Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tire Plugger gets a D-

Thanks for the great video. We need a Hall of Wisdom similar to ADVRIDER to collect this type of information.
    Jim Johnson, OP Kansas
    Marcus Aurelius: "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

Fort Collins, Colorado and Cheyenne, Wyoming

Thumbs up

+1 on the hall of wisdom. Very helpful vid.

2002 R1150GS
    MOA #104910, Twisted Shaft Motorcycle Club #241

A side note on "gummy use"-make sure you have a quality insertion tool, i.e., not made out of soft steel, as it will bend easily and frustrate you (when you are already ticked off @ the flat situation anyway!) , especially with stiff tread/belted tires-like most these days.

You should have quit while you were ahead.

You were ahead when you discovered the problem when the bike was in your garage.

Since NO tire manufacturer approves ANY patch method except a flat patch applied on the inside of the tire, you should understand that the sole use for externally-applied plugs is to recover from an emergency so you can get the tire to a tire store for proper repair.

Since you were in your garage it wasn't an emergency, and you should have just removed your wheel and had the flat repaired properly.

I suppose if you don't know how to remove the wheel and needed to ride the bike to a dealer for tire repair, plugging might have been a useful course of action. That's the only one in your situation.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Great instructional video. Thanks. I bought the Stop n Go before this thread got started. The concept looked pretty good. After reading the various posts, I stopped by Harbor Freight and picked up a DynaPlug. Maybe having both and a cell phone to call roadside assistance will guarantee that I never have a flat again...

Great instructional video. Thanks. I bought the Stop n Go before this thread got started. The concept looked pretty good. After reading the various posts, I stopped by Harbor Freight and picked up a DynaPlug. Maybe having both and a cell phone to call roadside assistance will guarantee that I never have a flat again...or maybe not.

Mudbug
    I have a Stop n Go plugger kit. I used it once. Worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    You should have quit while you were ahead.

You were ahead when you discovered the problem when the bike was in your garage.

Since NO tire manufacturer approves ANY patch method except a flat patch applied on the inside of the tire, you should understand that the sole use for externally-applied plugs is to recover from an emergency so you can get the tire to a tire store for proper repair.

Since you were in your garage it wasn't an emergency, and you should have just removed your wheel and had the flat repaired properly.

I suppose if you don't know how to remove the wheel and needed to ride the bike to a dealer for tire repair, plugging might have been a useful course of action. That's the only one in your situation.
    Hey, Chris, you weren't there, you have NO CLUE where I live or how my day was planned, which was part of the decision to use the plugger; I'm far from my dealer and don't relish any drive that I can change to a ride with a bit of ingenuity! Your derogatory attitude weighs very little in my books, since I didn’t ask for your advice in the first place. The tire was worn out before the flat so it was a great opportunity to try out the plugger. I reviewed this product in a well lit garage under the best of conditions, and it still flunked the "first use test"I am sure with a second chance, it would go easier, but many of us who don't profess perfection in emergency tire repair with the plugger would have trouble with the application. My review says NOTHING about about if it would work like a flat patch; with that comment, you missed the boat! We all know this is a temp fix, made for temp circumstances, duh!

Have a wonderful day, Chris! Happy Trails!

Dale
    Last edited by redclfco; 11-17-2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Have a good day!

Like some others, I purchased a Stop N Go plugger in anticipation of my first flat tire. The video Munieo posted was great....thanks. It's always to see something used to learn some tricks for success. Struggling to understand instructions printed on small piece of paper, while crouching next to the road, holding a flashlight in your mouth isn't my preferred way to learn.

Thanks again for taking the time to do this!
    98 R1200C Canyon Red

Muneio
    No problem. Glad it was helpful.

keelerb
    Wsteinborn, you said:

Well, red IS the fastest color..........

OBVIOUSLY, you don't ride a Ducati - YELLOW is faster!

professor
    I had a flat on my rear tire three days ago. It was the first time to use my Stop N Go plugger. I followed the directions and it worked just fine. I have a Slime air compressor (very small) that I fitted with a BMW plug to fit the auxillary power jacks. After repairing the tire, I fired up the compressor. It took about 5 minutes to inflate to 40 pounds and the tire has not lost a bit of air in three days. The tires were ready to be replaced anyway, so I'm putting a new set of Dunlop Roadsmarts on today.

I have carried the Stop and Go plugging kit for over 60,000 miles, and used it to fix flats on the side of the highway over a dozen times. I actually used all the plugs that came with the kit and ordered more from parts unlimited. The plugs have never failed. The closest a plug ever came to failing was a nail that was right on the edge of a tread. After many miles the plug kind of slid down into the gap allowing a slight leak out the high side. It still got me home. I would practice if possible and not just throw the thing away after one bad experience. Maybe you didn't ream out the hole good. Maybe you did..... I'm just saying...... it is a good plugging kit and it is clean and fast.

I always carry both an air compressor and CO2.

Just my 2 cents.
    Christopher Ross, Lubbock, Texas

2012 R1200GSA
    1974 R90S

gulfcoastbeemer
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRoss View Post
    I have carried the Stop and Go plugging kit for over 60,000 miles, and used it to fix flats on the side of the highway over a dozen times.
    Over the years, I have used my Stop & Go Pocket Tire Plugger kit several times to repair tire punctures. I've found it easy to use and it has never let me down.

Muneio's above video clearly leads you through the process.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MechanicSavant View Post
    Wally-mart type stores sell a "gummy-rope" type tire plug kit fer less than $20 that & a small 12v compressor is to my mind "the hot set up"
    ps I've had less than adequate results from stop n go
    Yup - what you said.

In my opinion, tire plugging is like the wheel - it didn't need to be re-invented by 'Stop 'n Go.'

SLIME Tire Plugging Kit ($8) @ Wal-Mart ('gummy worms') and a 12v compressor should be SOP on any motorcycle. Wrote a review on 'How To' in the August '10 issue of ON.

CO2 cartridges are for paintball guns.

However, to each their own.

Now back to the 3-5 inches of snow smothering Sheboygan (WI) today - Yuk!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track