer news, they recently did a comparo of aftermarket lights. It might suprise you which lights were rated poorly. The HIDs blew all of the others out of the water.

One last thing, I found another thread on the FJR forum which talked about the same thing. One of the light systems they recommened was , Solteks. Now these babies were so bright I refer to them as deer melters!

criminaldesign
    Went to the international show in cleveland today and scored an EFX HID kit for a $100.

Should arrive mid week and see how these puppies work.