Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hi Viz

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabird View Post
    My reaction to the pulsating headlight is usually an involuntary anger. I don't know why, but I suspect I am not the only one. On a more logical level, I think it makes it harder to judge distance and speed of the bike. They used to be illegal in some states; I don't know if they still are.
    I have one. Yes, legal in all 50 states and Canada. It gets the attention of other drivers and occasionally they will flash their lights. I just give them a polite wave knowing that they saw me. I do turn it off when sitting in traffic to not continually flash the driver in front of me.

I also wear a high vis, Olympic AST jacket and have added flashing LED's to my brake circuit. When touring I use bright orange dry bags for my gear. I believe that visibility is the best defense. If a modulating headlight irritates a driver, at least he sees you.

Last week I rode behind my buddy and he had just bought a new Olympia vest. Made a great difference both day and night. Reflective material on back just glowed when my head light was on it.

Great safety addition at little cost.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by dswilliams47 View Post
    It gets the attention of other drivers and occasionally they will flash their lights.
    Maybe they're signalling you to turn the thing off?
    '12 K1600 GT

What is it you intend to do with your one wild and precious life? - Mary Oliver

+1 on the Vision vests. First time T saw one on the road, I could hardly believe how well it stood out against everything else out there.

Also installed a yellow headlight bulb as suggested on web bike world. Helps me stand out in a sea of blue-white lights.

Agree those headlight flashers are highly annoying, especially when the owner is using them on an offroad only light. How do you say blinded in broad daylight?

Just ordered a new white helmet, too.
    -jwk-

1978 R80/7

Conspicuity brand vest with that crazy lime-green stripe even over the jacket w bits of reflecto mat'l on it. Also SOLAS tape from aerostich wearhouse on the backs of my saddle bags. I also have a couple stripes of SOLAS on the back of my helm' and as a sun visor on the top of my face shield.

High beam during daylight hours( no on seems to mind), low beam after dark. also means the high burns out first, so in a pinch, before you get a chance to replace the bulb, you've still got low beam day and night.
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

WmsJC12GSA

Thumbs up ICON Mil-spec vest

I have one of these -- it is comfortable, has lots of reflective panels and is very visible. I can wear it zipped or unzipped, and it does not flap. They are relatively inexpensive, and are of good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by dswilliams47 View Post
    I have one. Yes, legal in all 50 states and Canada. It gets the attention of other drivers and occasionally they will flash their lights. I just give them a polite wave knowing that they saw me. I do turn it off when sitting in traffic to not continually flash the driver in front of me.

I also wear a high vis, Olympic AST jacket and have added flashing LED's to my brake circuit. When touring I use bright orange dry bags for my gear. I believe that visibility is the best defense. If a modulating headlight irritates a driver, at least he sees you.
    Almost the same gear here. I found lime-yellow vests on Ebay a few years ago, I'm still wearing the first one I ordered and it still stands out. The modulated light might annoy some folks if it is aimed too high. I run mine all the time unless I'm sitting in traffic or at a light. I have had some drivers pull over for me, usually people from Pennsylvania.

THANKS, a good thread:)

Good mark. I have been of the same mind in recent months, after a life long adventure aboard bikes and still safe, BUT. The vests have been around quite a long while now and I'm getting wiser with age and will do this soon too. My wife too. Many great links here and ideas. The white helmet too has been a very old idea, always thought to be a positive marker. Headlights(strobing) are not my thing either, but several are seen every year by me, although they seem to be not too popular. I always wonder how long the bulbs last doing this, but maybe its not hard on bulbs? Anyhow, I enjoyed this thread and THX, Randy

DPRYAN
    Yep, good thread! Sort of like preaching to the converted, but hey....it's always good to reinforce good habits.

After I'd been back riding for a year or so, and starting to replace all the cheap, ineffective gear I'd bought , it made sense to me to make myself (and the bike) as visible as possible. I figured if I was going to wear a once-piece Roadcrafter I might as well go all the way on the geek scale and get a hi-viz one

Latest helmet purchase was solid yellow, and the bikes have plenty of black 3M on the hardbags

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    ... Headlights(strobing) are not my thing either, but several are seen every year by me, although they seem to be not too popular. I always wonder how long the bulbs last doing this, but maybe its not hard on bulbs? Anyhow, I enjoyed this thread and THX, Randy
    As far as I know headlight modulators will not degrade the longevity of a bulb. One reason you might not see many on the raod is I think a lot of people are afraid of being pulled over by the police for running them. I have never been stopped while using one.

Rob Mayes
    I just avoid riding at night, because you will find it hard to be seen under any circumstance.

But I like low and wide mounted running lights. I installed a $20.00 set from Walmart and they seems to keep people from pulling out in front of me.

I also like the size of my rear tail lights. BMW made them very effective.

As 26667 suggests, I also run high beams on during the day.

Wife surprise:)

She ordered the "Sam Brown" style belts around waist and shoulder "high viz" gear out of Ireland somewhere and they came in yesterday. I had no clue she ordered them, but we had been talking about getting something. Ireland, I asked? She got a fair deal(11-12$ total for 2,UK Dollars), however and they came quickly through Customs, via USMail and we had to sign for them, Registered Mail. They are the high viz yellow variety and are bright. I Tried mine yesterday and it goes on/off very easy with little to do. Anyhow, we're in like Flynn now. Happy Trails, Randy PS; Data...."NiteViz",Sam Browne Belt....Made in China and quality is fair for the amount spent. They are NOT high end, but the reflective material is really good. Very light duty and may last a few years, heavy vinyl material. Purchased at; "Chain Reaction Cycles",7 Kilbride Rd.,Doagh,Ballyclare.Co.Antrim,N.Ireland.BT39 OQA...Phone+44(0)2893352976...Thats all, Don't you love those foreign addresses! Boy, they give the data in an address and the mail still gets here. Randy

High Vizzzzzzzzzzz

I got a new white helmet just because I read here how helpful it can be. I wear ATGATT and earplugs mostly after joining this site. I know your right. ItÔÇÖs a pain in the tail to get ready each time but better a pain now than later. Every time you come up with a good idea I take to it like a dog to a bone. As well I should.

Now I am ordering a new vest. It is the right thing to do. Makes perfect sense.

This is a photo of me about to go to the grocery store. I have added a little extra gear which appears to help people avoid me. Even when I pull into parking lots people give me parking spaces its just amazing. I think itÔÇÖs the white helmet!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    R and R

Quote Originally Posted by RJM2096 View Post
    I just avoid riding at night, because you will find it hard to be seen under any circumstance.

But I like low and wide mounted running lights. I installed a $20.00 set from Walmart and they seems to keep people from pulling out in front of me.

I also like the size of my rear tail lights. BMW made them very effective.

As 26667 suggests, I also run high beams on during the day.
    Rob,

Does that license plate frame help with conversations on the side of the road?
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Imagine my surprise when I realized this was not a greeting to Ian Schmeisser.

Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.