Thread: Going to N.C

RAUB60

Talking Going to N.C

I'm leaving next Wed., Oct.1 from Detroit, to North Carolina. My son is getting back from Afghanistan so my bother and I are riding down for a visit. Looking for a good route. Any suggestions?

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by raub60 View Post
    I'm leaving next Wed., Oct.1 from Detroit, to North Carolina. My son is getting back from Afghanistan so my bother and I are riding down for a visit. Looking for a good route. Any suggestions?
    Most roads from the WV boarder to NC.

What do you like, sweepers, tight twisty, direct route, or time to kill and where in NC?

k75sprint
    Any route that takes you out of Michigan is an excellent route! Have fun.

Eastern Ohio has some nice secondary roads that will make the smiles last. I think I've heard that OH-555 is a great road. Kentucky has a choice of good slabs or wonderful secondary roads, it all depends on time. If you make it to Tennessee, you should go by the '09 National Rally Site in Gray. If you do that, you can take US-321 out of Gray, or travel NE to get on US-421. They call that road "the Snake", and I found the section between Mountain City and Boone a real fun ride. Either routes will end you up in Boone, NC, a nice mountain college town with a lot of good roads all around it. NC 105 and 181 are good, fun roads that would get you to Morganton, and a connection with I-40. If you are headed to Ft. Bragg, go east on 40 until it meets I-95, then go south to Fayettevile. If you are going to Camp Lejeune, head east on I-40 till Newton Grove, then take NC 55 east, and take a combination of NC secondary roads (111,903,41,50,53) for all sorts of routes to Jacksonville. If you are headed to Seymour Johnson AFB or Cherry Point MCAS, get off on US 70 and cruise.
    Onward, through the fog!

Check out any of the following across West Virginia: US 50, US 33, US 250. Then pick up the Skyline Drive / Blu Ridge Parkway between Front Royal VA and Cherokee, NC. Colors should be starting. How much time do you have to get there and what is your final destination?

Give him a big "Welcome Home!" form all of us.
    Bob Smith
    '98 R1200C
    '80 XS850 Special
    '05 Rocket III