Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Enough is Enough:

Does it have to cost $1500? I drool over the $400 Nolan helmets. But does one provide more protection to my dome than the $149 HJC CL-15 I have? It's DOT and SNELL rated. I have a First Gear armored jacket I bought from New Enough on closeout for $49, Field Sheer riding boots from eBay for $79 and Joe Rocket gloves I picked up for $5.00. If and when I spend $100 for a pair of textile armored over pants, will this stuff provide me less protection than a $1000 suit?[/QUOTE]

I don't think the listed items above will provide less protection. I too have at one time used just about all of the above. I did find that they just don't last as long. Cheap zippers, cheaper materials etc. My solution was to buy as mush used gear as possible. There are lots of good deals out there. Just start with the flea market and you will see what I mean. I could buy new, but I'm just to cheap.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

2-up and havin' fun sugarhillctd's Avatar
    Last year when we bought this BMW (our first)- a 15 Y.O. K1100RS, I sent away for the BMW clothing catalog. First bad sign was when the prices are separate from the catalog. BMW branded clothing may be high quality but those prices are nuts!

This is my first year back riding after 20 years away. So combine improved products with 20 years of $$ inflation and I have some serious sticker shock.

We have shopped around and are both ATGATT with middle quality gear. The best there is? Not quite. But I am comfortable with our level of protection. Question is, how much is too much for our protection? $1000, $2000, $5000, or more....??

Would I like an Aerostich suit? Sure. Given that the K was my only transportation this Summer, maybe it is worth it. But with 2 kids in college this year, no.

But you are right, many prices sure seem outrageous.
    John & Cathy
    '92 K100RS (gone- '04 R1100S Boxer Cup)
    '12 Suzuki DRZ400
    ("kid's" bikes) '02 Kaw ZX6R- Jen's '07 Duc 800ss- Johnnie's

Sometimes the extral $$$'s you pay are for additional features, not necessarily greater protection. Is that worth it? Maybe, some of those additional features are pretty darn nice.

For helmets, I'm thinking venting, ease of replacing a shield, removable/washable liner, etc.

For a jacket, I'm thinking about pockets, venting, liner, zippers, etc.

I could go on for gloves and boots.

Using Aerostich as an example, they have top notch customer service, and a good product. Is customer service important to you? If so, then that's part of what you're paying for.

The same goes for other riding gear. I bought a HJC CL-15 last year as my "interim" helmet after my Nolan sustained a severe blow. It was 6 years old anyway. I picked up the HJC because it was relatively inexpensive, and it fits my head perfectly. It doesn't vent near as well as my Nolan did, and frankly, is almost as noisy. But, it's DOT and SNELL rated, so I'm fairly confident it would protect my head as well in a fall. So, from a protection standpoint, I'm OK, but feature-wise, I got what I paid for.

Just something to think about.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

I got back into riding in 2004, and I went looking for a good set of gear. Unfortunately, none of the off the shelf sizes worked. I have long legs and even the long sizes were too short. So, I had some gear custom made by Motoport. Expensive stuff, but at least it fits and its comfortable. So, I would say it's money well spent. I later tried on the Rally Pro 2 pants, and they fit. So, I bought the jacket as well. This was another expensive suit, but I think it was worth it.

Also, just because all helmets are DOT approved does not mean they will all preform equally in an accident. DOT just provides minimum standards. Many many manufactures exceed those standards. And, there are no standards for pants, jackets etc. I had a pair of Joe Rocket pants that got torn up when I dropped my bike about 10 MPH. I don't mind spending money on good gear that will save my hide.

My attitude is that the cost of the suit is kind of an insurance policy. The suit is way cheaper than the medical costs if you get injured. Granted the gear wont prevent all injuries, but the proper gear can at least minimize the injuries.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

2-up and havin' fun sugarhillctd's Avatar
    ***Sorry for the temporary hijack.***

Jeff,

Curious about what you do for a rainsuit.

My inseam is 36. I have not been able to find any rainsuit with legs longer than 34 inches at best- and once I sit down in a 34 it is at my boot tops.

