Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 09 RA rally?

Vegas was a joke, taking it from a post a few years ago started by Harvey Cohen when people were complaining about the MOA rally in Charleston.

RE: the RA rally ... I heard several things, but the rumor I think might be closest to the mark is the Ozarks.

The RA is much more laid back than the MOA. I suspect they'll let us know as soon as they know. And by the way - yes, I have been a member of both clubs since I started riding.

Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Director - Ambassador
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

WV would be perfect if it's back to back weekends. That's the rumor I'm starting. You heard it here first!
    robert

I've also heard that it's Maine the week after the MOA. Being a vendor myself they really need to post this as early as possible.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by nplenzick View Post
    I've also heard that it's Maine the week after the MOA. Being a vendor myself they really need to post this as early as possible.
    I don't think this would be a wise move. In addition to having time to get there, vendors would need time to restock and those of us who don't live in the city would need time to catch up on projects at home (mowing lawns, attending to livestock, and many other things that need doing when you have a few acres).

Also, the significant other who stayed at home will not easily agree to the long absence from home and many companies don't allow back to back vacations due to workload division. The office I worked in before I retired let each employee pick their first week based on seniority and they it cycled through until all vacation was chosen. Two weeks in July was impossible.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Maine would be OK. But like I heard, it's going to be in WV. Probably er... Definetely Charleston. Yes Charleston WV,

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by aaaaaa View Post
    Maine would be OK. But like I heard, it's going to be in WV. Probably er... Definetely Charleston. Yes Charleston WV,
    I would like Charleston. The MOA rally was a disaster because the rally was to large for Charleston to handle and the weather was horrible. I think the RA rally would work well there. I met some of the nicest people who were natives of Charleston when I went to the MOA rally and they were not at all like the media depicts them.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

I don't think it will be W.V. as the RA did one there a few years ago. Maine would be interesting and a first as I do not believe the RA or MOA has held a rally in that state yet. Just a guess on my part. I gave up trying to predict what the RA will do. One reason I love that club.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

BMW RA, if U come to Arkansas plez pick a wet county. Don't need no repeat of Fontana. Lots of dry counties in the Arkansas Ozarks.

BMW RA, if U come to Arkansas plez pick a wet county. Don't need no repeat of Fontana.

RA Rally in Canada!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    +1
    I know just the location!!
    The Kiltmeister
    The Kiltmeister
    BMW MOA Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Kiltmeister View Post
    I know just the location!!
    The Kiltmeister
    RA rally in Canada?! I'd DEFINITELY make it to THAT one. I just Hope they pick a good date so I can get the time off from work! I love riding in Canada!
    Josh Metzger - Toledo, OH
    BMWMOA#123695, ABC#8463
    1978 R80/7, 1993 R100GSPD

Hey, why not Fontana?

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    BMW RA, if U come to Arkansas plez pick a wet county. Don't need no repeat of Fontana.
    Gee, Fontana would be a great place to have a RA National (Yes, I remember the tank at the gate,no beer, and every third car cruising through was a Fed!) But look, all the folks that caused that mess are gone now, and the county governments would really like to show us a good time. I got a feeling there would be FAR less speed traps on our second trip to Fontana! Let's bury the hatchet and "Return to Fontana"!

Actually, my bet for the RA site is north of Fontana and will be held around the time of the MOA fun in Gray.
    Last edited by Rev.Willie; 11-04-2008 at 04:17 PM.
    Onward, through the fog!

Two comments. I attended my first RA rally this year. The weather was perfect, and the riding in the UP was excellent. It was much smaller than a MOA rally, but well organized. I did a stint at the registration table, and everyone was great.

I have attended several MOA rallies. Much larger, very well organize, many more vendors, and lots of nice folks. My first was the Charleston rally, and IMO it was the best. I don't camp, and having the assets of a great town to enjoy made it a first class event. We were welcomed with open arms by the entire city. I agree about the weather, or at least the part when the beer tent came down during my shift, but just can't buy the repeated complaints about the site. Not everyone camps. Its been years, get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn45 View Post
    My first was the Charleston rally, and IMO it was the best. I don't camp, and having the assets of a great town to enjoy made it a first class event. We were welcomed with open arms by the entire city. I agree about the weather, or at least the part when the beer tent came down during my shift, but just can't buy the repeated complaints about the site. Not everyone camps. Its been years, get over it.
    +1!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

A vote for camping

I do camp at National Rallies because I like to stay close to the "action" at the rally and I do not want to drive after I have visited or worked the Beer Tent. The National at Charleston did not feel like a National Rally because everything was separated by several miles. The folks that camped at the college (where the Beer Tent was located when it was not getting blown-away) had a good location, with access to lots of bathrooms and campus food outlets. All the folks that did not camp by the river ended up spread over a large area and had little connection with other rally-goers. The vendors and the seminars were too far away to walk to and a lot of people did not get the chance to enjoy the assembly hall. The folks in Charleston were good hosts, as has all the towns that have hosted MOA and RA Nationals, but it was NO FUN trying to drive through city traffic to get to the rest of the rally. I want to ride my bike to the rally, but I really do not want to ride that much when I am at the rally, so I am against the "urban rallies" and would like to continue to have National Rallies at large fairgrounds or off-season resorts. All the folks that do not want to camp can go ahead and find a nice room at some motel/hotel, and I would hope that the club will provide shuttle buses for their transportation to-and-from the Rally site.
    This is important to me because I serve as a Head Bartender at the Beer Tent and I really do not want to worry about putting drunk riders on the road [Can you say Dram Shop responsibilities and lawsuits involving volunteer,amateur bartenders?] We work hard at keeping control at the Beer Tent, and we will cut somebody off if they have had too many, but I do not want to work under those legal pressures and not having a Beer Tent is NOT an option for me-- I will not attend a National Rally that does not have a Social Hall/Beer Tent on site.
    Onward, through the fog!