Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tire Plugger gets a D-

From the IBMWR site

Dynaplug Tire Repair kit, a description, By Joe Dille
    Comment from Brian Curry:

I got this from Joe Dille from a demo that was done at a local Philly Area Mac-Pac meeting. Since patching tires is always an item of interest and I have done summaries on it before, here is another system, and reviewed by someone else.
    Also, the sales person / demonstrator reported that shipping would be waived it several units were shipped to a "club". Sounds like a good group purchase to me.

I also saw an advertisement for it from Griot's Garage out of Tacoma WA. 800-345-5789 Price in there was (Part# 36805) US$11.95 for the kit with (Part#36806) 5 refill plugs for US$4.95. They raved over it.

And with that, here is Joe:

Here is a little better description on the Dynaplug plug and tool.

The Dynaplug system uses a small brass-tipped gummy-worm for a plug which is inserted by a hand tool with a tubular tip. The gummy stuff is dry, but smushes under heat and pressure to make a seal. This is the "secret" of the Dynaplug.

The Plug (Very approximately actual size)

| |
    | |
    | | <-------- Gummy worm (3/16" dia)
    | |
    | |
    {-} <-------- Brass Tip With Shoulder
    V

Insertion Tool with Plug Installed

( ) <----- Removable top

* * <----- Hollow handle for storing the
    parts of the kit

*___*
    | |
    | |
    | | <----- Insertion Tube
    | |
    | |
    | |
    -----
    { } <------ Plug tip with worm part in tube
    V

Installation is super simple. Roll the worm between your thumb and forefinger to straighten it out and work out any kinks. Put the worm in the tool as shown, worm first. Locate the object and remove it from the tire taking note of the angle the object entered the tire.

Put the sharp point of the plug in the hole and push it into the puncture in the same direction as the puncturing object. A good smack with the heal of your hand will drive it in all the way. This is important since the point on the plug will make its own hole if not applied in the correct direction. The plug will seal the new hole, but the original hole will still leak :-(.

Now pull the tool out and inflate the tire with the supplied CO2 and valve. The CO2 should be held nozzle down so it will not freeze in the cartridge and will discharge fully. Now spit on the repair to check for leaks. A leak indicates the hole is too big for one plug and you need to install a second. Run the tire for a few miles to warm the repair, which enhances the sealing and bonding action of the gummy-worm. Trim off the excess "worm".

In a car tire the repair is permanent. In a bike tire it is considered temporary due to the higher flex rate of the bike tire. The kit looks complete and well made.

My notes:

Eric [Ducati Rider, BC] used it on his 748 [Ducati, BC] and it worked like a champ. He was back in action by the time Anton [Battery Man, BC] rode to the next exit and turned around.

The sales dude said there was a guy that had a hole from a 5/8" piece of rebar. He fixed it with 5 plugs and it worked.

I tried the tool on a practice tire and it worked! Took 60 seconds.

The small plug with sharp tip is unlikely to damage any additional cords in the tire.

The sales dude had about 200 plugs in his demo tire. He had an additional 20 or so in his car tires.

I think I will get a kit for the EML. This is a lot cheaper than a flat bed ride. Are any other Mac-Packers interested?

You can learn more at www.dynaplug.com or call 800-486-8122.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe Dille
    Telford PA USA

The Dynaplug looks like a well thought out solution. It addresses the dificulty of securing the plug to the tool and providing an easy insert and exit from the tire without a need for reaming the hole.

The small rubberized ropes that you fold over in the insert tools also seem to be a good way to plug tires. I think NAPA has those type of plugs

The key is to avoid enlarging the hole any more than is necessary. The more stress you put on the tire reaming out the hole and forcing a large tool into the layers of rubber and steel, the greater potential for leaks and separations.

Rob Mayes
    www.cyclecranks.com | 2000 BMW R1100RT (Current) | 2000 HD DynaWide Glide (Current)
    1985 Honda Magna V-65 | 1970 Norton Commando | 1966 Triumph Chopper | 1962 Honda 125 Sport

My VOTE, Gummy worms:),

I've done so many over the years and the gummies work best, period. I slime a little rubber cement on the gummies first and they go in fairly easy, with a screw in motion. This works on most all nail puntures,etcetc of reasonable sized holes in the tire. A bolt, or other larger objest will probably cause issues with any plugging. Most of mine have been nails and smaller objects.
    On a recent trip through the NW, my wifes KLR650 got a flat rear as we came into Libby, Montana. A tiny something got her rear tire. We carried tubes. Before the tube change ordeal, we also carried a bottle of SLIME for tube tires and put it in to see if it worked as a repair. We were to buy a new tire in Seattle the next day anyways, because the tire was nearly worn to the point of replacement. WELL, the Slime worked so well for the 500 mile ride to Seattle, loosing NO air, I was pleasantly surprised and we made it to the new tire in Seattle. My point is, you may carry want to carry some of this stuff(Slime), for those very small puntures and do the plug at home. We put it in the tire and pumped it up right away, with NO air loss for a full days ride.
    I still carry the gummy worms and KNOW they work, without issues. Randy

Mobile air vs CO2

I have designed/copied a great product. It is currently on the market for off road vehicles but I mearly scaled mine down. Take a 20 oz paintball tank (or bigger) purchase a "remote unit" (part that attaches to the tank, has a coiled hose and a female connector) find, if you can and micro male connector then put a lockable open air chuck in the other end. This will fill both of my rt 1100 tires if needed. As for the "plug and go" units, I have had no luck on my bike but I fixed my daughters tire and it has ran clean for over two years despite my request for her to get a new tire.

