Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Enough is Enough:

Hybrid View

Enough is Enough:

Ok first off let me begin by saying, I have no problem paying more for a better quality piece of equipment. I do ride a BMW afterall. I don't usually try to put a price on my safety or the safety of my passengers be it my Wife or children.
    I want to hear from you, your thoughts about the prices on some of the crap we buy to keep ourselves safe, warm, dry, cool or just some goofy gadget we found in the back of some magazine. Some of the prices for things specifically riding gear are completely ridiculous!! I love the BMW airflow pants and jacket but are they really worth 800 bucks? Is an Aerostich suit worth a thousand dollars? I would just like to hear what you all think. I know that some of you are fairly affluent even if you refuse to say it, but even those of you with a ferrari in the garage must say to yourselves DAMN that is crazy expensive from time to time. Or am I just a tight Bastage?

Kelly

I destroyed $1500 worth of new riding gear last week. Yes it was worth every penny as it kept my hide intact.

I don't mind paying more for function. I won't pay more for something just for the right look or to wear the right lable. Not that style isn't a factor, its just not the top of the list.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Quote Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
    I destroyed $1500 worth of new riding gear last week. Yes it was worth every penny as it kept my hide intact.
    I don't necessarily think that the OP was implying it was not worth keeping yourself or your rider safe. But I think my question would be thus:

Does it have to cost $1500? I drool over the $400 Nolan helmets. But does one provide more protection to my dome than the $149 HJC CL-15 I have? It's DOT and SNELL rated. I have a First Gear armored jacket I bought from New Enough on closeout for $49, Field Sheer riding boots from eBay for $79 and Joe Rocket gloves I picked up for $5.00. If and when I spend $100 for a pair of textile armored over pants, will this stuff provide me less protection than a $1000 suit?
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

Does it have to cost $1500? I drool over the $400 Nolan helmets. But does one provide more protection to my dome than the $149 HJC CL-15 I have? It's DOT and SNELL rated. I have a First Gear armored jacket I bought from New Enough on closeout for $49, Field Sheer riding boots from eBay for $79 and Joe Rocket gloves I picked up for $5.00. If and when I spend $100 for a pair of textile armored over pants, will this stuff provide me less protection than a $1000 suit?[/QUOTE]

I don't think the listed items above will provide less protection. I too have at one time used just about all of the above. I did find that they just don't last as long. Cheap zippers, cheaper materials etc. My solution was to buy as mush used gear as possible. There are lots of good deals out there. Just start with the flea market and you will see what I mean. I could buy new, but I'm just to cheap.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post

I don't mind paying more for function. I won't pay more for something just for the right look or to wear the right lable. Not that style isn't a factor, its just not the top of the list.
    +1 The gear is cheaper than the ER. That airflow mesh melts at 850 degrees. BMW has specs for it's armor. Buy the gear, then the bike. It works, It's nice to be standing unhurt cussing at your totaled R1150GS. Did I mention that the sleeve on the airflow jacket was melted on the asphalt?
    robert

Colorado High Country glennhendricks's Avatar

I try to buy wisely

I've bought two jackets, riding pants, boots and two pairs of gloves in the past year.

One jacket was $250, Olympic Air mesh. The other was $150 or so for a 3/4 length Tour Master jacket, $150 for Tour Master pants and around $120 for Tour Master boots.

I'm happy with the gear, it is comfortable, armored, waterproof and serves my needs.

I wouldn't pay a grand for a suit but that's me.

I paid $800 for an Aerostitch Darien jacket and pants outfit. Thankfully, I never tested its crash-worthiness, but I also wore it for about 150K miles. The only reason I stopped wearing it was because I wanted something different. Did I get my money's worth out of the jacket? I think so. It's still in my closet and ready when I want to wear it again.
    '12 K1600 GT

What is it you intend to do with your one wild and precious life? - Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by ARValkguy View Post
    Ok first off let me begin by saying, I have no problem paying more for a better quality piece of equipment. I do ride a BMW afterall. I don't usually try to put a price on my safety or the safety of my passengers be it my Wife or children.
    I want to hear from you, your thoughts about the prices on some of the crap we buy to keep ourselves safe, warm, dry, cool or just some goofy gadget we found in the back of some magazine. Some of the prices for things specifically riding gear are completely ridiculous!! I love the BMW airflow pants and jacket but are they really worth 800 bucks? Is an Aerostich suit worth a thousand dollars? I would just like to hear what you all think. I know that some of you are fairly affluent even if you refuse to say it, but even those of you with a ferrari in the garage must say to yourselves DAMN that is crazy expensive from time to time. Or am I just a tight Bastage?

