Thread: Can any Canon EOS Xti owners help me?

advrider.com

Can any Canon EOS Xti owners help me?

So, I got a great deal on a near-mint condition Xti. The previous owner took about 500 pics. No issue.

I took about 30 pictures to start to get familiar with the camera. I transferred them to my computer. I went to my shop and started taking pics of my R90 project. Then, the camera screen said something like "Card Error" and when I go to view the pics, it says the card's empty. I turn it off/on, take out the card, put it back in, and it just says the same error.

What's the problem?

stealthrider
    Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    So, I got a great deal on a near-mint condition Xti. The previous owner took about 500 pics. No issue.

I took about 30 pictures to start to get familiar with the camera. I transferred them to my computer. I went to my shop and started taking pics of my R90 project. Then, the camera screen said something like "Card Error" and when I go to view the pics, it says the card's empty. I turn it off/on, take out the card, put it back in, and it just says the same error.

What's the problem?

Try another card... They're electronic devices and do fail.. If that doesn't work it will most likely have to be sent to the cannon service center..

advrider.com
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthrider View Post
    Try another card... They're electronic devices and do fail.. If that doesn't work it will most likely have to be sent to the cannon service center..
    I don't have another card on me. I'll see if I can try a friends.

The local camera guru's shop said it'd be $15 to diagnose it and who-knows-how-much to repair whatever might be wrong.

So, we'll see..

stealthrider
    Being a Nikon guy I'm not sure what the going rate is on a Cannon repair.. But it seems the minimum for a Nikon is $125... Hope it's the card....

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Be careful of how you download the card. Some utilities erase images as you download them. If you have already downloaded the images then nothing is lost.

Put card back in camera and use the camera to format the card. Everything should then be A-0K.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    There are various media card rescue utilities out there, but if you don't care about the images on the card, I agree with Paul. Use the camera to reformat the card.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Assume that it's a card failure. They do fail on occasion.
    And cards are cheap.

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    ask the previous owner if this was happening, and is that why s/he bailed on the camera? 1st step, try another card. Good luck
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

camera help

Nathan:

This just happened to me with an Olympus Stylus. I took the camera in to my local shop that services professionals and keen amateurs. They displayed all the pictures on a screen they had, and found a picture that didn't belong there (I think it was a stock picture). After deleting it, the camera was fine. They didn't charge me because we're regular customers (that's why I prefer dealing locally, as opposed to buying over the internet.)

But try reformatting the card.

Rinty

advrider.com
    The card was formatted, replaced with others, etc.

In the process, it was determined that the 2 of the CF card pins inside the camera were missing, and 1 more was bent. That was enough to make this problem persistent.

So, $250 and 1 month later, I have my camera back. Canon replaced the pins, and it's worked flawlessly since.