Thread: Prescription eye glasses vs. contacts

Hybrid View

Prescription eye glasses vs. contacts

The cooler temperatures are approaching...

I wear prescription eye glasses and I am tired of my glasses fogging up and/or moving in my helmet. I am thinking about seeing if I can wear a pair of contacts instead of having to mess with wearing a pair of glasses under the helmet.

I would like to hear the pros and cons about wearing contacts. I have never worn a pair of contacts before.

Has anyone switched from prescription eye glasses to contacts? Was it a good choice?

I am sure it is ymmv... I just like to hear other people's thoughts or experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwgsrider View Post
    The cooler temperatures are approaching...

I wear prescription eye glasses and I am tired of my glasses fogging up and/or moving in my helmet. I am thinking about seeing if I can wear a pair of contacts instead of having to mess with wearing a pair of glasses under the helmet.

I would like to hear the pros and cons about wearing contacts. I have never worn a pair of contacts before.

Has anyone switched from prescription eye glasses to contacts? Was it a good choice?

I am sure it is ymmv... I just like to hear other people's thoughts or experiences.

Thanks in advance.
    I loved my contacts until I had to go the bifocal route. I did find I had to keep my shield closed or wear sunglasses to keep the airflow from drying them.
    Most eye docs will give you a 30 day trial to see if they work out for you, give it a shot.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

DavidBMWRT

take your glasses along

take your glasses along

until you get use to contacts they can (and will) fold up, usually at 80 mph in traffic, leaving you blind as a bat. But other wise, cantacts are the only way to go.

contacts

If you're correcting for short sightedness, you may, depending on your age, need glasses for reading, when wearing your contacts.

If you do get contacts, pay careful attention to your optometrist's advice about wearing them for extended periods of time.

Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    If you're correcting for short sightedness, you may, depending on your age, need glasses for reading, when wearing your contacts.

If you do get contacts, pay careful attention to your optometrist's advice about wearing them for extended periods of time.

Rinty
    Very good point. I think the extended wear (leave the contacts in for a week or two) are not very popular any more as people developed eye problems.

I switched many years ago, and contacts continue to get better and easier to wear all the time. I love mine, especially in the winter!
    Dan

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    I've worn them since I was 16...I wear extended wear, meaning I take them out every couple of weeks. I could not imagine camping with the hastle of taking them out every night, plus I can't see anything with out them.

You add a bottle of drops to your things to bring with you. I pack an extra lens when I travel, I don't bring my glasses. I've never lost a lens.

If you have the right kind for you...you'll never know they are in.

Costs me about $150 year for lenses, almost nothing for paraphernalia.
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Nut brain solution...

Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer View Post
    I've worn them since I was 16...I wear extended wear, meaning I take them out every couple of weeks. I could not imagine camping with the hastle of taking them out every night, plus I can't see anything with out them.

You add a bottle of drops to your things to bring with you. I pack an extra lens when I travel, I don't bring my glasses. I've never lost a lens.

Since I now have graduated from the university of almost blind (UAB) I have graduated into tri focals; I have opted not to do the contact lense thing, plus touching the eyeball eeeeeeueeeee! Not me. I considered it, but cant go there...

I have some non-fog spray I got at the Yearly motorcycle show that works pretty good, and I always leave my visor open to keep the fog on the lenses low. The other trick is sort of a nutty trick, but it helps:When it is really cold out and fogging is an issue, I do my best to hold my breath at stop lights. Laugh if you want, I can really hold my breath for a long time; the secret is to let it out s-l-o-w-l-y after resuming travel.

I warned you it is a nut case thing to do, but WTH it works for me!

Red

Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer View Post

I have to wear gas permeable (hard) lenses and have to take them out every night. I love them for riding. When camping I carry a small white towel with me to put down for taking them out because like Gail I can't see without them. If they drop they don't bounce and are easy to find on the towel. Just carry lens case and small bottle of solution.
    The most important thing about contacts is following your doctors instructions and keeping them clean.

So check with your eye doctor and see what works for you. You will not regret it. It also gives you lots of options for sunglasses.
    USN Retired
    '02 R1150 RT

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwgsrider View Post
    They don't work for everyone. I have way too much astigmatism.

I keep a bottle of Fog Tech in the tankbag to deal with fogging glasses in the winter. It works.

http://www.fogtech.com/fogtech.html
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

After nearly 30 years with glasses, I got LASIK.

I never could get used to contacts. The best luck I ever had was with semi-hard lenses (which these days are considered hard). I never could get used to the high maintenance of soft lenses. What as PITA. So, after my mid-20s I gave up and wore glasses. They fogged a bit on the motorcycle, but I just kept my screen a bit open.

These days I'm prescription free. I had LASIK done in November of 1997 and so far so good. My eyes have gotten a tiny bit more near sighted in the last few years, but I'm still okay for keeping that dreaded "needs prescription lenses" mark off my license!

If you're eligible as a LASIK candidate I highly recommend it. Its a life changer. I had coke-bottle thick lenses from the time I was eight years old and was truly helpless without them. My vision was literally off the old fashioned 20/20 scale because I couldn't see the top line. Without my glasses I simply couldn't function. I'm now corrected to around 20/30 to 20/35 (if you use that old scale) with far less astigmatism. BTW, in most states 20/40 passes for your driver's license. Its such a joy to go swimming, walk in the rain, exercise, etc...., without glasses.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

Walmart sells prescription glasses for motorcycle riding. They have the foam around the inside. I have had them for about a year now and they're great. Oh and the best pert is they were about $130 with polarized prescription lenses.

Brian