Any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks,
    John
    John & Cathy
    '92 K100RS (gone- '04 R1100S Boxer Cup)
    '12 Suzuki DRZ400
    ("kid's" bikes) '02 Kaw ZX6R- Jen's '07 Duc 800ss- Johnnie's

Quote Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
    Sometimes the extra cost...
    Yes but, when an item costs $20 to make, imagine how much better it will be for $40...an extra $20, yet retail works out to an extra $500.

Lets not forget that "extra" cost in buying up here...on top of that extra cost you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarHillCTD View Post
    ***Sorry for the temporary hijack.***

Jeff,

Curious about what you do for a rainsuit.

My inseam is 36. I have not been able to find any rainsuit with legs longer than 34 inches at best- and once I sit down in a 34 it is at my boot tops.

Any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks,
    John
    Well I don't ride much in the rain, but the BMW rain suit pants fit me. I don't remember off hand their official name. I seem to have plenty of boot coverage.

With regards to inseam, you have me beat. My biggest problem has been the placement of the knee armor. I must have really long thighs. The thigh length on most pants (even the "long" versions) are too short and back pressure on the knee armor is unbearable after a few hours. But, that's probably more than you wanted to know.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

I've learned - you buy the good stuff once, the crap repeatedly.

My first RoadCrafter lasted me about 14 years - cost $800. Still wearable, but looking a bit worn, and somehow parts of it shrunk over the winter. Cost per year - less than $50.

My new RoadCrafter cost about $1,000 - but that's entirely custom sizing, sleeves, legs, gut, waist - all custom sized for me. It fits wonderfully and makes me look almost human. If I get 14 years from it I'll be very happy (and very old).

I've never tested the crashworthyness, and don't intend to - but I feel better knowing it's there. Same thing on a Shuburth helmet (I'm on my 4th over the course of about 18 years now..) It's the best I could get - does what I want - makes me happy when I wear it - so it's worth every penny.

I'll repeat what I said - you buy the good stuff once - that's what makes it worth the price paid. (And RoadCrafter/RiderWarehouse/AeroStich products are made in the USA - sez so right inside it. That's worth something to me also.)

No Ferrari's in the garage..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post

My first RoadCrafter lasted me about 14 years - cost $800. Still wearable, but looking a bit worn, and somehow parts of it shrunk over the winter. Cost per year - less than $50.

My new RoadCrafter cost about $1,000 - but that's entirely custom sizing, sleeves, legs, gut, waist - all custom sized for me. It fits wonderfully and makes me look almost human. If I get 14 years from it I'll be very happy (and very old).

I've never tested the crashworthyness, and don't intend to - but I feel better knowing it's there. Same thing on a Shuburth helmet (I'm on my 4th over the course of about 18 years now..) It's the best I could get - does what I want - makes me happy when I wear it - so it's worth every penny.

I'll repeat what I said - you buy the good stuff once - that's what makes it worth the price paid. (And RoadCrafter/RiderWarehouse/AeroStich products are made in the USA - sez so right inside it. That's worth something to me also.)

Don,

I wouldn't dismiss everything that's not "the good stuff" as "crap". Some of it surely is, but I'm sure there's a lot of gear out there that is as good as, or nearly as good as your favorite brand, it just isn't "custom fitted".
    We have our own criteria for choosing gear. Some people can't afford to buy a fourteen-plus-year suit, but can buy new, safe gear a couple times over during the same time frame. Some may want to update style, color, or size in less time than that. Some want gear they won't feel bad about ruining and having to replace gear if they fall down, as long as it does it's job and protects them.
    Some people just don't want to look like a fire engine wearing a snowmobile suit.
    There's a lot of confusing information out there now about what's safer than what now, especially concerning helmets, so it's really up to the buyer to decide what they want to believe at this point. Personally, I'll stick with my Arai helmet, simply as a matter of personal preference. I can afford it (and afford to replace it as needed) because I wear mostly non-Aerostitch gear from the neck down. It all fits just fine, and I feel safe in it.
    I ride Beemers for the same reason, personal preference. I certainly don't consider them "the good stuff" and the rest "crap", and their price differential is nowhere near as wide as the one between Aerostitch and everyone else.

Bob
    P.S. I try to buy American too, but we are both riding German bikes, aren't we?

