Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 09 RA rally?

Is no one disturbed by the lateness of the annoucement? It took them until December last year. I've posted over on the RA forum too and whle there was a few comments, there has hardly been dissent.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev.Willie View Post
    All the folks that do not want to camp can go ahead and find a nice room at some motel/hotel, and I would hope that the club will provide shuttle buses for their transportation to-and-from the Rally site.
    This is important to me because I serve as a Head Bartender at the Beer Tent and I really do not want to worry about putting drunk riders on the road [Can you say Dram Shop responsibilities and lawsuits involving volunteer,amateur bartenders?] We work hard at keeping control at the Beer Tent, and we will cut somebody off if they have had too many, but I do not want to work under those legal pressures and not having a Beer Tent is NOT an option for me-- I will not attend a National Rally that does not have a Social Hall/Beer Tent on site.
    And there is the problem: only Charleston had shuttle buses. If all rallies had them, everyone would be happy and served (with beer!).
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

Quote Originally Posted by jeremell View Post
    Is no one disturbed by the lateness of the annoucement? It took them until December last year. I've posted over on the RA forum too and whle there was a few comments, there has hardly been dissent.
    It certainly makes it difficult for some folks to plan ahead. That's what I find most frustrating.
    Maria 2009 F650GS
    www.bmwbmw.org

Angry

And there is the problem: only Charleston had shuttle buses. If all rallies had them, everyone would be happy and served (with beer!).

Never saw a shuttle bus & they SURE didn't go to the RV park at the baseball stadium.

RA home pages states that the location will be announced on Side Stand Up, Tuesday 11/18 @8pm.
    http://sidestandup.com/default.htm
    Maria 2009 F650GS
    www.bmwbmw.org

I'm a bit... disappointed in this choice.

First, this pretty much guarantees that I can't attend because getting vacation through a two-ish week period is likely out of the question, plus I have other trips I'd like to take around that time. Aside from having the rallys spaced out a bit time-wise, I liked having different locations to choose from - that gives more riding opportunities.

I know not everyone will agree with me, and I HAVE read the post explaining why they chose these dates. I guess we'll see if people stick around from the MOA to attend the RA rally or not. Hopefully it will be a good turnout for them, as I had fun with the RA at the Biltmore rally.
    Josh Metzger - Toledo, OH
    BMWMOA#123695, ABC#8463
    1978 R80/7, 1993 R100GSPD

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmetzger View Post

First, this pretty much guarantees that I can't attend because getting vacation through a two-ish week period is likely out of the question, plus I have other trips I'd like to take around that time. Aside from having the rallys spaced out a bit time-wise, I liked having different locations to choose from - that gives more riding opportunities.

I know not everyone will agree with me, and I HAVE read the post explaining why they chose these dates. I guess we'll see if people stick around from the MOA to attend the RA rally or not. Hopefully it will be a good turnout for them, as I had fun with the RA at the Biltmore rally.
    yeah, that's kinda my problem I can't do both and still have enough time to do the 3 or 4 local rallies I like to do and the two weeks of vacation with the better half. And if the SR Fof that I host is moved from June at Seneca Rocks to July with the RA that pretty much means its RA for me, just have to see what the /5 U. group votes for. Certainly is would be an easy ride for me, almost too easy, I've never been to an RA rally, but then again I've never done an MOA rally, 'cept for Charleston WV which by all accounts doesn't count. Ha Ha!

Oh well.....

RM

I think it's a great date, at a great location (spent several days at Canaan Valley last summer - riding in the area is great, and the park is wonderful, with very friendly people running it.)

I've already got my plans - do MOA from Thursday to Sunday, ride out into TN, then KY, then back towards WV and arrive at Canaan Valley on Weds, rally on until Sunday and ride home.

Sounds like a plan to me! Whoopie!
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Jul23 - july 26 2009. Back to Caanaan Valley, WV BMWRA

I'm going to try like heck to do 'em both, but it's not looking good right now. I've got the MOA in pen on the calendar, but the RA will have to go on in pencil. Would love to do the MOA >>> BRP >>> RA.
    -Mike

'02 R1150R
    '88 R100RS

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by R100RS View Post
    I'm going to try like heck to do 'em both, but it's not looking good right now. I've got the MOA in pen on the calendar, but the RA will have to go on in pencil. Would love to do the MOA >>> BRP >>> RA.
    Yeah, that would be a good ride. take your time to explore some of the side roads that cross the BRP like 220 near Little Switzerland and others, lots of nice falls as well thou many are a good hike off the roadway. 3 days will allow for plenty of time to explore and I've found that going north bound there is generally less traffic, I think because there are more large cities on the northern end so most folks do it south bound then head home on the slab and even in summer weekdays are less crowded along it. Even thou its 45 MPH limit I usually find you can maintain 65, just watch out for park patrols (and critters!). there are some nice camping spots as well, and even 2 MC only campgrounds just off it a few miles.

here's a very good site for info on it, with servcies, history of the building of it and points of interest, including a 4 section detailed map that print out nicely http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

RM

Quote Originally Posted by R100RS View Post
    Would love to do the MOA >>> BRP >>> RA.
    if you wind up doing that, i strongly recommend you not take the BRP back home.

otherwise, you'll be missing the best roads!

Quote Originally Posted by jdmetzger View Post

No matter what they do schedule wise there become winners and losers. Voni just last week commented to me we ought to plan to visit my sister next summer. The RA rally makes it perfect. MOA in Tennessee - leave Sunday for Leesburg, VA. Spend three days visiting my sister, then the whole 150 or so miles over to the RA Rally.

Then upwards and onwards to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland (or so Voni has informed me )
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by BMWPhreak View Post
    Canaan Valley Resort will be providing shuttle buses during the RA rally. I'm not sure exactly how far they will go away from the park, but I'll find out.

Biltmore had them also. It really made sense there, but I get the feeling there weren't enough.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org