U just use a compresser. Smaller than a paintball tank.

Got a question about gummy worms. I have always been told that the brown worms are better than the black ones. Is this the general consensus?

Some of you know Voni.

The tire plugs she carries in her R1100RS are RED rubber plugs.

Are these the "best" ?

I don't know, and she doesn't care.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Well, red IS the fastest color..........

I have tried the Stop n Go and ended up wasting more than 1 plug and my time doing it. I only carry the 'sticky rope' with T handle insertion and reamer tools. They have never failed me or any others I have fixed the holes for. The last time I used one was just north of Quebec City on the side of the highway. Fixed and on the way in less than 15 minutes. The hardest part was finding the staple that made the very slow leak. I use a modified 12v compressor (all the plastic thrown away along with the gage too) rewired to fit the aux plug on the bike. Ridden with the 'rope' installed for many miles with no problems ever.

Quote Originally Posted by redclfco View Post
    Long story short, I shoved BOTH of these failed plugs inside, took one try with my old fashion plugger my dad gave me 20 years ago (the greased rope 20+ years old) and it held on the first try, tire now deflated, no effort, and no work; I then sliced it level, and have been riding errands to town 20+ miles today with nary a lb. of loss of air.
    I had one of those installed by the nice folks at the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) maintenance facility when I picked up a leak on the way to their annual Fly-In event. The tire would hold air for about 2 hours enabling me to limp there.

That greased rope lasted for the life of the tire. Nothing like low-tech...it always works.

Brown ones, YES;

NAPA sells the brown gummies and they seem to be better indeed than the black ones I used way back when. I have kept the brown NAPA sold ones for years without any of them drying out, or going bad. I know they are ultra sticky and need some rubber cement to lubricate them as they go in, otherwise its a really hard push to get them in place. Work fast. Randy

In '04 my buddy decided to head on our trip to James Bay and then through Labrador with cheap truck stop gummies in his tire. Yes, that was plural. Two side-by-side. I didn't know that until we got well onto the dirt in Labrador. We had already gone 1500 miles by then. We did have to replace them, but with a bit of rubber cement, they got us all the way to St. John.

Me on the other hand got a sheet metal screw just outside Lab city. I used the pocket tire plugger and went about 1/2 mile before the belts cut the plug and spit it out. Left the mushroom inside the tire. I used one of his gummies and put another 5000 miles on that same tire.

I go with gummies. If I get a hole in the front tire. I get a new one tire that day. If I get a hole in the rear tire, I put in a gummy and forget it.

I get my tire repair kits for about $5 at truck stops. They have not failed me ever. I just don't recommend putting two side-by-side and HEADING TO LABRADOR BRAD!!!!
    You know what? Stupidity SHOULD be painful!

Passing comment - I have a mushroom cap style tire plugger that worked well 1 out of 1 times.

I also carry a small portable compressor. The CO2 charge is great for my mountain bike but worth squat on a real tire.

For those on CanBus equipped bikes make sure you can run the compressor before you need to use it.

Mine would trip the shut off in about 3 seconds, i.e pulled more than 10a.

To solve that problem I rewired my rear accesory port directly to my Centech fuse panel and selected a 20A port.

I wired it with suitable gauge wire.
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Dyna Plug +1

Well, I had the pleasure/displeasure of waking up to a flat tire on my van yesterday. It was a 3" screw that had gone right into the "corner" of the tire. Not on top but not in the side wall either. Basically a spot that any michelin dealer would tell you to replace the tire becuase of the roll in the tire in that area when cornering.
    I carry the old traditional plugger with gummies as well as my new Dynaplug
    Long story short....unscrewed the #10 wood screw and pushed a dynaplug in the hole. Very easy to do and about 2 seconds later, done. The temp outside was about 0 C or 32F so I was a little concerned being on the cool side as it would probably work best with a little heat.
    So far not 1 lb of air loss.
    The problem with our bike tires is the stiff casing which I believe would make this tool the easiest to use.
    Picked mine up at Harbor Freight.
    John

Stop and Go Tire Plugger

I also decided to try my tire plugger on a tire I was about to replace. Had no problems made this video of it.
    Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    My Blog Facebook Twitter