Quote Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
    I destroyed $1500 worth of new riding gear last week. Yes it was worth every penny as it kept my hide intact.

I don't mind paying more for function. I won't pay more for something just for the right look or to wear the right lable. Not that style isn't a factor, its just not the top of the list.
    +1 The gear is cheaper than the ER. That airflow mesh melts at 850 degrees. BMW has specs for it's armor. Buy the gear, then the bike. It works, It's nice to be standing unhurt cussing at your totaled R1150GS. Did I mention that the sleeve on the airflow jacket was melted on the asphalt?
    robert

Quote Originally Posted by 108625 View Post
    Don,

I wouldn't dismiss everything that's not "the good stuff" as "crap". Some of it surely is, but I'm sure there's a lot of gear out there that is as good as, or nearly as good as your favorite brand, it just isn't "custom fitted".
    Bob,

You seem to be assuming I rate "good stuff" by price. I don't. But I've found what works well for a long time is sometimes more costly than other choices, and sometimes not (Hella lights vs PIAA for instance..)

My response was to the original posting, which seem to be a lament about the cost of some riding gear. My basic response is - some of us find the cost vs value to be worth it to us, and we buy the more expensive stuff 'cause it works for us. In my case - I don't like buying stuff, so I try to do it as infrequently as possible - long term satisfaction is a big factor in my decisions on what to buy for gear.
    We have our own criteria for choosing gear. Some people can't afford to buy a fourteen-plus-year suit, but can buy new, safe gear a couple times over during the same time frame.
    Or they can visit the fleamarket and find people who outgrew their more expensive gear and are selling it. There are some wonderful buys there. RiderWarehouse also has a discount section where lots of the good stuff shows up at a substancial discount. It won't be custom fitted - but if it fits, it's a great buy.

I know of no other gear manufacturer who will custom fit riding gear (at least textile, it's possible some custom leathers places may) - and to get a suit that fits me (think the Penguin in Batman movie sorta shape) - I really have no other choice.

Some may want to update style, color, or size in less time than that.
    I have no illusions that style and color will help how I look.. size - well, mine seem to grow tight somehow.. so that is a valid consideration. The thing is - the good stuff often has an excellent resale value, so if you decide the style, color or size isn't working for you - you can resell it for a good portion of what it cost you, making it long term - less expensive than the less expensive stuff (does that make any sense? )

Some want gear they won't feel bad about ruining and having to replace gear if they fall down, as long as it does it's job and protects them.
    Rider Warehouse is one of the few (if not only) protective clothing vendors I know who offers a repair service for their gear. BMW gear - you're outta luck. Dunno on companies like Roadgear and such (who make some excellent gear.. just doesn't fit me..) I've never seen any other company advertise repairs/alternations.

Some people just don't want to look like a fire engine wearing a snowmobile suit.
    Whooohoooo.. low blow there.. have you seen me? Fire "engine"? Whooo.. (just kidding I know what you meant to type..)

There's a lot of confusing information out there now about what's safer than what now, especially concerning helmets, so it's really up to the buyer to decide what they want to believe at this point. Personally, I'll stick with my Arai helmet, simply as a matter of personal preference. I can afford it (and afford to replace it as needed) because I wear mostly non-Aerostitch gear from the neck down. It all fits just fine, and I feel safe in it.
    Arai is one of the top-tier and top price helmets - no argument if it works for you. I used to use Nolan helmets, moderate price and great value for the $$$, until I was able to get the Schuburth Concept helmets - better fit and better functionality for me.

I ride Beemers for the same reason, personal preference. I certainly don't consider them "the good stuff" and the rest "crap", and their price differential is nowhere near as wide as the one between Aerostitch and everyone else.

Bob
    P.S. I try to buy American too, but we are both riding German bikes, aren't we?
    Your point? Given the choice of US made gear and things made in China - I'll try to buy the US made gear if it works for me.

I think it's important to remember - what I expressed were only my opinions. Feel free to ignore them - most people do. It's really a case of YMMV and what fit and works for you - probably doesn't fit me (pear shaped, not fire-engine shaped..)