Kelly

How about the price of foot peg lowering blocks???
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

Quote Originally Posted by ARValkguy View Post
    I want to hear from you, your thoughts about the prices on some of the crap we buy to keep ourselves safe, warm, dry, cool or just some goofy gadget we found in the back of some magazine. Some of the prices for things specifically riding gear are completely ridiculous!!
    If nobody paid the prices, they would most certainly be slashed and they'd still make a very healthy profit. Ever wonder how MSRP can be cut by 20% or more...huge mark-ups!!!

Did you know that is costed $2.50 to make a pair of Nikes (in the news)...yet people pay over a $100 for them and if you knew what the salary of a Nike employee was, you'd wonder who was making all the money.

As for gear, just about all of it is made where labor is dirt cheap. I doubt most riding jacket or pants run more than $20 to make and I'm being generous.

So the best thing to do is stretch the number of years you get out of your riding gear. I get well over 10 years out of mine.

Remember, when you part with a buck, it ends up in someone else's pocket and the rich get richer.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    if you knew what the salary of a Nike employee was, you'd wonder who was making all the money.
    Tiger Woods Nike contracts:
    1996 $40MM
    2001 $100MM
    2006 not disclosed new deal worth well north of $100MM

Dave
    BMWMOA #120588
    MyWebsite
    Current Stable:
    '06 R12GSA, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead

Somehow the cost of the gear I have bought over my motorcycling days does not bother me as much as some vendors handling & shipping fees.

I recently bought a cellphone adapter cord for my chatterbox 50 that cost $24.99. The shipping & handling was $12.02. It came to me in a medium sized envelope???

This is one of the reasons that I like to attend the national rally, no shiping & handling fees on top of the list price of the item (so far as I can tell) It's also nice to be able to try on and hold in your hand something that you are about to shell out some hard earned bucks for.

I wont do business with companies that make money on shipping. I've sold plenty of stuff on the internet and know that COST of shipment STILL depends on the item size and weight and there are ways NOT to screw the consumer on it.

A couple of years ago, I got an emailed link from my niece and nephew for their school fundraiser with Innisbruck. Could order stuff from them with the money going to their school.
    So I did. A little bit from each. Couple rolls of paper and something else. Total cost was probably $20. Shipping totalled $25. I was BULL TIHS! I fired off an email to the company and got the standard "Oh we have minimums, weights, blah blah blah." I will never buy anything from them again. Told my brother that I will GLADLY send the money directly to their school before I give it to that company again.
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

Quote Originally Posted by amiles View Post
    Somehow the cost of the gear I have bought over my motorcycling days does not bother me as much as some vendors handling & shipping fees.

I recently bought a cellphone adapter cord for my chatterbox 50 that cost $24.99. The shipping & handling was $12.02. It came to me in a medium sized envelope???

This is one of the reasons that I like to attend the national rally, no shiping & handling fees on top of the list price of the item (so far as I can tell) It's also nice to be able to try on and hold in your hand something that you are about to shell out some hard earned bucks for.
    S&H has become a new profit center for most businesses.

As an example, I wanted a plastic plug that fit the brake reservoir on my sailboat trailer. S&H was more that the part. Asked them to mail it at cost. They answered that they "can not" mail a part to me.

Ordered it at the local auto parts store and saved $13.00 in S&H!!!!!!
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

Prices Are Too High

I think many items are priced too high. A contributing reason is that many marketers are inefficient.

When you buy clothing, you are also paying for all the small sizes and real large they never sell. It burns me up when I go in a store and find no large shirts, but 5 medium and 8 small shirts. My wife get frustrated when she can't find a size 8 or 9. The rack will be full of 4 - 7 and 10-14. I rarely find 8-9 shoes while there are plenty of 6-7 or 10-12. Instead of buying 6,6,6,6,6 of things, they need to buy 2,6,24,6,2 of things.

When Cadillac advertises a CTS on TV it is always a RED ONE. Go to the dealer and they will have a ton of silver, white, and tan ones, but no red. Many of them will be part of the year end clearance.

I have a friend who sells Fords. For the last two years I have asked him about how are the Hybrid sales doing? His answer is that Ford cannot provide them with the Hybrids, so they don't sell many of them. Ford is pushing the Trucks and SUVs.

I am trying to buy an Extra Large motorcycle cover at Walmart (for my R1100RT). They have over 20 Large size covers (wont fit), but the Extra Large spaces on the shelves are empty and have been for over 6 weeks. I am still waiting.

So since they are all so messed up, they make it up by charging and arm and a leg for what does sell.
    Last edited by RJM2096; 09-26-2008 at 06:08 PM.
    Rob Mayes
    www.cyclecranks.com | 2000 BMW R1100RT (Current) | 2000 HD DynaWide Glide (Current)
    1985 Honda Magna V-65 | 1970 Norton Commando | 1966 Triumph Chopper | 1962 Honda 125 Sport

15. 09-26-2008, 06:03 PM