Have a great day!
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Can't Grow It?? Mow it!! bullit7801's Avatar
    Lincoln, NE; Flat, Boring & Windy Great Plains

My first Roadcrafter 2-piece suit lasted me 16 years and about 200,000 miles. With some repair, it could probably be used again, but I bought a new one piece last fall. I stop by the factory in Duluth for the 10% discount, but it still is about $800. Is it worth it? YES!!!

I have been down in the suit twice. My famous pig sh*t slide in 94 did over $2,000 damage to my almost new K100RS ABS. I was fine. Not even a bruise. Good gear lasts long and is well worth the price. I don't mind letting Andy make some $$ from me because he sells a superior product. And I am known for being CHEAP.

tb
    Tom "Bullit" Buttars
    Ambassador
    1978 R100RS, 2006 F650GS, 2007 F800S

RK Ryder
    I know of no other gear manufacturer who will custom fit riding gear (at least textile, it's possible some custom leathers places may) - and to get a suit that fits me (think the Penguin in Batman movie sorta shape) - I really have no other choice.
    Cycleport (Motoport) riding gear is made customized to your measurements.

I've never seen any other company advertise repairs/alternations.
    I know that when I needed a replacement zipper, Cycleport had no problems doing that gratis, even though the jacket was out of warranty. If I am not mistaken, they will also rebuild parts of your riding gear if necessary.

When it comes to quality in a riding suit, I am in agreement with Don. You never know when it is going to be needed. When I had a low sided slide at 30 mph on a gravel Colorado road last summer, I had no damage to me and a very slight scrapping on the Cycleport pants. I have worn this pricey Kevlar gear for three seasons and anticipate from its current condition that it has a lot more years of riding to be had. If I make seven more years, it will have cost only about $100 a year; even less if it makes it to Don's Roadcrafter ride of 14 years, which is very possible.

Yes motorcycling accessories often do seem to be pricey, but when it comes to protecting myself for a possible painful skin scrapping/removal and bruising, I feel more comfortable buying what I think is going to give me the best protection regardless of the price. As Don mentioned, there are other options available for riders; it is an individual's choice of the gear they buy and where they buy it; bargains can be had if you shop around.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

shire2000
    I don't think that the price of gear should have anything to do with quality. There is lots of "less expensive" gear that will do the job it is meant to do just fine. And there is lots of very expensive gear that is no better unless you like paying for an exclusive name.

Yes, good quality armour and materials like kevlar are a good thing and you should look to buy the best "quality" that you can afford. But there is no reason to pay extremely high prices for the equal quality. Now, if you think that just having the BMW name on your jacket, pants or helmet makes it better quality, then go ahead and pay the extra money for it. On the other hand, if you find any item that has the same quality of protection and it fits you well, for less money. Why would you pay more?

Myself, I tried very hard to find a helmet that fits me well. After trying on just about every brand I could find, I found the HJC fit my weird shaped head well and gives me the protection and comfort that I like. There are lots that came close, but none fit as well. The same goes for my boots and gloves. As to my jacket and pants, I could not find what I wanted so had some custom made leathers tailored to fit. And they cost me way less than most of the so called "high end" stuff on the market. The manufacturer has been making custom leather pants and jackets for over 50 years and knows exactly what is needed for protection as well as comfort. Their pricing is extremely reasonable. Current pricing is $700 for the pair, in just about any colour you can think of, but you have to go to Montreal to be fitted.

In some ways it comes down to doing a little reasearch and finding what works best for you. Just because someone else buys something and finds it works well for them does not mean it will work well for you. None of us have the same size and shape of body, and we have to always consider our pocketbook.

In most cases it is not "You get what you pay for". Sure there is cheap crap out there, but there is also way over priced crap as well. A simple example are some boots I purchased that are the classic "Engineer" style. I happened to be travelling thru Ohio and came across a boot manufacturer outlet store. Found these nice boots that fit well and was talking to the sales staff. Found that they also make the same boots for Harley Davidson. The only difference is the little metal Harley Davidson logo on the side, and the price. $100 without the logo, $250 with the logo. Hmmmm. Which ones would you buy? 8 years later those boots still fit fine and do what I expect them to do.

IMHO, you have do not have to follow all the trends. Get what works best for you.

Yeah cuz you spent it all on riding gear!

Which is actually what I'd prob'ly do too if I had the choice.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad